Virginia Tech
Washington State
Wisconsin

Last edited:

clashmore_mike

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
On campus now per Tom Loy, could be next in line for an offer after making a good impression on staff.

P_Rose

Reaction score
He will be playing at our Stadium here in Derby, Ks on Oct 15th. Looking forward to checking him out. On a side note Derby is the hometown for Notre Dame football team doctor Matt Leiszler. His parents live 2 houses down from me.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
End of June turned into end of July and here we are. No time like the present. Let's OFFER!

Dale

Reaction score
I remember the first day the staff was tweeting those graphics about their virtual visits to HSs Tommy tweeted he was “in” Kansas. Few mins of digging said this guy was the only possible reason lol

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember the first day the staff was tweeting those graphics about their virtual visits to HSs Tommy tweeted he was “in” Kansas. Few mins of digging said this guy was the only possible reason lol

FWIW, I believe those were broken down by region and that's Rees's region. So, more coincidence than targeted towards Avery.

And, I don't believe they were targeted at specific prospects but the schools, staff, and faculty.

Dale

Reaction score
FWIW, I believe those were broken down by region and that's Rees's region. So, more coincidence than targeted towards Avery.

And, I don't believe they were targeted at specific prospects but the schools, staff, and faculty.

I know how the process works but okay lol. Just guessing Tommy likely checked in on Maize HS knowing a QB target was there. I’d hope so at least haha

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, you said this was the only possible reason Tommy was in Kansas and I was simply explaining that wasn't the case.

He was in Kansas because that's his region. And for the national push they were taking regions and reaching out to the schools they wanted to target in those regions. Not even specific prospects. Now, there were schools that had targets at them because we tend to recruit a lot of the same schools every cycle but it certainly wasn't setup that way. At least that's not how ISD explained it to it's readers.

Some of the schools actually had no current targets at them. It was more about relationship building.

Dale

Reaction score
Well, you said this was the only possible reason Tommy was in Kansas and I was simply explaining that wasn't the case.

He was in Kansas because that's his region. And for the national push they were taking regions and reaching out to the schools they wanted to target in those regions. Not even specific prospects. Now, there were schools that had targets at them because we tend to recruit a lot of the same schools every cycle but it certainly wasn't setup that way. At least that's not how ISD explained it to it's readers.

Some of the schools actually had no current targets at them. It was more about relationship building.

Good grief did it seem like the post was being serious? It was me remembering how I knew his name and making a passing anecdote. Lighten up one time

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good grief did it seem like the post was being serious? It was me remembering how I knew his name and making a passing anecdote. Lighten up one time

I'm not mad or upset. I'm simply clarifying for the board that what you said was not the case. No reason for it to go this far. You can choose to respond or not but it's ok to be wrong or to misspeak/type. I have not been offensive or rude, in any manner. Please try to refrain from making this a silly back and forth situation when all I've done is politely corrected the mistake. That's all.

Dale

Reaction score
I'm not mad or upset. I'm simply clarifying for the board that what you said was not the case. No reason for it to go this far. You can choose to respond or not but it's ok to be wrong or to misspeak/type. I have not been offensive or rude, in any manner. Please try to refrain from making this a silly back and forth situation when all I've done is politely corrected the mistake. That's all.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
This dude's the most athletic out of all of the QB's the staff swapped follows with the first go around.

Accomplished hooper too. He'll poke on ya in a heartbeat if you get in his way.

My first impression was I liked him 2nd after Nico I. Dante Moore would be a better catch for Starpoints & better to have a Great Lakes product for recruiting to help out but they could do a lot worse as an athletic prospect.

Really interested to find out what this means. Unusual circle back at this time.

Dale

Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/avery2johnson/status/1420174386925953025?s=21[/TWEET]

Offered.

NDIrish88

Reaction score
This dude's the most athletic out of all of the QB's the staff swapped follows with the first go around.

Accomplished hooper too. He'll poke on ya in a heartbeat if you get in his way.

My first impression was I liked him 2nd after Nico I. Dante Moore would be a better catch for Starpoints & better to have a Great Lakes product for recruiting to help out but they could do a lot worse as an athletic prospect.

Really interested to find out what this means. Unusual circle back at this time.

Agreed. Seems fishy, like maybe Dante is out or maybe they are trying to rush him? Odd timing.

BUT . . .this kid can sling it. Very athletic like Bobby said. Pocket collapses and keeps his eyes down field.

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
Dynamic looking player……..and once he puts on some additional muscle weight, he could be a baller if he’s got the mental make-up to go with it.

Dale

Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/isdupdate/status/1420184433508880384?s=21[/TWEET]

Wonder considering the decent names with offers that were on campus in June, how much better Rees viewed Johnson’s workout as. What type of gap we talking (apparently an offers worth size gap)

Dale

Reaction score
Loy said in addition to his throwing, he ran a 4.5 in his workout

NDIrish88

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't read too much into the twitter chatter, but Dante Moore and Carnell Tate are putting A LOT of pro ND content out together. This offer seems to have odd timing.

That being said I wouldn't be unhappy if this kid ended up being the QB ND takes for 23. Looks like a good athlete and gamer to me.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Not odd or strange IMO. There's what, one QB commit so far for 22 & 23? If you find one you like offer them.

Dale

Reaction score
From his 247 and Rivals updates, him and Rees really really hit it off. Rees loved his competitiveness and sounds like Johnson could sense it from Rees too.

Said he is gonna decide after JR season.

I like that timeframe for ND. I think Moore is aware QBs commit earlier as well and you can full court press Moore and push for a commitment this fall and if does not work out Johnson is likely wanting to see what he can get offer wise during the fall and you turn to him if Moore goes elsewhere. A good shot at Moore with a good shot at Johnson as your other option may be all Rees rides with. I can’t see Hudson, Dorman etc getting offered anytime soon right now.

Rivals: https://bit.ly/2VcqFjs
247: https://247sports.com/college/notre...Avery-Johnson-Offer-Fighting-Irish-168396740/

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't read too much into the twitter chatter, but Dante Moore and Carnell Tate are putting A LOT of pro ND content out together. This offer seems to have odd timing.

That being said I wouldn't be unhappy if this kid ended up being the QB ND takes for 23. Looks like a good athlete and gamer to me.

I don't think it's odd at all. Tommy needed to expand the board in the worst way. They found one they like and put on a pretty good show for him. Honestly, I would like them to expand the board another scholarship or two.

Dale

Reaction score
Loy called NDs lead “significant” but others may be higher on the board here

P_Rose

Reaction score
Avery will be playing at my local high school (Derby High School, same high school as Notre Dame team doctor Matt Leiszler) on Oct 22nd. I will try to get some video of his play. Derby is the defending state champs and have won 6 of the last 8 state titles. Derby also has 3* RB Dylan Edwards that played some youth ball with Avery.

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
QB recruiting for 2023 is in a pretty phenomenal spot. Makes sense why they were content to take the "low risk" option in Angeli.

317Irish

Reaction score
QB recruiting for 2023 is in a pretty phenomenal spot. Makes sense why they were content to take the "low risk" option in Angeli.

I know you’re referring to the staff’s thought process or what it appears to be, but I completely disagree with this logic and it has second to third tier program written all over it.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
I know you’re referring to the staff’s thought process or what it appears to be, but I completely disagree with this logic and it has second to third tier program written all over it.

Yeah we should be bringing in a Buchner, Moore, Nico every single cycle. Let them compete for the job and whoever is on the outs can transfer. Angeli is a wasted class in terms of the QB spot.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah we should be bringing in a Buchner, Moore, Nico every single cycle. Let them compete for the job and whoever is on the outs can transfer. Angeli is a wasted class in terms of the QB spot.

Very bad juju here.

200.gif