'23 FL DE Keon Keeley (Alabama Verbal)

PANDFAN

Look Down
Reaction score
No one is blaming MMFF
There's plenty saying it's the same as what was before..... This guy is freaking impressive as a person, motivator and role model from info out there.... This plus results on field will produce recruits but there's people throwing towel in in regards to recruiting.... Relax... Give the man time

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
There's plenty saying it's the same as what was before..... This guy is freaking impressive as a person, motivator and role model from info out there.... This plus results on field will produce recruits but there's people throwing towel in in regards to recruiting.... Relax... Give the man time
The problem is that we're not losing these guys because of Freeman is an unknown.

We're losing them because ND is not playing the same NIL game as Oregon or Alabama. All the reports pretty much confirm this.

Some are essentially resigning the fact that while Freeman is a superior recruiter to Kelly (VASTLY IMO), his advantage as a recruiter has been mitigated due to the advent of NIL in CFB putting ND at a significant disadvantage for the top-end talent, as we've already seen twice so far. I still think Freeman will net better overall classes that Kelly ever did, but it seems very apparent that his potential is being stymied by this development, because ND refuses to play that game.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
He ain’t going to Ohio State yes he will visit to get a free ticket to the best game of the year but besides that nothing more

RDU Irish

Catholics vs. Cousins
Reaction score
I think Kelly might've been onto something, however his strategy wasn't the most efficient when he was HC, but it would be now in today's NIL era. Kelly just straight up underestimated the power of the ND brand to draw in elite talent. But now in the NIL era, with ND boosters refusing to engage in P4P, it might be necessary to start "shopping down a different aisle" (just not to the extent that BK did). The bigtime 5stars are too easily swayed by the bigtime upfront NIL C.R.E.A.M. they could get elsewhere. So one strategy would be targeting, offering and spending the most time/resources on 4stars, low, mid and high level, and only pursuing 5stars who actively pursue ND. The one exception would be at QB, but the strategy here would be identifying QBs whose families are so well off they're less likely to be swayed by the NIL C.R.E.A.M. schools, ala CJ Carr. This would ensure that a sufficient amount of time and resources are divided up in the most efficient way, by focusing them on obtaining recruiting classes which as a whole, can be program changing even if generally there aren't many 5 star, stand out elite recruits in them, minus a 5star QB. This would mean no longer engaging in the merri-go-round of trying to land the Carnell Tate's, Richard Young's and Keon Keeley's, and focusing all their time and energy on grabbing those 4stars and a 5star QB.
Or hit the portal and poach proven commodities - call it the Cam Newton model. QBND should be the highest NIL position in the country - national brands paying for national appeal. What would Jerome Bettis or Rocket pull for NIL today? Paying for unproven hype is not where the ND $$$ will be - sky is the limit for charismatic All Americans though.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
I wonder if Poodle had stayed put instead of going to the NFL if Saban would have a few less titles.

Jiggafini19Deux

Clam Bakes and Shitty Takes
Reaction score
I wonder if Poodle had stayed put instead of going to the NFL if Saban would have a few less titles.

Waaaaaaay too many eyes were on that program for him to have stayed. Had he stayed, the results may not have been much better. People forget Poodle's last year at SC they went 9-4. He saw what was coming down the road and quit while the quitting was good.

NDMatt91

Reaction score
I think USC would probably have another title. The scholarship restrictions ended in 13 or 14, and if he stayed I think there's a chance that the NCAA would've been more lenient. The 2016 and 2017 teams, at the very least, would've made the CFP with Darnold at QB surrounded by 3-4 years of top 5 classes. That 2016 USC team was playing as well as anyone in the country by the end of the season. Bryce Young is likely at USC, too.

laughingirish90

Reaction score
Waaaaaaay too many eyes were on that program for him to have stayed. Had he stayed, the results may not have been much better. People forget Poodle's last year at SC they went 9-4. He saw what was coming down the road and quit while the quitting was good.
and weren't the Oregon ducks getting really hot at that time also and looking like the team to beat in conference

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
Tim Prister's article today

• When I think of…Notre Dame and NIL, look for an announcement from Notre Dame next week regarding the FUND Foundation (Friends of the University of Notre Dame) collective spearheaded by Brady Quinn.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Oregon and Stanford both assisted in ousting Cheaty Petey, by beating the condoms by an average of 30 points each.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
Tim Prister's article today

• When I think of…Notre Dame and NIL, look for an announcement from Notre Dame next week regarding the FUND Foundation (Friends of the University of Notre Dame) collective spearheaded by Brady Quinn.
Looking forward to an underwhelming announcement.

House16

Reaction score
Nebraska with Osborne in the 90's was a machine.
My Father-in-law is a Nebraska grad and the readjustment of expectations he's had to go through from "expect to win the Natty any given year" to "maybe we can beat Northwestern if our QB plays better" is bone chilling.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
My Father-in-law is a Nebraska grad and the readjustment of expectations he's had to go through from "expect to win the Natty any given year" to "maybe we can beat Northwestern if our QB plays better" is bone chilling.
I remember when Devaney lead them. He had some outstanding teams. When he turned it over to Osborne, it didn't miss a beat. They were accustomed to being ranked in the top 3 every year.

This is one of the best CFB games you'll ever watch.

GowerND11

Reaction score
I remember when Devaney lead them. He had some outstanding teams. When he turned it over to Osborne, it didn't miss a beat. They were accustomed to being ranked in the top 3 every year.

This is one of the best CFB games you'll ever watch.

Couple things just from the firs 7 minutes, and I think of these things every time I watch older games:
1. 3 point stance out wide, just WILD that teams did this.
2. The formalness of the referees whenever they are making calls.
3. The line judge is 5 yards ONTO the field right next to the Split End.
4. The use of the term "Split End."
5. The amount of cut blocks back in the day, and peel backs.
6. Fans on the field congratulating a player for a touchdown, and band members going nuts with the drum just rattling all over the ground.
7. Those old turf fields. My knees almost hurt watching them play on it.