'23 KS QB Avery Johnson (Offer)

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
It's so predictable, we will miss out on the big 3 and then ramp up our pursuit of Avery, and at that point he'll be down to two schools with one really standing out. And it'd be a school we beat out 9/10 times, but too much relationship will have formed by then.

So the only way to ensure that doesn't happen is to give Avery the green light to commit right now and stop chasing the big 3. Is that what you want ND to do?

Free Manera

Reaction score
So the only way to ensure that doesn't happen is to give Avery the green light to commit right now and stop chasing the big 3. Is that what you want ND to do?

I doubt any of the big 3 are going to be scared off by Johnson committing. You could potentially take him, and continue recruiting the others. If you get one and Johnson jumps ship, so be it.

dad4aa

Reaction score
I doubt any of the big 3 are going to be scared off by Johnson committing. You could potentially take him, and continue recruiting the others. If you get one and Johnson jumps ship, so be it.

Or you accept his commitment and then keep recruiting other quarterbacks over him and he gets frustrated and takes other visits before decommitting and we’re in the same position

stpeteirish

Reaction score
Indeed. Most highly recruited QB’s expect to be the one in their class and won’t commit or stay committed if there’s another in the loop

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
Yes - I think his film is better than Vinzz-whatever anyway. Much more mobile too.

THIS.... I am not one for agreeing with Driskell often, but agreed that he is RAW as a passer, but his athleticism is so good that for me it's hard to pass up. Made a good point that if he doesn't pan out at QB, is athletic enough to move to WR or something like that. I mean, dude runs a 4.5, looks to have at least a decent arm and loves ND by all indications. I would lock him up now.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
Most athletic QB hoops tape since Smokin Jay…if you don’t include Jalen Suggs.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
What is the argument against taking this guy? That we're not going to get the kid from Alabama whose name we misspelled? Or the one who just committed to Oklahoma?

Take him now and tell Dante Moore that, if Dante's as good as advertised we'l take them both and maybe he'll be throwing to Johnson for the next few years.

Dale

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s necessarily entirely QB board related that he is not a “take”. He’s extremely raw, it’s possible they wanted to see his JR year or even how he progresses in the off-season or SR. Highlights are just that highlights, Sinclair watched one of his games and said he also had some head scratchers.

Irish4life

Reaction score
What is the argument against taking this guy? That we're not going to get the kid from Alabama whose name we misspelled? Or the one who just committed to Oklahoma?

Take him now and tell Dante Moore that, if Dante's as good as advertised we'l take them both and maybe he'll be throwing to Johnson for the next few years.

Because he's extremely raw to the point where he might not be a take.

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
Because he's extremely raw to the point where he might not be a take.

Yet he was good enough after throwing for Tommy to offer? I mean, how many guys did they bring on campus to throw and NOT offer? I don't think he is so raw that he may not be a take, I just think he is #4 or #5 on Tommy's board, he is Tommy's safety school. Problem is, Nico (likely not a ND guy), Arnold (OU), Vizzina (not like the others) and Moore (who knows, most think he's a M lean).

I am in the camp that you lock him up, you have an honest conversation with him... that he is raw, needs to refine some things, and won't be a day 1 starter. If he is self aware enough, he shouldn't blink at that. If he does, well then he isn't mentally tough enough to play QB in the fishbowl that is ND. I mean worst case, he can't hack it at QB, so he becomes a WR or S? Oh the horror right?

Irish4life

Reaction score
Yet he was good enough after throwing for Tommy to offer? I mean, how many guys did they bring on campus to throw and NOT offer? I don't think he is so raw that he may not be a take, I just think he is #4 or #5 on Tommy's board, he is Tommy's safety school. Problem is, Nico (likely not a ND guy), Arnold (OU), Vizzina (not like the others) and Moore (who knows, most think he's a M lean).

I am in the camp that you lock him up, you have an honest conversation with him... that he is raw, needs to refine some things, and won't be a day 1 starter. If he is self aware enough, he shouldn't blink at that. If he does, well then he isn't mentally tough enough to play QB in the fishbowl that is ND. I mean worst case, he can't hack it at QB, so he becomes a WR or S? Oh the horror right?

If I recall correctly he earned his offer on his athletic testing and throwing session in front of Tommy. I don't doubt the kid has athletic ability or arm talent. I think he'd be the perfect 2nd QB in this class, kinda like how Angeli would've been a perfect 2nd QB in the 2022 class.

Free Manera

Reaction score
He's a freak athlete but has a ton of wild cards. His scouting report says he can be erratic/inaccurate, and his arm strength is uncertain. He also needs to add weight and strength.

He is a great guy to take a flyer on, but he can't be the only QB ND takes this year. They need as sure a thing as they can get, because the QB room comprises 1 high upside but unknown guy (Buchner) and 2 guys that would need to get much better to be power 5 starters, let alone playoff-caliber quarterbacks. Taking projects every year at QB is not gonna work.

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
If I recall correctly he earned his offer on his athletic testing and throwing session in front of Tommy. I don't doubt the kid has athletic ability or arm talent. I think he'd be the perfect 2nd QB in this class, kinda like how Angeli would've been a perfect 2nd QB in the 2022 class.

Correct, he was on campus, worked out for Tommy and got an offer. If history is any indication, Tommy can be (right or wrong) stingy with his offers. He like him enough to say, here is a scholly to ND. Would he be a "better" 1B then 1A? Maybe, eye of the beholder stuff. In todays game, I think Johnson could be a game changer. It might take him a couple years. Now, if TB is what we think he is, then it is a perfect situation. If you watch Johnson throw, he doesn't really drive from his legs (or so it appears) and I have heard the same from the talking heads. THAT being said, he has what looks like some good arm talent and a 4.5 40. Throw in some QB whisper sauce and you may have a game changer.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
He's a freak athlete but has a ton of wild cards. His scouting report says he can be erratic/inaccurate, and his arm strength is uncertain. He also needs to add weight and strength.

He is a great guy to take a flyer on, but he can't be the only QB ND takes this year. They need as sure a thing as they can get, because the QB room comprises 1 high upside but unknown guy (Buchner) and 2 guys that would need to get much better to be power 5 starters, let alone playoff-caliber quarterbacks. Taking projects every year at QB is not gonna work.

Great. Then take Johnson on potential and keep recruiting the guys above him. If Moore or whoever sees himself as a true QB1, he won't be scared off by a project below him on the depth chart. And if Johnson has to be QB1, he can go elsewhere if we land someone better.

Free Manera

Reaction score
Great. Then take Johnson on potential and keep recruiting the guys above him. If Moore or whoever sees himself as a true QB1, he won't be scared off by a project below him on the depth chart. And if Johnson has to be QB1, he can go elsewhere if we land someone better.

Agree, I said that earlier in a thread somewhere. But only if Moore is cool with not being the only QB in the class. I think the same way you do though, that he likely is not going to care if you recruit his backup.

Johnson could be Michael Vick someday so taking a flyer is cool. But he cannot be the only guy you get.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
We ain’t getting Moore so that’s a moot point anyways.

IrishRazor82

Banned
Reaction score
Assuming he doesnt have terrible hands, I'd 100% take this kid at WR right now. We need 4 and have none in the bag, and his speed is Styles-esque.

Dale

Reaction score
Our boy Hopkins making a ton of sense with this logic:

“Notre Dame has turned up the heat on Johnson in the past couple of weeks. Which is certainly a signal they are losing confidence in Moore.”

“don’t let this be a signal to you that Oregon feels less confident with Dante Moore. That’s not the case.”

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Our boy Hopkins making a ton of sense with this logic:

“Notre Dame has turned up the heat on Johnson in the past couple of weeks. Which is certainly a signal they are losing confidence in Moore.”

“don’t let this be a signal to you that Oregon feels less confident with Dante Moore. That’s not the case.”

I’m highly skeptical Hopkins would report on ND heavily recruiting Johnson for the last two weeks prior to any ND beats. Given his history, I’m wondering if he’s putting this out and feeding Dante bullshit

CoachB

Reaction score
So if Dante's visit blew him away then why offer another QB the Monday after he leaves?
Exactly! They were holding out hope for Dante. Once he visited and they realized his heart was Gold and Blue, they realized they better move on to their next option. Dante and the Irish are such a perfect fit for one another. He is a smart kid with a smart family. They know what they get with an ND degree.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
What most likely happened is they told Dante look here is your NIL deal take it or leave it but you need to commit now and he probally told him no thanks.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
So if Dante's visit blew him away then why offer another QB the Monday after he leaves?
Unless someone can come up with a logical counter argument to this thought, we need to stop the freak out concerning Dante and Oregon.