‘23 KS OL Joe Otting (Notre Dame Verbal)

Dale

Reaction score

Offers

Iowa
Baylor
Kansas State
Kansas
Iowa State
Minnesota
Notre Dame
Missouri
Nebraska
New Mexico

Highlights

Dale

Reaction score

Tommy going rogue in Kansas this week? Interesting offer to say the least

Last edited:

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Per Christian at ISD, Tommy watched him workout and sent footage back to HH. Then had a conversation with HH after which they offered.

Also sounds like he’ll be a lineman camp attendee so they’ll get to see more of him in-person.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
Per Christian at ISD, Tommy watched him workout and sent footage back to HH. Then had a conversation with HH after which they offered.

Also sounds like he’ll be a lineman camp attendee so they’ll get to see more of him in-person.

Smells like a potential diamond in the rough situation. Love hearing that the offer came after a workout.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score

I'm no expert.

But this sounds like people are doing WORK

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
Admire Rees' work ethic (always have) but offer can't be actionable yet can it? We have to get Coach Hiestand being the one watching a workout don't we? Hard to believe that Tommy has the eyes for the future OLine final decisions.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
Admire Rees' work ethic (always have) but offer can't be actionable yet can it? We have to get Coach Hiestand being the one watching a workout don't we? Hard to believe that Tommy has the eyes for the future OLine final decisions.

i think this answers those questions OMM.

I was just looking at McShay's projected first round for next years NFL draft and it has 2 OL from within a 3 hour drive that we offered, evaluated in person and passed on. Were these from Harry's time or Quinn's?

Anyhow, I cant help but draw some correlation to wondering about Trevor Lauck.

McShay's early 2023 NFL mock draft: Where could top prospects, five QBs land in Round 1?

CoachB

Reaction score
Kid is a pancake machine. Love how he finishes blocks. Also, like his motor. Doesn't give up on plays. Fun film to watch.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW,

Otting attends Hayden Catholic. It seems it's always listed as Topeka Hayden which makes it sound like a public school.

Otting's Catholic too.

Rogue219

Reaction score
BTW,

Otting attends Hayden Catholic. It seems it's always listed as Topeka Hayden which makes it sound like a public school.

Otting's Catholic too.
Good. Conditioning is always easier. Stand, kneel, sit. Stand, kneel, sit.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
Whimsically ... on the stand/kneel/sit imagery --- My US Men's National Olympic Weight-lifting Coach brother, Coach Tim Swords of Houston, de-emphasizes weight-training in positions one does not play the sport in --- example "on one's back." (or knees). He doesn't eliminate things like bench-pressing but they go into a secondary place to Olympic types of lifting plus heavy squats. He trains hopeful Houston high schoolers looking for NCAA football playing opportunities out of his own gym in Houston when he's not in Colorado Springs or taking squads overseas. (Successfully by the way, as he is now in the weight-lifting Hall of Fame.) Tim's techniques create powerful, explosive, and even fast athletes. ... so no "kneel/stand" conditioning for him, no matter how Catholic the kid is :)

In other news, recruiting in BBQ restaurants would have had major appeal for my three behemoth brothers back in the day. NIL vs BBQ? "I'm thinking Wings."

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
Whimsically ... on the stand/kneel/sit imagery --- My US Men's National Olympic Weight-lifting Coach brother, Coach Tim Swords of Houston, de-emphasizes weight-training in positions one does not play the sport in --- example "on one's back." (or knees). He doesn't eliminate things like bench-pressing but they go into a secondary place to Olympic types of lifting plus heavy squats. He trains hopeful Houston high schoolers looking for NCAA football playing opportunities out of his own gym in Houston when he's not in Colorado Springs or taking squads overseas. (Successfully by the way, as he is now in the weight-lifting Hall of Fame.) Tim's techniques create powerful, explosive, and even fast athletes. ... so no "kneel/stand" conditioning for him, no matter how Catholic the kid is :)

In other news, recruiting in BBQ restaurants would have had major appeal for my three behemoth brothers back in the day. NIL vs BBQ? "I'm thinking Wings."
I've seen more people migrating to this approach.

It seems many are starting to see the value of explosive power developed using Olympic lifts - cleans/snatch/jerk and all their variations are wonderful exercises. Then the pure strength exercises help develop the raw power needed for the explosion.

Then a series of supplemental exercises to address deficiencies so power can be transmitted on the court, field, etc.

stpeteirish

Reaction score
BTW,

Otting's Catholic too.
A Catholic school in Hayden, Kansas. Its not 8 man football is it?

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Premium Sinclair Interview with Otting’s HC.

“He's one of the best (basketball) players in the state no matter the classification. We're a 4A school, so he got First Team All-4A in every publication. And then (among) kids from 1A small schools all the way up to 6A, he got Second Team (honors). Joe's a great basketball player too, man. He's special.”

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
Alt is 6'8" 305 lbs. Folks on ISD podcast are sceptical Otting's frame can handle 300 lbs or more though and hes strictly gonna be an interior guy

Dale

Reaction score
Reminder bump he’s camping today, ahead of his OV in a few weeks

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
Loy CB

Let the WHY's? begin.
It makes sense to take some high ceiling guys who won’t transfer out if they aren’t on the two deep by sophomore year.

That said, this probably indicates ND’s position with its other targets isn’t as strong as people have assumed.

allenm5333

Reaction score
It makes sense to take some high ceiling guys who won’t transfer out if they aren’t on the two deep by sophomore year.

That said, this indicates ND’s position with its other targets isn’t as strong as people here believe.
To me, this and paige CBs make me have a bad feeling on freeling

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
If Coach Hiestand sees the potential, all the rest of this looks good to me. Otting is a rebounder who will probably beat a lot of Kansas basketball players up this year (he only averaged 9ppg last year but this year will probably jump.) Allegedly he has good BBall footwork. He's a shot-putter in track and supposedly decent at that. (Good shot-putting needs both footspeed and flexibility to go along with power punch.) Iowa's coaching staff seemed to like him a lot, and the interview with Otting was very impressive. Kid said all the right things right on the nose. His high school coach said something surprising to me (and welcome): "Joe is probably best at center long term." Getting a big mobile guy who WANTS to play center ain't bad.