'22 OH QB Drew Allar (Penn State Verbal)

Islandboi

Reaction score
But Brian Driskell told me Allar was the best QB he's seen in his life, since Phil Jurkovec.
Ok. I don't listen to I guess you'd call them podcast right? I'm an old island dude. But is this dude really that bad? Again. I only come to this site. And I see him brought up a lot. I want to go look him up and see. But can someone provide a synopsis?

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
Ok. I don't listen to I guess you'd call them podcast right? I'm an old island dude. But is this dude really that bad? Again. I only come to this site. And I see him brought up a lot. I want to go look him up and see. But can someone provide a synopsis?

Synopsis: He blows and is bad at it

TheRealLynch51

Reaction score
He's not that bad when it comes to X's and O's. Isn't half bad with his player evals either. Problem is he'll dig his heels in on some hot takes and evals when he's clearly wrong. Dude just can't admit when he's wrong. He comes off as "holier than thou" on a lot on those takes. He was a D3 coach and acts like he knows more than the current coaching staff. Not a bad dude, but it's just the way the message is delivered a lot of the time.

Islandboi

Reaction score
He's not that bad when it comes to X's and O's. Isn't half bad with his player evals either. Problem is he'll dig his heels in on some hot takes and evals when he's clearly wrong. Dude just can't admit when he's wrong. He comes off as "holier than thou" on a lot on those takes. He was a D3 coach and acts like he knows more than the current coaching staff. Not a bad dude, but it's just the way the message is delivered a lot of the time.
'Preciate the response

irishandy

Reaction score
Angeli was the right choice
100% agree on this; I don't understand the dislike with Angeli on this board but after watching a few throws from PSU's spring game I see why Ohio St. didn't recruit Allar.

arrowryan

Reaction score
100% agree on this; I don't understand the dislike with Angeli on this board but after watching a few throws from PSU's spring game I see why Ohio St. didn't recruit Allar.

It’s not even close tbh.

Allar had Rees fooled, as he tried to recruit Allar over Angeli.

irishandy

Reaction score
It’s not even close tbh.

No it's not close, it's too bad that ND didn't blow out more teams last season to get Angeli more PT, but right now I have confidence in Angeli.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Let's not act like it was just Rees, half this board was losing their shit when he picked PSU over us
Yeah… the potential is there for allar and why so many wanted him including myself… I thought he would be a stud by now and it’s pretty clear he’s not. It’s why you need to land stud qbs yearly because they don’t all work out.

Psu will rely on their two really good rbs and D this year

BobbyMac

Staffer 4 Life
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah… the potential is there for allar and why so many wanted him including myself… I thought he would be a stud by now and it’s pretty clear he’s not. It’s why you need to land stud qbs yearly because they don’t all work out.

Psu will rely on their two really good rbs and D this year

This.

If you sign an Allar, Jurkovec, Kiel or Wimbush every class, one will be a championship caliber QB for at least one season and a starter for 2-3 years.

Unless you're Brian Kelly of course.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
It’s not even close tbh.

Talk about revisionist history. The board was seething at Rees because he wouldn't offer Allar. Rees wanted more footage but everyone on this board insisted Allar was the guy and he would be ours if only Rees would just go after him.

Now it's "Rees wanted Allar over Angeli". Cmon people.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
This.

If you sign an Allar, Jurkovec, Kiel or Wimbush every class, one will be a championship caliber QB for at least one season and a starter for 2-3 years.

Unless you're Brian Kelly of course.
It is crazy how Kelly was viewed as a QB guru at Cincinnati and yet his entire time at ND, QB was always an issue. From the jump too.

T-Boone

Reaction score
It was still an example of Rees thinking he is smarter than everyone else. Occasionally he is going to be right in an evaluation. But it was never in a positive way for ND.

T-Boone

Reaction score
Anyway everyone must be happy with what GG is doing. Killing it.

ColinKSU

Reaction score
I think wanted Allar because his physical tools felt like a lotto ticket that might pay off with good coaching. Clearly I was mistaken at this point in their careers, but I’m not sure Angeli being the right pick means he’s a stud or Allar is cheeks.

NDpendent

Reaction score
Unsure what you are seeing on the boards but I have been seeing the opposite. I have been surprised how many people on the boards were calling for him to be the starter a couple weeks ago.
After the spring game I have Angeli as three right now but Minchey should pass him at some point. Angeli is more polished right now but Minchey has more raw talent but needs works. In the end we clearly have 4 QBs who are talented enough to be named the starter at ND and this QB room is very good.

thekid33

President of the Kevin McDougal Fan Club
Reaction score
My wife taught Pribula (Penn St. QB2) in HS. Once they signed Allar I told her that he was crazy if he went there, especially since they were the same class. He might not have been that crazy though. Allar might be one of those guys that has all the tools but never realizes the potential.

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
At this point If he ends up the number one pick in the NFL Draft, it's going to be some story.

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
Whatever the best route to having three quarterbacks on the roster for 2025 is how I’d handle this. Even if that means red shirting Carr.

They need to figure out a way to keep Steve or Kenny on this team.

*edit- I have no idea why I posted this here.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Whatever the best route to having three quarterbacks on the roster for 2025 is how I’d handle this. Even if that means red shirting Carr.

They need to figure out a way to keep Steve or Kenny on this team.

*edit- I have no idea why I posted this here.
It's really the only interesting thing we have to talk about right now. I support it. It's definitely more interesting than analyzing Tommy Rees' recruitment of Penn State's mid QB.

But yeah losing both Kenny and Angeli going into this season would be unfortunate. I doubt they both jump, TBH. I could see an argument for either of them staying, or going. I'd imagine we'll know soon.

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
It's really the only interesting thing we have to talk about right now. I support it. It's definitely more interesting than analyzing Tommy Rees' recruitment of Penn State's mid QB.

But yeah losing both Kenny and Angeli going into this season would be unfortunate. I doubt they both jump, TBH. I could see an argument for either of them staying, or going. I'd imagine we'll know soon.

I'm more worried about 2025 if they both leave.
Carr and a true freshman.
Hard to get a transfer to come in without a guaranteed starting position.

22 Football Signees