'22 AZ DT Anthony Lucas (Texas A&M Signee - Southern Cal Transfer)

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
Hope we could have a real shot of nabbing him now. We were one of the top-3 and his parents were apparently team ND. On the other hand, ND’s transfer rules *sigh*.

ND's transfer rules are not so constrained when it comes to freshman year. He could enroll in First Year of Studies, using his high school SAT and ACT scores. But, I could be off a little here.

He did have a good relationship with Elston. I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan really pushes for him.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score

NDMD

Reaction score
Hope we could have a real shot of nabbing him now. We were one of the top-3 and his parents were apparently team ND. On the other hand, ND’s transfer rules *sigh*.
Look at his top 5 before committing. Ain't gonna happen with NIL.

FSU nabbed Fiske for a rumored 200k, how much you think a 5* with 4 years of eligibility will pull?

ColinKSU

Reaction score
No chance he ends up at Notre Dame, but it’s still a funny story to follow. If only anyone could have seen this coming…

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Look at his top 5 before committing. Ain't gonna happen with NIL.

FSU nabbed Fiske for a rumored 200k, how much you think a 5* with 4 years of eligibility will pull?

What's the "base pay" from FUND? And does anyone know ballpark numbers for what kids are making at ND? Not the Hamiltons and Mayers...but the averages? Is 200k a big number?...that's basically what I'm asking because I genuinely don't know.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
What's the "base pay" from FUND? And does anyone know ballpark numbers for what kids are making at ND? Not the Hamiltons and Mayers...but the averages? Is 200k a big number?...that's basically what I'm asking because I genuinely don't know.

No one knows. Nico got a rumored $8M from Tennessee. That was bs. Didn't Oregon offer Peyton Bowen $2M? That was BS. Reality is all these numbers are pulled out of people's asses. This is why you only see them on message boards. No one knows.

Yes players are getting paid and getting good money but whatever the rumor is, is probably greatly exaggerated.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
What do you mean bs?

The Athletic had Nico's NIL contract and wrote a story about it.
It's a deal worth "up to" $8M. Yeah that sounds nice but even in that Atheltic article he is getting $350K to sign then monthly payments and deals that could total $8M in the end. None of that is guaranteed. They got him for $350K.

But advertising $8M sure sounds cool on message boards and reddit threads. I bet a lot of recruits payed attention to that.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
It's a deal worth "up to" $8M. Yeah that sounds nice but even in that Atheltic article he is getting $350K to sign then monthly payments and deals that could total $8M in the end. None of that is guaranteed. They got him for $350K.

But advertising $8M sure sounds cool on message boards and reddit threads. I bet a lot of recruits payed attention to that.

I'm not sure what you're saying. What you're describing is an 8 million dollar contract with a 350k signing bonus.

That's how it always works. Thats how contracts work.

Do you think people are under the assumption they just venmo'd him 8 mil and crossed their fingers he'd stay?

Come on, man.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
FWIW we finished second here the first time around. You would have to ask yourself what you think his priorities are this time and how ND may align with those or not. Is it NIL? Is it playing for coaches he likes?
I remember Sampson talking on the Shamrock podcast - I think the one after USC game - about how Notre Dame could be in good position to land kids in the portal who'd chosen somewhere, um, flashier, out of high school, but then saw the realities of college football and how many promises don't pan out, and might choose someplace that offers something more substantial but also the chance to play big-time football.

Maybe this is that here. Which would be great.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're saying. What you're describing is an 8 million dollar contract with a 350k signing bonus.

Do you think people are under the assumption they just venmo'd him 8 mil and crossed their fingers he'd stay?

Come on, man.
I guess you could call it a 350k contract with 7.65M in incentives? :)

Yeah, let's do that so it's less flashy. How many transfers out of Tennessee this time next year? O/U 12.5

And landing an Anthony Lucas for the DL would be YUUUUUUUGE. won't get my hopes up

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
He would start right away maybe that's something we can sell him on our depth chart isn't that great and I think we are better lined up making a run at the playoffs over the next 2-3 years compared to UCLA.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
He would start right away maybe that's something we can sell him on our depth chart isn't that great and I think we are better lined up making a run at the playoffs over the next 2-3 years compared to UCLA.
But Dante.

Reaper97

Banned
Reaction score

Come on, man.
I’ve gone over this many times.
He isnt and will never get $8 million.

I can give you a contract that says if you win 4 Heismans, 4 National Titles, go undefeated & graduate first in your class I will give you $10 million. That’s a contract, but never going to happen.

To get all the money he has to meet a lot of incentives & stay and play all 4 years. He isn’t staying & playing all 4 years if he meets those incentives.

He also will only get about 65-70% of the money he earns after paying his rep & taxes.

The $350k is his actually yearly amount before taxes. Everything else is incentives & fluff & not happening anywhere near $8 million.

Look at the A&M guys for example. One of the dudes who left already said he was promised a million & didn’t even get 100k.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I’ve gone over this many times.
He isnt and will never get $8 million.

I can give you a contract that says if you win 4 Heismans, 4 National Titles, go undefeated & graduate first in your class I will give you $10 million. That’s a contract, but never going to happen.

To get all the money he has to meet a lot of incentives & stay and play all 4 years. He isn’t staying & playing all 4 years if he meets those incentives.

He also will only get about 65-70% of the money he earns after paying his rep & taxes.

The $350k is his actually yearly amount before taxes. Everything else is incentives & fluff & not happening anywhere near $8 million.

Look at the A&M guys for example. One of the dudes who left already said he was promised a million & didn’t even get 100k.
It's probably more like 55% - 65%. Plus contract wording will play a big part as Uncle Sam taxes bonuses at a higher rate. Toronto can probably speak better to that.

Also, article in The Athletic shows the money in general isn't what keeps getting thrown around.

It would be nice to land this kid.

fightingirish26

Reaction score
Freeman's whole thing is relationships. He would have an extensive relationship with Anthony, plus we have a need at his position, he's a freshman so not too tricky from undergrad transfer perspective, it makes sense. We are the culture 180 from A&M, that may be enticing in this case.

22 Football Signees