'23 FL DE Keon Keeley (Alabama Verbal)

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score
It was sort of funny, but also sad that his mom spoiled his big moment. She wanted him to go to LSU and made a bit of a scene on TV when he chose Bama.

And then she did AGAIN when another child picked Florida lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FDNYIrish1

I’ll be at the Irsay YMCA from 12:30-2:30
Reaction score
Who’s the running back that flushed the Bama offer and committed to ND. And still didn’t come here. I’m hoping for that but he actually is Irish at the end.

ColinKSU

I'm Colin NOT from Kansas
Reaction score
It was sort of funny, but also sad that his mom spoiled his big moment. She wanted him to go to LSU and made a bit of a scene on TV when he chose Bama.
If I remember correctly, his relationship with his mother is still a mess. I don’t think they talk at all because of the grudge she’s still holding.

Justin574

Reaction score
I still think ND's best model would basically be a BK 2.0 approach (I'm going to get killed for this but hear me out, please focus on the 2.0, lol). Prioritize fit, development, and experience but push much harder (which Freeman does) to ensure you are not missing on the Burnham, Sneed, Ford's of each class. In reality, I think BK was only 2-4 guys each class and an elite QB away from a legitimately competing for playoff wins. Freeman is knocking on that door. The only problem is see is if we go too far down the path of prioritizing stars over fit which creates significant roster gaps and/or an inexperienced roster/position groups at the wrong time.
I think Kelly might've been onto something, however his strategy wasn't the most efficient when he was HC, but it would be now in today's NIL era. Kelly just straight up underestimated the power of the ND brand to draw in elite talent. But now in the NIL era, with ND boosters refusing to engage in P4P, it might be necessary to start "shopping down a different aisle" (just not to the extent that BK did). The bigtime 5stars are too easily swayed by the bigtime upfront NIL C.R.E.A.M. they could get elsewhere. So one strategy would be targeting, offering and spending the most time/resources on 4stars, low, mid and high level, and only pursuing 5stars who actively pursue ND. The one exception would be at QB, but the strategy here would be identifying QBs whose families are so well off they're less likely to be swayed by the NIL C.R.E.A.M. schools, ala CJ Carr. This would ensure that a sufficient amount of time and resources are divided up in the most efficient way, by focusing them on obtaining recruiting classes which as a whole, can be program changing even if generally there aren't many 5 star, stand out elite recruits in them, minus a 5star QB. This would mean no longer engaging in the merri-go-round of trying to land the Carnell Tate's, Richard Young's and Keon Keeley's, and focusing all their time and energy on grabbing those 4stars and a 5star QB.

Last edited:

House16

Reaction score
I think Kelly might've been onto something, however his strategy wasn't the most efficient when he was HC, but rather it would be now, in today's NIL era. Kelly just straight up underestimated the power of the ND brand to draw in elite talent. But now in the NIL era, with ND boosters refusing to engage in P4P, it might be necessary to start "shopping down a different aisle" (just not to the extent that BK did). The bigtime 5stars are too easily swayed by the bigtime upfront C.R.E.A.M. they could get elsewhere. So one strategy would be targeting, offering and spending the most time/resources on 4stars, low, mid and high level, and only pursuing 5stars who actively pursue ND. The one exception would be at QB, but the strategy here would be identifying QBs whose families are so well off they're less likely to be swayed by the NIL C.R.E.A.M. schools, ala CJ Carr. This would ensure that a sufficient amount of time and resources are divided up in the most efficient way, by focusing them on obtaining recruiting classes which as a whole, can be program changing even if generally there aren't many 5 star, stand out elite recruits in it minus a 5star QB. This would mean no longer engaging in the merri-go-round of trying to land the Carnell Tate's, Richard Young's and Keon Keeley's, and focusing all their time and energy on grabbing those 4stars and a 5star QB.
If the NIL situation stays exactly as it is now (ND far outclassed by the 10-15 schools doing big upfront payments), this is the perfect strategy. However, I highly doubt things will stay this way. Some governing body (maybe congress, maybe a replacement NCAA) will standardize the rules and ND will be able to compete with them.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
If the NIL situation stays exactly as it is now (ND far outclassed by the 10-15 schools doing big upfront payments), this is the perfect strategy. However, I highly doubt things will stay this way. Some governing body (maybe congress, maybe a replacement NCAA) will standardize the rules and ND will be able to compete with them.

After others benefit royally. It’s repercussions will linger for several years.

Justin574

Reaction score
I don't think it'll stay this way forever, but navigating the nuanced politics and business ethics that underly the current NIL issues in order to come up with a legal, agreed upon and effective resolution, may prove to be a lengthy task. If the current NIL issues impede 2 or 3 recruiting classes from reaching their full potential at ND, some kind of strategy has to be put in place for the foreseeable future until this NIL thing gets hashed out.

INLaw

Reaction score
I mean come on guys how many bama titles can people take before everyone just turns it off. (And when i say bama i mean bama tuscaloosa, bama athens, bama east-Clemson, swamp bama and northern Urban bama). Eventually people will get sick of reruns, am I right?

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Maybe because this is the type of recruit that can completely change a team.
I want Keeley too but even if he pans out as expected how much better/more impactful is he likely to be as a college football player than, say, Isiah Foskey?
Keeley is a piece of a team with legit title aspirations but we already have some of those pieces. We just need more. And most of all a QB.

Justin574

Reaction score
I mean come on guys how many bama titles can people take before everyone just turns it off. (And when i say bama i mean bama tuscaloosa, bama athens, bama east-Clemson, swamp bama and northern Urban bama). Eventually people will get sick of reruns, am I right?
Lol that's what I figured after their first 3 ships. Now they're rolling full steam ahead with the #1 recruiting class after what, 5 or 6 since 2009?

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score

I didn’t watch the championship game if that means anything. I just wasn’t interested. I admittedly checked espn in the morning. My lack of interest made it being on slip my mind.

WaveDomer

Reaction score
Lol that's what I figured after their first 3 ships. Now they're rolling full steam ahead with the #1 recruiting class after what, 5 or 6 since 2009?
Saban is in his 70's. Unless he is feasting on unicorn blood, his reign of terror will come to an end at some point. Then Alabama will fall back. How far? Who knows? But he is the "X factor." Just as Burrow was the "X factor" and the "Georgia D" and so forth. ND football has been in the mix for a long time now. They haven't gotten over the hump, so to speak, but even being in the mix and staying is incredibly hard. Imagine being a Nebraska fan?

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Saban is in his 70's. Unless he is feasting on unicorn blood, his reign of terror will come to an end at some point. Then Alabama will fall back. How far? Who knows? But he is the "X factor." Just as Burrow was the "X factor" and the "Georgia D" and so forth. ND football has been in the mix for a long time now. They haven't gotten over the hump, so to speak, but even being in the mix and staying is incredibly hard. Imagine being a Nebraska fan?

I think when he leaves the landscape will even out more. I still expect the same teams to be good, but I don’t see one dynasty with 8 championships ever again.

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
I have a good friend who's a Cornhusker fan. His misery knows no bounds. Bama, ND, USC and a couple of other bluebloods have suffered our periods of wandering in the wilderness, but none of us have suffered like our brothers from corn country. They've fallen and show no signs of being able to get up.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
I have a good friend who's a Cornhusker fan. His misery knows no bounds. Bama, ND, USC and a couple of other bluebloods have suffered our periods of wandering in the wilderness, but none of us have suffered like our brothers from corn country. They've fallen and show no signs of being able to get up.

To be fair, while they had their moments, they were never ND, Michigan, or USC to begin with.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Our class is still really good. All this hand wringing over 1 recruit smh.
Thing is that it's not just 1 recruit.

The same thing that cost us Dante Moore now cost us Keon Keeley and both of them are recruits we've seen sorely missing to close the gap. And there's little hope that what cost us those 2 is going away, so it'll continue to be a problem moving forward until something drastic changes.

indianamouse

Reaction score
Thing is that it's not just 1 recruit.

The same thing that cost us Dante Moore now cost us Keon Keeley and both of them are recruits we've seen sorely missing to close the gap. And there's little hope that what cost us those 2 is going away, so it'll continue to be a problem moving forward until something drastic changes.
We got cj carr. I understand the hand wringing, but honestly who would pick Dante over cj? Has donte even done anything for Oregon’s class yet?

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
We got cj carr. I understand the hand wringing, but honestly who would pick Dante over cj? Has donte even done anything for Oregon’s class yet?

Nobody in their right mind would pick Dante over CJ. We all wanted both. I think Rees essentially did pick CJ over him knowing he wanted the million dollar arm and the million dollar smile. He was never getting both. He made the right move.

Last edited: