'21 LA RB Logan Diggs (Notre Dame Signee)

IrishRazor82

Banned
Reaction score
For real, he's at the very least 1B next year with Tyree. Diggs was like a young Kyree during the 2nd half of the season. He blocked better than Tyree, had good hands aside from the fluke bowl strip while he was on top of a guy, and showed athleticism with his leap and good vision/patience to find the hole and wait for blockers. I can't see him leaving when he's on deck.

He was nothing like Kyren in any way, he has no speed, quickness, and his power isn't what Estime's is. He's ok, 3rd most talented back next year.

He may start as 1B but by mid season Estime and or Price will take the majority of the 2nd back carries IMO.

I think you guys got enamored that he was an impressive blocker for a freshman and only fumbled once. He's very ordinary as a runner.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
He was nothing like Kyren in any way, he has no speed, quickness, and his power isn't what Estime's is. He's ok, 3rd most talented back next year.

He may start as 1B but by mid season Estime and or Price will take the majority of the 2nd back carries IMO.

I think you guys got enamored that he was an impressive blocker for a freshman and only fumbled once. He's very ordinary as a runner.

When Tyree was dinged it was Logan first off the bench to spell Kyren. He got more carries than Tyree in the bowl too, and nearly had the same number on the year despite not getting in till late in the season. He's the more complete back between Tyree and Estime. In the past Kelly would certainly start Diggs over the other two, but we'll have to see how MF handles it next year. He's not ordinary as a runner, he follows his blockers very well and waits for the hole, has great vision, something many young backs struggle with. He's not quite as quick as Kyren, but he showed a good stiff arm and the leaping ability. You may not like it, but the facts and the carries speak for themselves. He had more than 7 times the number of carries Estime had, it's pretty clear which of the two the coaches trust more.

IrishRazor82

Banned
Reaction score
When Tyree was dinged it was Logan first off the bench to spell Kyren. He got more carries than Tyree in the bowl too, and nearly had the same number on the year despite not getting in till late in the season. He's the more complete back between Tyree and Estime. In the past Kelly would certainly start Diggs over the other two, but we'll have to see how MF handles it next year. He's not ordinary as a runner, he follows his blockers very well and waits for the hole, has great vision, something many young backs struggle with. He's not quite as quick as Kyren, but he showed a good stiff arm and the leaping ability. You may not like it, but the facts and the carries speak for themselves. He had more than 7 times the number of carries Estime had, it's pretty clear which of the two the coaches trust more.

True freshman sometimes take a bit. If he's our starting RB he'd be the most untalented one in the BK (now MF) era, including Tony Jones. Just because he had more carries than Estime as true freshman doesn't mean much at all in year 2 and beyond, especially with a new RB coach and HC.

Estime, Tyree, and Price bring an elite trait to the table, Diggs doesn't have any.

I'll be here if I'm wrong, but if he's out 1B by end of year, Estime was a bust and Price had a bad freshman year.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
True freshman sometimes take a bit. If he's our starting RB he'd be the most untalented one in the BK (now MF) era, including Tony Jones. Just because he had more carries than Estime as true freshman doesn't mean much at all in year 2 and beyond, especially with a new RB coach and HC.

Estime, Tyree, and Price bring an elite trait to the table, Diggs doesn't have any.

I'll be here if I'm wrong, but if he's out 1B by end of year, Estime was a bust and Price had a bad freshman year.

Your starting RB is usually the most complete one. I know Tyree blew at least one block in the bowl game, possibly more but I didn't rewatch yet. Diggs has shown he can get it done. Tyree has the speed and is decent in catching passes out of the backfield, but there's a good chance Diggs' blocking gave him the edge and why he got the most carries with Kyren out. Again, in the past with Kelly coaching I would 100% put money down that Diggs is starting back next year given what we've seen from the three current RBs. Kelly consistently went with the most complete back each season, whether it was Cam McDaniel over Greg Bryant/GA III or Tony Jones over whoever else. With MF in charge now and a new RB coach it's anyone's guess, but if Diggs continues to be the most well rounded guy that's typically who you want in every down. They're consistent and they're not going to be a liability in any one facet of your offense.

T-Boone

Reaction score
Was he tight enough with Taylor that Taylor's leaving would matter? Or just homesick?

Agree it would make no sense for Diggs to leave over playing time. He's RB1(B) at least. And, if he were to go, no we shouldn't shrug off losing him. The kid's a good running back and it's a pretty thin depth chart.

It seems very thin: tyree (who could go to WR), esime and price.

Te'o4Heisman

Reaction score

By this logic, the NFLs all time leading rusher also brought zero elite traits. Hell, in his prime Emmitt Smith was probably slower and less explosive than Diggs. I can all but guarantee Diggs will never have 1/4 the NFL career that Smith did, but my point is the RB position is about more than just being a 225 bulldozer, a 4.4 blazer, or having the shiftiness of Barry Sanders.
Logan Diggs is a very solid, well rounded back with valuable intangible traits who will have no issues being highly productive if given starter carries behind a serviceable lime.

Last edited:

Greenore

Reaction score
For three years, almost to the minute, I have limited vision due to a couple of strokes. No pity please.

My opinion only.... for the past year. I think Diggs learned a lot about "patient running" behind Williams. Kyren is a master but I "think" Diggs is learning the style. Explode to the line, pause and look for the lanes. Have to trust the OL and I think he does but obvious timing issues. Diggs is a great running back and I hope he spends his time at ND. I am confident that our OL line will make him a star.

Cheers and Go Irish!!

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
It really feels like we go through this every year.

Riddick starting over Wood
McDaniel over GA III
Folston/McDaniel over Bryant
Procise/Adams over Williams (until Dexter's Senior year)
Tony Jones over anybody
Kyren over Tyree

There's always some people that think the flashy back should be the starter, but in each of these cases the less sexy more complete back won out. Now, that's the way BK always did things. Of course MF and the new RB coach may have a different approach, but I would almost guess they follow the same blueprint because the steady back doesn't have any holes to gimp your offense. Anybody could start next season given the change up, but we already saw in the bowl game where Diggs appeared to be the heir. Until we see more from the others I would guess that continues.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
For real, he's at the very least 1B next year with Tyree. Diggs was like a young Kyree during the 2nd half of the season. He blocked better than Tyree, had good hands aside from the fluke bowl strip while he was on top of a guy, and showed athleticism with his leap and good vision/patience to find the hole and wait for blockers. I can't see him leaving when he's on deck.
The same 2nd half of the season when we played all the shit defenses? How did he do against the 1st decent defense of the 2nd half in OSU? I just don't see why everyone is anointing him the next great RB. I think Tyree is light years ahead of him. I also think Price has way more potential and that Estime will have more of an impact when all is said and done. Nothing about Diggs is elite.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

IrishRazor82

Banned
Reaction score
By this logic, the NFLs all time leading rusher also brought zero elite traits. Hell, in his prime Emmitt Smith was probably slower and less explosive than Diggs. I can all but guarantee Diggs will never have 1/4 the NFL career that Smith did, but my point is the RB position is about more than just being a 225 bulldozer, a 4.4 blazer, or having the shiftiness of Barry Sanders.
Logan Diggs is a very solid, well rounded back with valuable intangible traits who will have no issues being highly productive if given starter carries behind a serviceable lime.

Emmitt Smith hit the hole much quicker, lower, and more efficiently than Diggs has shown thus far despite not having elite skills. The defenses we played in the 2nd half were as bad as you'll find over a 6 game stretch for ND since 2000's. If Estime would have gotten the carriers we'd probably be drooling over him right now. Maybe he didn't come in as a great pass blocker? Maybe he needed more reps/time with playbood? His carries in year 1 mean nothing going into year 2 with new coaches.

I think Diggs will be 3rd back by year's end assuming all are healthy and I could see him as 4th (but I won't bet on a freshman that hard). The other offer too much talent in at least one way or another. I'll be here if I'm wrong and you can call it.

irishrb

Reaction score
The same 2nd half of the season when we played all the shit defenses? How did he do against the 1st decent defense of the 2nd half in OSU? I just don't see why everyone is anointing him the next great RB. I think Tyree is light years ahead of him. I also think Price has way more potential and that Estime will have more of an impact when all is said and done. Nothing about Diggs is elite.

Agreed...serviceable, but not a back that is going to help a team take it to the next level.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Diggs needs to work on his body - get stronger and leaner. Looks like he had one too many biscuits over the holidays and was a step slow in the bowl game.

Price does look good but who the hell knows what you'll get with a freshman. Diggs flashed this year and will get a lot of snaps next year if he pushes himself in the weight room over the off-season. Just one idiot's opinion.

Last edited:

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score

Nobody is saying he's going to be at Kyree's level or win a Heisman. Just saying he's likely the most complete back and he seemed to be the one the staff trusted most when Kyren was out or on the bench, so he has a very good chance of being the starter next year. You talk about potential, you should talk to Ben Koyack and a few other highly rated recruits about that. Right now Price is a complete unknown having not taken a snap of college ball, and Estime is basically in the same boat with only a handful of carries. A lot can change with the new staff, maybe they do go with Tyree, Price, or even Estime as the first horse out of the gate next year. I've been right the last several years about this, and I'm betting I'm going to be right again baring a change up with the new staff.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
Diggs needs to work on his body - get stronger and leaner. Looks like he had one too many biscuits over the holidays and was a step slow in the bowl game.

Price does look good but who the hell knows what you'll get with a freshman. Diggs flashed this year and will get a lot of snaps next year if he pushes himself in the weight room over the off-season. Just one idiot's opinion.
I don't think it's speed so much as indecision.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
I don't think it's speed so much as indecision.

He's not indecisive, he's smart and he's been coached well. He doesn't just run willy-nilly, if you watch he patiently waits for the linemen to open the hole and then he goes. Young backs in college often don't pick that up, they want to just try and make their own hole or get the edge and try to outrun the defense. Watch the good backs in the NFL, they follow their blockers and let the play develop. The kid is mature for being a freshman.

It's hard to find an example of this because when you search Diggs highlight it always comes up with his two stiff arms and leap over the Virginia defender. While it's not the best example, watch this run against Navy. It takes a bit for the play to develop. He stays low behind the defenders on the left, waiting for the hole to open on the right. Mayer clears out his guy, then Takacs and Madden make the double team and drive their guy back. Diggs then makes a cut and is off. He had a number of runs like this over the season.

The run is at 8:57

Last edited:

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Not athletic. 2022 3rd stringer. Indecisive. Slow.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/logandiggs3/status/1486844796123717637[/TWEET]

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
Not athletic. 2022 3rd stringer. Indecisive. Slow.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/logandiggs3/status/1486844796123717637[/TWEET]
lol it's a highlight reel. Where are the Okie St. highlights?

T-Boone

Reaction score
I think we would be salavating over his possibility in 22 if it wasn’t for that horror bowl game he had.
Does one game really move a prospect from hero to zero?

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
Not sure of the injury severity but this is most likely a 3 to 4 month recovery period…….hope he can be a go for fall camp.

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
Not sure of the injury severity but this is most likely a 3 to 4 month recovery period…….hope he can be a go for fall camp.

Sounds about right. My teammates on the baseball team would constantly have labrum tears. but they always came from weird things, not throwing. One was literally running into the pads on the wall during pick-up basketball. Wonder what he did to tear his? Could have just landed wrong.

ND4LIFE

Reaction score
Sounds about right. My teammates on the baseball team would constantly have labrum tears. but they always came from weird things, not throwing. One was literally running into the pads on the wall during pick-up basketball. Wonder what he did to tear his? Could have just landed wrong.
Stiff arm in the BG game.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
It's a pretty common surgery after you dislocate your shoulder (in the process you tear your labrum, and if you don't get it repaired it's easy to happen again, and again). He *should* be fine for the season but it's definitely not ideal.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
I think we would be salavating over his possibility in 22 if it wasn’t for that horror bowl game he had.
Does one game really move a prospect from hero to zero?

Weird time for that comment. Right after news of his surgery breaks?

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
I think this gives the other backs a chance to earn early reps. Diggs can take his time rehabbing and getting back to 100%. In the meantime Tyree, Estime and Price will be just fine (and Payne might even get into the mix).