'23 LA QB Arch Manning (Texas Verbal)

Polish Leppy 22

Reaction score
Will be very intriguing to watch him and Texas his first two years in parallel with his third year when they go to the SEC, especially if Saban is still there.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
A&M fans are worse as they think the same thoughts but have a crum of the history, but yeah,… I hope Oklahoma survives the transition because their base is far more tolerable… just me.

I am almost expecting OU to pull a Nebraska and just fall apart,… two of the few reasonable blue blood fan bases just getting shat on for years would be so ‘modern cfb’

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
It makes sense. UT jumped from 42nd to 12th in Adjusted Line Yardage between 2020 and 2021, and their 2022 OL haul was elite.

Sark obviously cares about whether he'll be fielding a competent defense, but that's probably of secondary concern to the Mannings. An underperforming blue-blood program with a huge fanbase, a good OL, and plenty of elite offensive skill talent is all he needs to win a Heisman and leave after three years as the first pick in the draft.

If he wins a Heisman, he's going to have to be on a team that wins games. Lamar Jackson won a Heisman on a 9-4 team. He's the exception.

The QB position gets judged by wins and losses, fair or not. If they're going to win games, they need a defense that's better than 99th in the country to get their program where they want to go and to get where the Mannings want Arch to go.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
If he wins a Heisman, he's going to have to be on a team that wins games. Lamar Jackson won a Heisman on a 9-4 team. He's the exception.

The QB position gets judged by wins and losses, fair or not. If they're going to win games, they need a defense that's better than 99th in the country to get their program where they want to go and to get where the Mannings want Arch to go.
Arch's last name is going to guarantee him serious Heisman consideration as long as he's putting up numbers. Sark needs an elite defense to win a title. Arch doesn't need one to accomplish his own goals.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
I do believe you're correct that real life could be different than fantasy football, and in this particular case there is zero doubt. This is a Power Five college football program with a dumpster fire issue on the defensive side of the ball.

Last year they scored 35 per game and allowed 31 per game (99th in 'Merica out of 130). They went 5-7 and didn't get a 5-7 "there are two many games so we need teams" invite to a bowl.

They've been hot garbage defensively now for some time.
Peyton might subscribe to having a bad defense. Poor guy had great offenses and put up greats stats but always had a bad defense.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Arch's last name is going to guarantee him serious Heisman consideration as long as he's putting up numbers. Sark needs an elite defense to win a title. Arch doesn't need one to accomplish his own goals.
We'll see. I don't see the pundits and scouts giving Arch a pass just because of who he is. Maybe to some degree. Winning games is everything for Quarterbacks in the eyes of the people who matter when it comes to the Draft and awards.

Last name or not, he's going to have to be putting up whack ass video game stats if he's losing 4-5 games a year for the train of thought to suddenly change that he's a winner even though his team isn't winning. I get he's a Manning, but the people who vote for these awards have their own set of standards and ego, too. This would be one hell of an exception for them to break protocol. None of this is to say that Sark can't right the ship and get the defense turned around in time for Arch to arrive on campus, but that remains to be seen. Alabama and Georgia already have the proven infrastructure, and the Mannings know this, so to your point I think they see what Sark is offering as it relates to them specifically on offense for Arch.

That being said, even with the defense having the ability to not get much worse than it is, if they're losing games the questions are going to be asked no matter how many yards and TD he throws for.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Peyton might subscribe to having a bad defense. Poor guy had great offenses and put up greats stats but always had a bad defense.
He had two losing seasons with the Colts. His first and his fourth. Won 10-14 games in the rest.

In college, they went 8-4 his freshman year. 11-1, 10-2, 11-2 the rest of the way.

If Peyton had played on crap teams, he'd have just been his dad in the end.

Whiskeyjack

Staff member
Reaction score
We'll see. I don't see the pundits and scouts giving Arch a pass just because of who he is. Maybe to some degree. Winning games is everything for Quarterbacks in the eyes of the people who matter when it comes to the Draft and awards.
He'll be playing in a Big-12 with Oklahoma in major rebuilding mode post-Riley. He's not trying to win games in the SEC-W.
Last name or not, he's going to have to be putting up whack ass video game stats if he's losing 4-5 games a year for the train of thought to suddenly change that he's a winner even though his team isn't winning.
Welcome to the Big-12.
I get he's a Manning, but the people who vote for these awards have their own set of standards and ego, too. This would be one hell of an exception for them to break protocol. None of this is to say that Sark can't right the ship and get the defense turned around in time for Arch to arrive on campus, but that remains to be seen. Alabama and Georgia already have the proven infrastructure, and the Mannings know this, so to your point I think they see what Sark is offering as it relates to them specifically on offense for Arch.
Sark is a proven commodity when it comes to producing elite offenses. He did it as an assistant to Carroll at USC, as HC at USC, as an assistant to Saban at 'Bama, and had Texas looking very dangerous at times last year despite losing Ehlinger and all the cultural rot at UT.
That being said, even with the defense having the ability to not get much worse than it is, if they're losing games the questions are going to be asked no matter how many yards and TD he throws for.
Absolutely. 5-7 isn't gonna cut it. But the Mannings are betting on Sark to make UT's offense elite within the next couple years, and to at least have the defense stop underperforming it's talent level. I'd say that's a pretty good bet. A top-5 attack and a top-20ish defense is all Arch needs to do reach his ceiling (whatever that is).

Whiskeyjack

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with LAX. Arch is overrated.
6kndh8.jpg

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Think he'll turn out like Jimmy Clausen where the hype is so outrageous that he can never possibly live up to it, even if he's a very good QB.
Then a second round pick, a brief NFL career, cup of broadcast coffee and whatever Jimmy's doing with his life now.

Whiskeyjack

Staff member
Reaction score
Think he'll turn out like Jimmy Clausen where the hype is so outrageous that he can never possibly live up to it, even if he's a very good QB.
Lotta similarities there. Sark also brings Weis' "decided schematic advantage". But Ol' Charlie didn't get to play in the defense-optional Big-12 with his biggest rival recently brought low by a coaching change. Point being, I wouldn't bet against Arch putting up big numbers in Sark's offense during his time at UT. Whether Sark can fix the defense, clear out the cultural rot, and got a hold on the Longhorn's meddling boosters is another question.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
He'll be playing in a Big-12 with Oklahoma in major rebuilding mode post-Riley. He's not trying to win games in the SEC-W.

Welcome to the Big-12.

Sark is a proven commodity when it comes to producing elite offenses. He did it as an assistant to Carroll at USC, as HC at USC, as an assistant to Saban at 'Bama, and had Texas looking very dangerous at times last year despite losing Ehlinger and all the cultural rot at UT.

Absolutely. 5-7 isn't gonna cut it. But the Mannings are betting on Sark to make UT's offense elite within the next couple years, and to at least have the defense stop underperforming it's talent level. I'd say that's a pretty good bet. A top-5 attack and a top-20ish defense is all Arch needs to do reach his ceiling (whatever that is).
He's playing in the Big 12 for one year. Texas goes to the SEC in 2024 do they not?

DCDomer

Reaction score
Feel for the kid in a way. He's got his family to fall back on, but there is a ton of weight on the shoulders of an 18 year old who has probably never experience real adversity.

Domina Nostra

Reaction score
Feel for the kid in a way. He's got his family to fall back on, but there is a ton of weight on the shoulders of an 18 year old who has probably never experience real adversity.

Didn't have it rough growing up like his old man and his uncles.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope he starts in '23 when Texas and UC are both in the Big XII together... Luke Fickell will put that poor freshman phenom in a mental pretzel, and the Bearcats D will outscore the Longhorn O.

#GoBearcats #CatsBy90

Rack Em

Community Bod
Reaction score
Lotta similarities there. Sark also brings Weis' "decided schematic advantage". But Ol' Charlie didn't get to play in the defense-optional Big-12 with his biggest rival recently brought low by a coaching change. Point being, I wouldn't bet against Arch putting up big numbers in Sark's offense during his time at UT. Whether Sark can fix the defense, clear out the cultural rot, and got a hold on the Longhorn's meddling boosters is another question.
And, both Sark and Weis liked to overindulge. One on the booze and one on the Little Debbies.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
It's looking like 2025 for Texas and OU to join.
So two years in the Big 12. Assuming he starts in 2023.

His prime years in college will be in the SEC.

I still think going 11-2 is better than going 8-5 if all the personal stats are equal. Winning games is good for the brand of any starting QB. You can put up stats playing for Mike Leach if that's what it really amounts to. The idea that suddenly team accomplishments and personal accomplishment/talent suddenly get separated for this particular QB would be a surprise to me, even if it is a third generation Manning QB.

Archie played on some trash New Orleans teams as a pro. I have think Sark has to be selling them on the entire rebuild that encompasses all phases.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Didn't have it rough growing up like his old man and his uncles.
Archie had it rough. I think his three sons were quite comfortable, but only because Archie went out of his way to be a good father and was being paid as a professional football player.

Archie's story is rather sad. His dad committed suicide and Archie was the one who found him. It was ultimately what shaped him as a person and athlete.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
While he was still playing, I was around Peyton a couple of times outside of the FB world. The guy is intense and focused. If Arch has half of what his uncle has, he'll be just fine.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
He had two losing seasons with the Colts. His first and his fourth. Won 10-14 games in the rest.

In college, they went 8-4 his freshman year. 11-1, 10-2, 11-2 the rest of the way.

If Peyton had played on crap teams, he'd have just been his dad in the end.

Peyton had a top 10 defense with the colts maybe 4 times. In contrast Brady has had one just about every year he has ever played. Peyton's team were not crap because of Peyton but were crap without him... which is how they drafted Andrew Luck #1 after his DNP season. Colts 2-14 without Manning.... NE was 14-6 without Brady. As a Manning and Colts fan... a lot Manning's teams were bad.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
Eh,… his side chicks will make even the most stunning IE wags look like beef jerky,… kid will be fine

calvegas04

Reaction score
Should have changed his last named, would like to have seen where he would be ranked then.