'23 MD DE Jason Moore (Offer)

DCDomer

Reaction score
He had a chance to prove that in the Fiesta Bowl against an inferior opponent than Ohio State.

giphy.gif

Sea Turtle

Reaction score
That was Elston's dress rehearsal for the DC job. He shit the bed, and is no longer employed by ND. I don't think we lose that game if Freeman takes the reins back on calling the defense sooner.
I hope you're right about that. Rees pooped the bed too after one half.

I'm just saying that it was a golden opportunity. One that most don't get. He takes a 28-7 lead and, let's be honest here, he blew it. As in so bad that we are getting trolled by Oklahoma State on St. Patrick's Day.

Dale

Reaction score

I'm just saying that it was a golden opportunity. One that most don't get. He takes a 28-7 lead and, let's be honest here, he blew it. As in so bad that we are getting trolled by Oklahoma State on St. Patrick's Day.
The horror!

No one disagrees they, not Freeman in particular, but they blew the Ok St game. The dumb thing is acting like that proves or doesn’t prove anything

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score

Disagree. Certainly wasn’t his best effort in the second half but he had some plays that the players simply didn’t execute that would have made a big difference in the game.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
Rees did fine. We had a three possession lead a couple minutes before the half against the 2nd best defense in the nation. We lost the game because Elston's front-7 couldn't pressure or contain Sanders.
I'm just saying that it was a golden opportunity.
It was, but it was also a very weird situation. It was his first ever game as a HC, he'd only just gotten the job less than a month beforehand, the assistant coaches were in complete disarray following Kelly's departure, and we didn't have Kyren or KHam. Shoulda coulda woulda, but you probably can't draw reliable long-term conclusions based on the crazy set of circumstances surrounding that game.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I’m thinking Moore doesn’t give a rat’s ass about the Fiesta Bowl.

In Sea Turtle’s defense, The Office is overrated. Yeah, I said it. :banana:

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
Wow you guys really lose it when anybody posts even the most anodyne Freeman-sceptical take huh

Having an opinion is fine. It's the fact that Reaper and Sea Turtle are two of the board resident contrarians/trolls that get people riled up. Nobody knows if Freeman is going to be a great coach. We're all aware this is a calculated gamble with no guarantee of success. We also all watched the bowl game.

To come to a board full of people invested enough to be following college football in May and say something like "he needs to win games or his recruiting means nothing" is 1) so obvious and reductive that it's bordering on stupidity, 2) unnecessarily pessimistic on a thread that is otherwise having a positive moment because we're the favorite for yet another top 50 recruit.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
Having an opinion is fine. It's the fact that Reaper and Sea Turtle are two of the board resident contrarians/trolls that get people riled up. Nobody knows if Freeman is going to be a great coach. We're all aware this is a calculated gamble with no guarantee of success. We also all watched the bowl game.

To come to a board full of people invested enough to be following college football in May and say something like "he needs to win games or his recruiting means nothing" is 1) so obvious and reductive that it's bordering on stupidity, 2) unnecessarily pessimistic on a thread that is otherwise having a positive moment because we're the favorite for yet another top 50 recruit.

If I've learned anything about the internet, it's if you love something... spend some time on a fan message board and you'll learn 3k reasons why its not as great as you think and you should feel depressed about it.

Luckily... I only obsess about 3 things enough that I regular their message boards, and IE is the least bad at this phenomenon.

Maybe thats why folks like the aforementioned posters stand out so much.

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
That was Elston's dress rehearsal for the DC job. He shit the bed, and is no longer employed by ND. I don't think we lose that game if Freeman takes the reins back on calling the defense sooner.

Did MFMF take over at some point?

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
Did MFMF take over at some point?
Allegely yes, though too late. I'd have to go back and watch the game again to figure out exactly when it supposedly happened, but most of the damage had already been done by then. He would have had to give Elston the hook early in the 3rd quarter to change the outcome, and that would have been a tough thing to do to a nice guy during his try-out.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
Allegely yes, though too late. I'd have to go back and watch the game again to figure out exactly when it supposedly happened, but most of the damage had already been done by then. He would have had to give Elston the hook early in the 3rd quarter to change the outcome, and that would have been a tough thing to do to a nice guy during his try-out.
To be honest. I think MF should have insisted TB be put in as well to take time off the clock and make them respect the run.

There were mistakes made no doubt. But thats to be expected.

There was also incredible excitement and optimism to be had the way they came out. I never saw an ND team come out looking like they wanted to run through a wall in a big game the way I saw them in the Fiesta Bowl.

At least not under BK.

We would have never been up by that much under his coaching, but we would have never given up so much either.

Teaching moments, son.