'23 MA WR Ronan Hanafin (Clemson Verbal)

Dale

Reaction score

Clemson our main competition but this sounds like the type of commit that’d take Hanafin’s potential spot.

NDMatt91

Reaction score
Hickey says that Hanafin to ND is "a matter of time". Also confirmed that Clemson badly wants him at WR. FWIW
They're having some tough luck with the WR's on their board. Hanafin appears ND bound and Tyler Williams and Christian Hamilton appear to be trending to UGA and UNC, respectively.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Feels good to read that.

And, I realize that when the heavy hitters come calling, everybody takes notice. Though, I’ve never felt like we weren’t going to win this one. Just felt like a young man that was taking a reasonable approach to the process and would always come back to where it started.

irish o'phile

Reaction score
It’s crazy that ND is going against the top programs for these guys and getting them. It’s a big change from when Kelly was here. ND always lost to Clemson, Bama, etc. during those years.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
It’s crazy that ND is going against the top programs for these guys and getting them. It’s a big change from when Kelly was here. ND always lost to Clemson, Bama, etc. during those years.
MF isn't afraid of these guys.

Jiggafini19Deux

The Pope of Greenwich Village
Reaction score
MF isn't afraid of these guys.
Right. Rees isn't either. Truthfully, the entire staff is all in and it's showing in the results early. Imagine what happens should results on the field yield positive results. Especially offensively.

Attitude regarding recruiting starts at the top and permeates down and around the program.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For posterity sake, no they didn't. Didn't win enough and weren't consistent enough but you don't win as much as we did without these types of players.

arrowryan

Reaction score
Freeman and Co deserve a lot of credit for what they’ve done with the 2023 and 2024 classes. Their endless, and sometimes cheesy, efforts have not gone unnoticed.

With that being said, Hanafin is someone they should land 100 times out of 100. He’s from the Northeast and goes to a academically rigorous school that costs $57k/year.

It doesn’t get much more Notre Dame than that.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
To Lucci's point it may be worth noting here that Hanafin is not really your typical Bama/Clemson/Georgia recruit. He goes to an extremely rigorous private high school in Boston (at least 1/3 of his classmates will go to Ivy League or equally-selective schools for college). He was a three-star who blew up, not a five-star camp jockey. Fit-wise, he's the sort of player the prior regime specialized in and who absolutely should go to Notre Dame.

Which is not to say the prior regime necessarily would have reeled him once the big dogs joined the hunt. So good on Freeman & co. if they do indeed finish this off.

T-Boone

Reaction score
I don’t think of Clemson in the Alabama Ohio State Georgia group. They get maybe 2 top 50 players per year.

Jiggafini19Deux

The Pope of Greenwich Village
Reaction score
Clemson just went 10-3 and it was more of a disaster than a down year let alone anything to write home about.

They're at the top of the pile right now with those other three. In fact, I'd put them ahead of UGA at present in terms of recent body of work going back the last five years.

House16

Reaction score
Clemson just went 10-3 and it was more of a disaster than a down year let alone anything to write home about.

They're at the top of the pile right now with those other three. In fact, I'd put them ahead of UGA at present in terms of recent body of work going back the last five years.
I think T-Boone was saying from a recruiting point of view, and I agree. While Clemson has absolutely been on par or better than anyone over the last 6 years or so, they've been doing it by punching well above their recruiting weight and through outstanding quarterback play. Their team talent composite has been on par with ours most of the last six years.

T-Boone

Reaction score
I think T-Boone was saying from a recruiting point of view, and I agree. While Clemson has absolutely been on par or better than anyone over the last 6 years or so, they've been doing it by punching well above their recruiting weight and through outstanding quarterback play. Their team talent composite has been on par with ours most of the last six years.
Thank you.

arahop

Reaction score
BK never walked up to a dime piece in his life and had a conversation
Just checked 247 composite overall team talent. They have 10 5 Stars. We have one.
I feel like Freeman will be good for 2 a year. I think ND has a real chance at finally storing some 5 stars.

Hanafin looks like a hell of WR to me. Hope he sticks there.

Irish du Nord

Reaction score

I’d put UGA ahead of Ohio State. What have they done to deserve the acclaim? UGA would win the little 10 pretty much every year too if they were in OSU’s shoes

Reaper97

Reaction score
I really, really want Marcus Freeman to be Lou Holtz (since my first year of following ND was Holtz’s in 1986), but people are acting like BK was Ty.
Charlie Weis recruited like Marcus Freeman is now & Charlie couldn’t coach.
Marcus didn’t impress in his debut. (F-)

So before we all get too excited, let’s watch Marcus coach. Winning games is the goal. Not winning recruiting battles. BK won a lot of games despite his negatives.

WilliamWallace

Active Member, Yes
Reaction score
I really, really want Marcus Freeman to be Lou Holtz (since my first year of following ND was Holtz’s in 1986), but people are acting like BK was Ty.

So before we all get too excited, let’s watch Marcus coach. Winning games is the goal. Not winning recruiting battles. BK won a lot of games despite his negatives.
BK managed his way into success at the expense of others. Cheers to him for avoiding the inevitable for soooo long, I guess? Too many negative records set by a top notch university.

But, I don’t disagree, I also want MF to be the one, we/they/us definitely deserve it. Time will tell, and I don’t hold the first game against him. We will soon see how game two plays out. And until then, I’ll enjoy the recruiting.

irishtrooper

Reaction score

I feel like Weis recruited offensive talent extremely well and had some great defensive talent too. ProblEm seemed to be severe lack of depth. The bottom and lower bottom of the class seemed to lack good depth pieces. Also the assistant coaches and CW didn’t really develop the depth well. That being said I agree that MF is getting top players at a clip not seen since Weis. I’m excited and expect it to go better than with Weis because 1) Better talent and depth to start with thanks in large part to the BK consistency 2) Seems to connect better with the players, they like him. Not because he is flashing rings but because he has gotten results as DC and has the cool factor 3) MF has hired assistant coaches that are strong recruiters and doesn’t seem threatened by their previous work (Golden)

Just my thoughts, but there seems to be some steak with this sizzle

T-Boone

Reaction score

Did Weiss have good assistants around him?

DCDomer

Reaction score

F- lol... Why? Because Elston cant call a game?

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
Neither could Rees in the second half. Almost like only one staff made halftime adjustments.
Rees gave us a 3 possession lead with 1:16 left to go in the first half against the #2 defense in the nation. Freeman handed Elston a top-10 defense and the dude couldn't find a way to stop the 38th ranked offense from marching up and down the field for the entire 2nd half.

Those two things are not remotely comparable, and this argument doesn't get any more convincing each time you repeat it.

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
Rees gave us a 3 possession lead with 1:16 left to go in the first half against the #2 defense in the nation. Freeman handed Elston a top-10 defense and the dude couldn't find a way to stop the 38th ranked offense from marching up and down the field for the entire 2nd half.

Those two things are not remotely comparable, and this argument doesn't get any more convincing each time you repeat it.
Not to mention that he set up the offense for a number of plays that would have lead to scoring in the second half but we’re missed by the players on the field. Tommy Rees had nothing to do with us losing that game.

arahop

Reaction score

He's recruiting better than any coach since Lou. That is 90% of the battle in college football.
"It's about Jimmy's and Joe's, not X's and O's"