'23 FL DE Keon Keeley (Offer)

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Good point. If ND broke down by position we all already know the result of the Lyght era CB recruiting or Del era WR recruiting and clearly QB.
This. For the most part the most athletic people in college football play corner and WR (of course there are exceptions). We just started getting the athletes at corner and although our WR class this year is good, it isn't the most athletic group compared to their rankings.

Tobias and Styles are top level athletes, just need a depth chart of them.

NDohio

Reaction score
Not likely considering Weis was fired 13 years ago. Also, MF hasn't yet signed a class. It seems premature not to discuss the potential gap closing potential and anoint him as the gap closer. He's doing well, so don't take that for what it's not. I think it was completely salient in the context of Nick Saban also having a streak of beating unranked teams. More salient is that he doesn't barely beat them. In the setting of determining whether that gap is closing, it seems reasonable to look at how we do head to head, how we've performed in big games, and how we beat unranked teams.

Literally nobody said we were.
Host Texas A&M shocked Alabama on Saturday night, beating the top-ranked Crimson Tide 41-38 thanks to a walk-off field goal by Seth Small.

The Aggies' win broke Alabama's streak of 100 consecutive wins against unranked opponents, the longest streak in the AP poll era. The Crimson Tide came into Saturday having won 19 straight games.

:cool:

TorontoGold

Mr. Dumb Moron
Reaction score
Not likely considering Weis was fired 13 years ago. Also, MF hasn't yet signed a class. It seems premature not to discuss the potential gap closing potential and anoint him as the gap closer. He's doing well, so don't take that for what it's not. I think it was completely salient in the context of Nick Saban also having a streak of beating unranked teams. More salient is that he doesn't barely beat them. In the setting of determining whether that gap is closing, it seems reasonable to look at how we do head to head, how we've performed in big games, and how we beat unranked teams.

South Florida was what 11 years ago? So I guess you would disagree with what you wrote previously?

Analyzing MF through the same worries that we had with BK is wrong. Should we have doubts about CB recruiting because BK f'd up the Thomas Graham recruitment? Or that because of the George Karlaftis situation we should lose faith in how MF is going to recruit defensive line?

You could take the contrarian position better if you used examples of how MF recruited at Cincinnati and any misses or evaluations he got wrong there. That would be more applicable than comparing him to a guy who as a recruiter (remember this is a 2023 recruit thread) is almost completely different.

Jiggafini19Deux

Clam Bakes and Shitty Takes
Reaction score
wIM.gif

Me: Let's check out the Keely thread.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
South Florida was what 11 years ago? So I guess you would disagree with what you wrote previously?

Analyzing MF through the same worries that we had with BK is wrong. Should we have doubts about CB recruiting because BK f'd up the Thomas Graham recruitment? Or that because of the George Karlaftis situation we should lose faith in how MF is going to recruit defensive line?

You could take the contrarian position better if you used examples of how MF recruited at Cincinnati and any misses or evaluations he got wrong there. That would be more applicable than comparing him to a guy who as a recruiter (remember this is a 2023 recruit thread) is almost completely different.
Let's not forget that we lost to Michigan 47-14 a couple years ago. There is no evidence yet to say MF is closing the gap with Bama. It's perceived based on "commitments". Sign them and we are in the right direction. Is he a far better recruiter than BK? I think so. Do I think he will close the gap more than BK? Yes, I do. Even if we lose Keeley and Bowen, we should still finish about as well as BK did last year with 270-280. Back to back that is the best classes I can remember. Does that mean we closed the gap? I guess we will see how it plays out on the field. At the end of the day, all that will matter for MF is wins vs losses.

Last edited:

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score

You literally did.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Quick update for those who are coming to the thread and see 5 pages of nonsense:

Keeley has not flipped, as of now he is still committed, pretty quiet on all fronts.

Aside from that, this thread has gone off the rails lol

TorontoGold

Mr. Dumb Moron
Reaction score
Let's not forget that we lost to Michigan 47-14 a couple years ago. There is no evidence yet to say MF is closing the gap with Bama. It's perceived based on "commitments". Sign them and we are in the right direction. Is he a far better recruiter than BK? I think so. Do I think he will close the gap more than BK? Yes, I do. Even if we lose Keeley and Bowen, we should still finish about as well as BK did last year with 270-280. Back to back that is the best classes I can remember. Does that mean we closed the gap? I guess we will see how it plays out on the field. At the end of the day, all that will matter for MF is wins vs losses.
Nobody is forgetting? This notion of "these plebs are so dumb I am going to remind them of losses from 2019" is so tired. We're collectively sitting on an internet forum discussing college football on August 4th. I think everyone here has an acute knowledge of the past shortfalls.

The evidence is quite evident, actually. Go look at Limar's interview with Sampson, clearly shows that MF was better than BK. He is recruiting at a higher clip that BK ever did, unless Saban improves the recruiting at Bama by the same delta that MF does at ND....then yes MF is closing the gap.

If all of the evidence is pointing towards MF recruiting at a top 5 rate, do you think an intelligent position is to say "who knows"? With the available data/information we have, MF is looking to close the gap. .

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Quick update for those who are coming to the thread and see 5 pages of nonsense:

Keeley has not flipped, as of now he is still committed, pretty quiet on all fronts.

Aside from that, this thread has gone off the rails lol
What again is the threshold for "number of posts at which you know he's not coming here?" The Dante thread blew past it and now we need somewhere new to vent our insecurities.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Nobody is forgetting? This notion of "these plebs are so dumb I am going to remind them of losses from 2019" is so tired. We're collectively sitting on an internet forum discussing college football on August 4th. I think everyone here has an acute knowledge of the past shortfalls.

The evidence is quite evident, actually. Go look at Limar's interview with Sampson, clearly shows that MF was better than BK. He is recruiting at a higher clip that BK ever did, unless Saban improves the recruiting at Bama by the same delta that MF does at ND....then yes MF is closing the gap.

If all of the evidence is pointing towards MF recruiting at a top 5 rate, do you think an intelligent position is to say "who knows"? With the available data/information we have, MF is looking to close the gap. .
"Looking" to close the gap. I agree.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Basically because on the merits he'd be nuts to pick Pitt over Notre Dame, and unlike Novosad and Baylor he's not local. If it's not us it'll be one of the other top-tier schools that have started talking to him. Minchey's not playing college football for Pittsburgh.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Basically because on the merits he'd be nuts to pick Pitt over Notre Dame, and unlike Novosad and Baylor he's not local. If it's not us it'll be one of the other top-tier schools that have started talking to him. Minchey's not playing college football for Pittsburgh.
I'd be ecstatic with Minchey. I think Rees will land Jaxon Smolik. Gap closer.

Last edited:

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score

Eh, if ya didn't it was certainly a reasonable interpretation.

End of the day, ND recruits much closer to Alabama than it does to K-State. ND and Alabama shop at Whole Foods and Publix. ND might stop at Aldi once for a few things. K-State shops at Wynn Dixie.

NDGOLDEN

Reaction score