'23 LA QB Arch Manning (Texas Verbal)

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score

Ohhhh
Now I see what NBC has been working on with their NIL collective...
Now I see what's going on with Dante, Freeman and Rees passed on him...

Tbh would be a boon for ratings. Tennessee and Ole Miss fans would tune in every Saturday. They have nothing to look forward to anyway.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Archie really wanted Peyton to go to ND apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ndaccountant

Old Hoss
Reaction score
Probs what they said about Peyton and Eli too?

Fun facts. Peyton was rated #2 Qb by our boy Tom Lemming. Who was #1 that year? Josh Booty. While at UT Peyton, Peyton finished in the top 10 in passing yards for each of final year years. There were 2 QB's that finished ahead of him two out of the those three years. One was Danny Wuerffel. Name the other. Answer is Steve Sarkisian (highlight text to see).

Eli, on the other hand, was ranked 11th best QB by Bobby Burton. #1 that year was a son of a different NFL QB.....Chris Simms. Other names on that list include Sexy Rexy Grossman, Kyle Boller, JP Losman and that asshole CJ Leak.

Eli's ranking of 11 was probably a bit too. But IMO, both Phillip Rivers & Big Ben had a more distinguished college career than Eli during those years. So I don't think he was as clear cut as Peyton.

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score
Fun facts. Peyton was rated #2 Qb by our boy Tom Lemming. Who was #1 that year? Josh Booty. While at UT Peyton, Peyton finished in the top 10 in passing yards for each of final year years. There were 2 QB's that finished ahead of him two out of the those three years. One was Danny Wuerffel. Name the other. Answer is Steve Sarkisian (highlight text to see).

Eli, on the other hand, was ranked 11th best QB by Bobby Burton. #1 that year was a son of a different NFL QB.....Chris Simms. Other names on that list include Sexy Rexy Grossman, Kyle Boller, JP Losman and that asshole CJ Leak.

Eli's ranking of 11 was probably a bit too. But IMO, both Phillip Rivers & Big Ben had a more distinguished college career than Eli during those years. So I don't think he was as clear cut as Peyton.
Ahhh yeah this was all before my time. This is awesome info!

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
Eli is on the right, is Peyton supposed to be the guy on the left? Can anyone confirm Peyton was there or did Golson cheat on this exam as well?

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Both had massive spotlights on them though. in fairness. Regardless of rankings a ton was expected of both for sure.
Peyton was a hell of a ballplayer in college. Came back his senior year to win the SEC and come in second in the Heisman.
Eli wasn't quite that but really he was pretty good too. Put Ole Miss back on the map.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Archie really wanted Peyton to go to ND apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't the story that we took Powlus or someone instead and they were upset about it for awhile? Imagine how different things would've looked with Peyton Manning in blue and gold...
MFMF won't let Moore commit because Arch is our guy.

Lax gonna watch some tape to reevaluate his opinion?
I stand by my opinion that Arch Manning is the most overrated player I have ever seen on film. He has the film of a low 4-star QB prospect. Everyone assumes -- possibly correctly -- that because of his pedigree that his intangibles will outweigh his measurables. They assume that he will be crazy accurate, get the ball out quickly, be able to read defenses, and do everything else a top QB is supposed to do. Which, again, might be true... but he doesn't show anything special on film. He looks good, not like a "generational" talent like some laud him to be.

I'll also add that my opinion on Dante Moore is not the highest, but it's certainly higher than mine of Manning.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
Isn't the story that we took Powlus or someone instead and they were upset about it for awhile? Imagine how different things would've looked with Peyton Manning in blue and gold...

I stand by my opinion that Arch Manning is the most overrated player I have ever seen on film. He has the film of a low 4-star QB prospect. Everyone assumes -- possibly correctly -- that because of his pedigree that his intangibles will outweigh his measurables. They assume that he will be crazy accurate, get the ball out quickly, be able to read defenses, and do everything else a top QB is supposed to do. Which, again, might be true... but he doesn't show anything special on film. He looks good, not like a "generational" talent like some laud him to be.

I'll also add that my opinion on Dante Moore is not the highest, but it's certainly higher than mine of Manning.
Players like Arch probably peak very early. Sure he will get better but imagine how much money they have thrown at Arch in training. Growing up in that family he can probably read a defenses just as good as some NFL guys.

I would not want Arch playing for ND. If Arch is a flop it will not be the fault of any Manning. Bad game the media will asking Peyton and Eli more questions than Freeman. Exposure might be fun initially but I agree, if you take the Manning name off the film he would probably be down the line as a 4*

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score

Arch gets the same treatment Bronny gets. I don't think Bronny has any scholarship offers still outside of some low level D1 teams, yet he somehow is in the top 50.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Arch gets the same treatment Bronny gets. I don't think Bronny has any scholarship offers still outside of some low level D1 teams, yet he somehow is in the top 50.
The HS I coach at (not basketball) played Sierra Canyon and beat them this year. Watching the game, I was shocked at how un-special he was. He was a good HS player, nothing more and nothing less. He was not even close to the best player on the court. Struggled to get his own shot all game, no court presence, mediocre offball player. But the announcers were falling all over themselves to make every basic basketball play he did into something spectacular. "OOOOooo what a spectacular pass by Bronny!!" ... when actually it was just a basic fundamental bounce pass any middle schooler can make. Things like that.

It's just crazy how much politics and exposure play into these kinds of "rankings."

GowerND11

Reaction score
The HS I coach at (not basketball) played Sierra Canyon and beat them this year. Watching the game, I was shocked at how un-special he was. He was a good HS player, nothing more and nothing less. He was not even close to the best player on the court. Struggled to get his own shot all game, no court presence, mediocre offball player. But the announcers were falling all over themselves to make every basic basketball play he did into something spectacular. "OOOOooo what a spectacular pass by Bronny!!" ... when actually it was just a basic fundamental bounce pass any middle schooler can make. Things like that.

It's just crazy how much politics and exposure play into these kinds of "rankings."
Look at their game this year against Camden (NJ) in Allentown PA this year. The Camden team looked MILES better, and their top prospect (Number 1 overall in '23) was FAR superior than anyone on Sierra Canyon.