'23 FL DE Keon Keeley (Offer)

TNUtoNotreDame

Reaction score
This class is not uneven. Some of the Weis or even BK class had multiple guys ranked hundreds of spots lower than our lowest commit.
How can you call it not uneven. No QB is enough to call it uneven. That is the key position on field and we have sucked at recruiting it.We may scramble and get a 3 star, but it will still be a letdown. The class is going to be a swing and a miss. I am a member on other teams boards and they knew what was coming for us and predicted this coming apart. Losing Keeley is massive and missing on Dante. No way to sugarcoat that turd.

Dale

Reaction score
How can you call it not uneven. No QB is enough to call it uneven. That is the key position on field and we have sucked at recruiting it.We may scramble and get a 3 star, but it will still be a letdown. The class is going to be a swing and a miss. I am a member on other teams boards and they knew what was coming for us and predicted this coming apart. Losing Keeley is massive and missing on Dante. No way to sugarcoat that turd.

It is disappointing relative to expectation. That I already agreed. But if you’re going to be the sky is falling guy, at least be valid in your points. Uneven this class is not. It’s almost the complete opposite the class is heavily concentrated with prospects all around the 100 - 250 level. Not elite without Keeley or Bowen. But uneven is just plain wrong. Doesn’t even make sense.

Last edited:

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Disappointing is subjective. If you want to win a championship, and you were hoping MF could do that, it's disappointing. If you're into hoping for 10-11 wins with an inexperienced head coach, it's probably cool. Not having an elite, future high first-round caliber QB talent means all the chips are in CJ's basket. CJ's odds of being that good are low. Depth of high end talent that Clemson, Bama, Ohio State get yearly increases the likelihood that one will emerge. I love CJ Carr, but 5 star QB's are extremely hit or miss. The great teams are taking high 4-5 star talent yearly.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
Disappointing is subjective. If you want to win a championship, and you were hoping MF could do that, it's disappointing. If you're into hoping for 10-11 wins with an inexperienced head coach, it's probably cool. Not having an elite, future high first-round caliber QB talent means all the chips are in CJ's basket. CJ's odds of being that good are low. Depth of high end talent that Clemson, Bama, Ohio State get yearly increases the likelihood that one will emerge. I love CJ Carr, but 5 star QB's are extremely hit or miss. The great teams are taking high 4-5 star talent yearly.
CJ is also what 3 years away from realistically even seeing the field? Is Angeli or whatever 3 star we end up with for 23 as good as Tajh Boyd? I seriously doubt it.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
What gives you confidence that this rises to the level of importance that Congress takes real action? If I am a random politician who doesn't care about sports, this is not a problem that needs to be addressed. The kids are getting paid!
It's being lobbied hard right now and the only reason they haven't taken action yet is that they are waiting for consensus from the NCAA/member institutions on what they want. Congress DGAF about what's "important"... bills get written by lobbyists and then voted on based on who is willing to make a donation. There are two sides to it right now -- one that wants athletes to have way more freedom/rights than they currently have, and one that wants to try to reign everything in. The latter has way more money behind it.

There will be some sort of Save Amateur Sports Act within 2 years that is likely to try to standardize everything nationwide. Whether that opens things up more or restricts them I don't know.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
This will be the best class since 2008 regardless of Moore, Bowen, or Keeley. The sky is not falling.
No, certainly not falling. But we're not as close to the next level as we were easier in the cycle either.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

arndtjc

Jameson in my Jameson
Reaction score
71a10755b38e62c2c0691a1b382d1b86.jpg

We all know what needs to happen

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Omg. You guys calm down. There is more to life than ND football. I keep seeing the same people spew the same sh¡t the world is ending, etc. it’s Freeman’s first class, still a stellar class. If he produces wins the talent will come. Everyone settle down. Please for the love of god wait for an official announcement.
Perma ban now!

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
71a10755b38e62c2c0691a1b382d1b86.jpg

We all know what needs to happen
Last time I saw that posted in a recruits thread it didn't turn out so well. Maybe this one would do the trick.
1660673574902.jpeg

Attachments

• 1660673485597.jpeg
    1660673485597.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 12

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
I think it's unfair to say ND isn't playing the NIL game and some of our increased recruiting is likely directly to our ability to fuND kids once on campus. We're likely playing the game very well for enrolled kids.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
I think it's unfair to say ND isn't playing the NIL game and some of our increased recruiting is likely directly to our ability to fuND kids once on campus. We're likely playing the game very well for enrolled kids.
$ is the one thing we should be absolutely smashing other schools with. If there’s a fundraising arms race Notre Dame could make Alabama look like Ball State.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
As I try to read through this thread, I keep asking myself why. Sept 3rd can't get here fast enough.
I couldn't agree more. There are so many broken record posters with these recruiting threads. Idk how they have the patience to spew their same BS on multiple threads with dozens of posts a day.

Sounds exhausting to me yet here they are....

The board will be at it's peak in less than three weeks

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
$ is the one thing we should be absolutely smashing other schools with. If there’s a fundraising arms race Notre Dame could make Alabama look like Ball State.
I don't think this is entirely true. I don't think it's a matter of how much money from alumni or boosters ND has compared to Bama, more like ND alum are more likely to spend their money on something way more important and impactful than an 18 year old coming to play football for their alma mater.

That's also not what NIL was supposed to be. "Name, Image and Likeness" was supposed to get these young men compensated for schools using their name, number (jersey sales) or likeness (such as a video game) to properly compensate these kids for their own brand that the schools have been profiting off of for decades. The way ND is doing it, asking their players to go out in the community and earn their check, or the way Kyle Hamilton and those boys did it by hustling on the side and creating a nice following through a podcast, is the way NIL was supposed to be done.

Unfortunately, it wasn't/isn't properly regulated and this is now our reality. Some schools have rich ass donors who dgaf about anything but football. That's not ND. Even if you really want it to be.

Last edited:

arahop

Reaction score
To a degree, ND is definitely in the NIL game,. just not to the extent of competing for top Elite 5 star difference makers. Marcus Freeman and Co did their best to get the Dante Moore's and Keeley's. BOT, Admin, Boosters, haven't done enough.

SoIll

Licensed to Ill
Reaction score
A) Millions up front (SEC)
B) maaaaaaybe a couple 100k like KH (fuND)

Sorry, Ill take answer A.

Last edited:

laughingirish90

Reaction score
so no twitter post from this kid saying he is officially no longer a verbal to our irish but some board members still in panic mode over nothing other than gossip

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
We're not even remotely playing the same NIL game. That's the issue here.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
Didn't we offer that edge that's committed to Tennessee a few weeks ago? How is that different? Not trying to start anything, genuinely curious.
Back then folks were still pretending it had nothing to do with Keeley.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
We're not even remotely playing the same NIL game. That's the issue here.

We weren't remotely playing the pay for play pre NIL. We're definitely playing NIL, just not NIL for play. (Likely won't ever)
We're still in a better position post NIL than pre.

Maybe not for top 50/100 players but for the 100/250 range which is still improvent overall.

Our hope is, and always has been, a QB savior.

Freeman needs to pray that's Carr and we hold on to him.

Justin574

Reaction score
QB is one position, that hardly determines whether a class is "even". It's also still not over yet, I haven't heard much lately but Minchey and Love are still strong possibilities last I heard. The class isn't a "turd" regardless, if Keeley were never in it I doubt anyone would be saying that, it's only because we got so close to excellence that anyone would call it a turd. If it ends up a top 5 class, which it very well could, calling that a turd is ridiculous.