'23 CA WR Rico Flores (Offer)

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
What I'm seeing here re: Flores makes me feel uneasy. That and the talk about North Carolina hookers. What's the bar there, no scars?

This is one where I'd want the signature before I felt like it was done.
Yeah. Gotta say I don’t love being, essentially, his backup plan.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
I'm not debating that. It's pretty obvious they've put some quality WR into the League in the last five years.

I just don't want anyone's head turned down the line if OSU's class has changes and they come around revisiting.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As long as we are supremely confident in Hanafin, Greathouse, and James then I think it's a risk worth taking. But, it's also why I think it's a no brainer to take Tease.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
OSU's plan B options would be starters at like 95% of P5 schools. It's worth the effort IMO.
Oh he’s plenty talented I’d just worry he’s a fairly high flip risk.
Take Flores, sure, but like Lucci said I’d just want to make sure we have a well-stocked WR class even without him. Don’t get in a position - like last year - where we’re left short-handed late if OSU comes calling or somewhere closer to home like USC or Oregon catches his eye.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
Has he already officially visited OSU? I think as long as that doesn't happen or they push for one we should remain in a good spot.... Unless he already has

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
Yeah. Gotta say I don’t love being, essentially, his backup plan.
Particularly the backup plan for a kid that got into Yale. If he were to want Ohio State over ND, there's little chance there's as much of a value placed on the educational piece by he or his family than what has been reported. I think the gap between ND academically vs Ohio State is much wider than the small gap between how good our receivers have been/can be and the strength of the programs going forward and historically. I doubt a 4-5 star wide receiver would be better because they went to Ohio State vs ND. Take our plethora of our great receivers that went on to have tremendous NFL success over the recent years as an example. The biggest reason Ohio State has had a lot of success at WR is because they get all the great WR's.

NDMatt91

Reaction score
Oh he’s plenty talented I’d just worry he’s a fairly high flip risk.
Take Flores, sure, but like Lucci said I’d just want to make sure we have a well-stocked WR class even without him. Don’t get in a position - like last year - where we’re left short-handed late if OSU comes calling or somewhere closer to home like USC or Oregon catches his eye.
IB said that Rico is the type of young man that will be firm with his commitment.

Has he already officially visited OSU? I think as long as that doesn't happen or they push for one we should remain in a good spot.... Unless he already has
His OSU OV is set for 6/24.

Dale

Reaction score
OSU's plan B options would be starters at like 95% of P5 schools. It's worth the effort IMO.

I don’t mind him being Plan B for them talent wise. The fact that he has a commitment date set and is just wondering if he has a green light from OSU and if not will choose ND does not spell well for December when someone comes calling. ND will have to keep on him till ESD IMO.

He took a unofficial to OSU in the spring and is supposed to OV this coming weekend.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
I just find it very strange that the analysts felt so confident in predicting him to ND before his Ohio St visit when it seems very well known how he seems to favor them.

Dale

Reaction score
I just find it very strange that the analysts felt so confident in predicting him to ND before his Ohio St visit when it seems very well known how he seems to favor them.
I don’t know that he favors them as much as if you were a WR who would you pick? The worry hinges on the assumption that a OV and spot at OSU is tough for anyone to turn down

T-Boone

Reaction score
Are OSU turning WRs who are ranked outside the top 100 out of high school into first and second rounders or do they just recruit the best and get them where they should be?

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
Are OSU turning WRs who are ranked outside the top 100 out of high school into first and second rounders or do they just recruit the best and get them where they should be?
Olave was famously a three star who became the No. 11 overall pick.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
I don’t know that he favors them as much as if you were a WR who would you pick? The worry hinges on the assumption that a OV and spot at OSU is tough for anyone to turn down think
I think some of this is just message board narrative. Obviously OSU has become the go to place for elite WRs but Flores has been high on ND for a very long time. He had the Irish tied for, or a close second to The Buckeyes before he even visited. So the idea that an OV may have pushed Notre Dame over the top isn't that hard for me to believe.

I personally think ND may just be his leader regardless of whether he is a take at Ohio State or not right now.

Dale

Reaction score
I think some of this is just message board narrative.

Not really. Look at Lucci’s post from yesterday. OSU guy is hesitant to put in a ND CB for the exact reason we’re discussing, his spot at OSU being in question. Back to months ago when UCLA, Texas were involved there were doubts OSU was really pushing hence ND could emerge. Flores also always has had glowing things to say on OSU. Is that arrogant from the OSU side to just think they’ll win if they want to? Maybe but doesn’t make it not true.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
Not really. Look at Lucci’s post from yesterday. OSU guy is hesitant to put in a ND CB for the exact reason we’re discussing, his spot at OSU being in question. Back to months ago when UCLA, Texas were involved there were doubts OSU was really pushing hence ND could emerge. Flores also always has had glowing things to say on OSU. Is that arrogant from the OSU side to just think they’ll win if they want to? Maybe but doesn’t make it not true.
Sure but that is OSU's guy. Not saying you should ignore him but he is hearing from Ohio State. Yet Wiltfong and Huffman, two national guys who hear from both sides put in ND Crystal Balls.

I'm not saying Ohio State can't win this but the idea that he would drop ND and go to OSU if he is given green light is probably overblown. The staff has done a great job here and I think ND leads outright right now.

Dale

Reaction score
Yet Wiltfong and Huffman, two national guys who hear from both sides put in ND Crystal Balls.
Fong would have no qualms flipping his pick if he had to. He has a Noah Rogers OSU CB so he’s operating on the same wavelength as Tom that Rico ND CB is in part due to Innis, Tate, Rodgers, Rodgers to OSU.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Terry McLaurin was #250ish and Parris Campbell #150ish nationally on 247. So not all 5* studs. They identify and develop very well
Campbell succeeded in college on his speed. He’s too fragile for the NFL and has been a major disappointment so far. He’s missed way more games than he’s played. This is a make or break season for him.

MacIrish75

Tier 6 Dogshit Poster
Reaction score
Campbell succeeded in college on his speed. He’s too fragile for the NFL and has been a major disappointment so far. He’s missed way more games than he’s played. This is a make or break season for him.
My money is on “break.” Pun intended.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
OSU:

2020 class:
2 5 stars, 2 top 100 4 stars,
2021 class:
1 5 star, 2 top 100 4 stars
2022 class:
2 top 100 4 star, 2 top 150 4 stars
2023 class:
2 5 stars, 1 4 star

Total of 5 5 stars and 9 4 stars

Ridiculous.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Similar to that of Gray. These have all the makings of true verbal commitments that the staff accepted. Shutting it down and waiting for the announcements. Friggin awesome.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
Fantastic! I think Flores is the most complete WR recruit ND has taken since, like, Charlie Weis was around.

Dale

Reaction score
Has the makings of Tate, Rodgers, Innis intentionally pump faked the other schools to build the effect of the three in a row commitment.