'23 FL DE Keon Keeley (Offer)

Justin574

Reaction score
I’d love some data on how many 3 star recruits become first round picks at ND vs Bama. That’s where the devil in the details resides. If you’re a 5 star DE, you’re going to be a first round pick if you go to Iowa. Go where you’re happy and fit in. You’re going to get the same result on the field unless you go to a shit program.
Please delete if not allowed, I'm still not entirely sure of the rules. But in this video around the 12min mark, Tim Heyde says in the last 20yrs ND has had 120 3 stars and only 7 of them went on to the NFL at all.

[]

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Fan base is going to go ape shit on MF hate if he loses Bowen and Keeley and gets bent over by Ohio State. Not saying it’s right, but he’s about to learn how hard it is to coach at ND in a short amount of time. I’ve seen how nasty it gets and without a win on his resume, a beat down vs the Buckeyes and losing the top 2 commits is going t to send a lot of folks into pitch fork mode. Again, just knowing the majority of crazies, it’s all but fact.

Dale

Reaction score
That’s 6% which is in line with normal 3 star to NFL likelihood.

Not that that impacts Keon Keeley in anyway.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Please delete if not allowed, I'm still not entirely sure of the rules. But in this video around the 12min mark, Tim Heyde says in the last 20yrs ND has had 120 3 stars and only 7 of them went on to the NFL at all.

[]

but for 20 years every 3 star we recruit is a diamond in the rough.

I think there are some clear 3 star recruits that have a shot to grow/develop into a really good player and there have been a lot of 3 stars that i feel have no shot no matter what they do to make a big positive impact on the program. A few of those are pretty obvious. Those are the head scratchers. Kelly seemed to have a few of those every year. Irvin was actually my biggest head scratcher of the class before he got over recruited. There's a few this year i'm not super high on but aren't complete head scratchers.

My head is itchy

IrishFanForever23

Reaction score
Mike Frank basically saying what we’re all saying in don’t count Keon or Bowen as commits as their actions say more than their words. Also said he’d be surprised if either were in the class and that he finds it funny Keon’s mom does interviews with other sites.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score

[]

I think he’s wrong about the amount that went onto the NFL. Just going back to 2014 I counted 7: Nick Martin, Bennett Jackson, Julian Love, Alohi Gilman, JOK, Ian Book, Ade Ogundeji. There’s also a slew of players ranked outside the top 300 3 stars but were still composite 4 stars that got drafted.

I didn’t go back before 2014, but, I’d assume some of those drafted in the 12 years before that were 3 stars.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Mike Frank basically saying what we’re all saying in don’t count Keon or Bowen as commits as their actions say more than their words. Also said he’d be surprised if either were in the class and that he finds it funny Keon’s mom does interviews with other sites.

I wish the coaches had the balls to dump them. Literally rescind the offer. They pretend certain kids are “ND kids” but then they get played like a fiddle and chase them like lost puppies. Reminder: ND is far bigger than you.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Fan base is going to go ape shit on MF hate if he loses Bowen and Keeley and gets bent over by Ohio State. Not saying it’s right, but he’s about to learn how hard it is to coach at ND in a short amount of time. I’ve seen how nasty it gets and without a win on his resume, a beat down vs the Buckeyes and losing the top 2 commits is going t to send a lot of folks into pitch fork mode. Again, just knowing the majority of crazies, it’s all but fact.
Need to be 7-1 heading into Clemson. BYU is the only team that should even have a shot of giving us any trouble after OSU and before Clemson. But we have a bye leading into BYU so really no excuse there either.

ND plays well vs OSU, goes 10-2 regular season, keeps our top committs....... 24 class explodes

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
I think he’s wrong about the amount that went onto the NFL. Just going back to 2014 I counted 7: Nick Martin, Bennett Jackson, Julian Love, Alohi Gilman, JOK, Ian Book, Ade Ogundeji. There’s also a slew of players ranked outside the top 300 3 stars but were still composite 4 stars that got drafted.

I didn’t go back before 2014, but, I’d assume some of those drafted in the 12 years before that were 3 stars.
We didn't recruit ALohi out of HS, and Love was a 4 star, but you may be right.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
You want to pull the offer of the best pass rusher in the country while he's still committed to you?

If you’re clearly not coming to ND, yes. If there’s a solid chance he still wants to go to ND, no. Don’t chase a 5% chance. Kiss my ass is what they should say. It’s precedent. Win on the field and don’t put up with bullshit. Be different.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
I wish the coaches had the balls to dump them. Literally rescind the offer. They pretend certain kids are “ND kids” but then they get played like a fiddle and chase them like lost puppies. Reminder: ND is far bigger than you.
If the player is looking around and being honest about it keep recruiting them. Now if the player and players family is clearly lying to the coaching staff, that's when it may be worth dropping. As far as we know there's nothing concrete that says Keeley and Bowen are lying to the coaching staff.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
If the player is looking around and being honest about it keep recruiting them. Now if the player and players family is clearly lying to the coaching staff, that's when it may be worth dropping. As far as we know there's nothing concrete that says Keeley and Bowen are lying to the coaching staff.

Correct. You keep them even if there’s a 25% chance. If you’re out of it and getting played, have some fucking pride. Certainly don’t hold their spot if someone else is interested.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score

I'd be shocked if Gilman met the definition since he was a transfer. I'd bet money they are only talking about the kids that ND recruited.

Edit: Fixed it at Shutup's request. Also like notredomer23's post

Dale

Reaction score
It’s time to stop recruiting kids with helicopter parents. They’re only in it for NIL.

We should also consider not posting things about prospects parents unless we’re very sure and multiple sourced that they are an issue (ex Dante) since they undoubtedly visit this site. This isn’t directed at the above, but the parent talk with NIL has been slinging heavy lately and used to be temporary ban territory. Some parents absolutely should be managing their sons recruitments, they are their parents after all, it’s to what extent or how they’ve done so with our coaches that is or is not an issue.

IrishFanForever23

Reaction score
Come on man. These guys are difference makers. You want to win it all, these are the guys you need to get. If they were Bama and could afford to lose out on them because they have another player just like you waiting to commit, then I’d agree with you. I mean, we’re talking about potentially the #1 player in the country by the time his senior season is over.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Come on man. These guys are difference makers. You want to win it all, these are the guys you need to get. If they were Bama and could afford to lose out on them because they have another player just like you waiting to commit, then I’d agree with you. I mean, we’re talking about potentially the #1 player in the country by the time his senior season is over.

If you’re not getting him what’s the difference?

317Irish

Reaction score
It’s just a really bad take man. If you follow recruiting (even prior to NIL) you know that these top athletes can be hard to hold onto for a variety of reasons. IMO kids from Florida and California for whatever reason add an additional level of difficult to hold onto. You can either stop recruiting 5* recruits and see where that gets you or you can take your shots and stick it out in hopes that you will land some here and there.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
If you know you’re not getting him, sure you dump him. But when it’s four-plus months to Signing Day and yeah the kid’s looking around but also he’s still talking to you and “wants to be Irish” as has been said about both Keeley and Bowen in the last two days, you keep working on him, because you don’t really “know” anything yet.

What you’re suggesting is basically what BK did in the second half of his tenure - prioritize fit, avoid any drama, lock down your class by Labor Day - and the entire case for hiring Freeman was he was going to upgrade our recruiting. Fights like this one are what upgrading our recruiting looks like.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Need to be 7-1 heading into Clemson. BYU is the only team that should even have a shot of giving us any trouble after OSU and before Clemson. But we have a bye leading into BYU so really no excuse there either.

ND plays well vs OSU, goes 10-2 regular season, keeps our top committs....... 24 class explodes
Was that so hard?

lol. I agree