'21 CA QB Tyler Buchner (Notre Dame Early Enrollee)

irishff1014

Reaction score
I would be very surprised if he played in the bowl game. Since he got hurt Pyne has been our starter. No reason to risk him injuring him self again if the staff truly believes he is an option to be the starter next year. And to me I think Freeman isn’t going to throw him out there if he isn’t 100%.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if he played in the bowl game. Since he got hurt Pyne has been our starter. No reason to risk him injuring him self again if the staff truly believes he is an option to be the starter next year. And to me I think Freeman isn’t going to throw him out there if he isn’t 100%.
If he is 100% I could see a split. Bowl games are like practice anyway to us big boys.

I didn’t put that in italics because I want it to be true.

Irish4life

Reaction score
We need to see what we have in Buchner. If he's cleared to play he's going to play. Might even start if you go by Freeman's comments.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
It’s a fair bet we’re not going to have Mayer in the bowl game, which will limit Pyne’s passing game even further.
If Buchner is healthy enough to go and even just his legs help open up new wrinkles on the ground for a few series, that’s probably worth doing.

Redbar

Reaction score
It’s a fair bet we’re not going to have Mayer in the bowl game, which will limit Pyne’s passing game even further.
If Buchner is healthy enough to go and even just his legs help open up new wrinkles on the ground for a few series, that’s probably worth doing.
His legs are a plus but, running him like he’s Estime and poor offensive line play gave us Drew (whom I love). But I do not buy the narrative that TB12 can’t sling the ball. If he had the offensive line from the second half of the Cal game on…we are probably a one loss team going to fUSC

Te'o4Heisman

Reaction score
His legs are a plus but, running him like he’s Estime and poor offensive line play gave us Drew (whom I love). But I do not buy the narrative that TB12 can’t sling the ball. If he had the offensive line from the second half of the Cal game on…we are probably a one loss team going to fUSC

What have you actually seen that makes you believe he can? He was pretty inaccurate last year, and in limited action this year was inaccurate again and as others mentioned failed to work through progressions and often times either missed seeing open receivers or went to the wrong place with the ball.
Those are the facts we have to date with no evidence at all to the contrary really.
Looking back at camp, it doesnt mean much at all that he won QB1, or that he did it so early into camp knowing what we know now about Pyne.

Redbar

Reaction score
What have you actually seen that makes you believe he can? He was pretty inaccurate last year, and in limited action this year was inaccurate again and as others mentioned failed to work through progressions and often times either missed seeing open receivers or went to the wrong place with the ball.
Those are the facts we have to date with no evidence at all to the contrary really.
Looking back at camp, it doesnt mean much at all that he won QB1, or that he did it so early into camp knowing what we know now about Pyne.
He didn’t get any opportunities to throw the ball last year.
Just think with the way his High School career went and the fact that we don’t play backup QB’s in our set offense that he has not had enough opportunities to really say. It took Pyne a while to find a rhythm, TB12 had two games where he was literally running for his life.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
So when will we know if he’s a legitimate option? Do we know if he’s traveling with the team? I do not expect to see Tyler Saturday night, but would traveling with the team be an indication, or would he travel anyways because of his position on the team?
Realistically he's already practicing with the team a bit, just not taking hits. In a month I could see it being very likely he could go, but I would still go with Pyne first unless he's not getting anything going.

allenm5333

Reaction score
If he is healthy enough, you absolutely play him in a role he played last year. Mayer won't play and you need another weapon

Te'o4Heisman

Reaction score
He didn’t get any opportunities to throw the ball last year.
Just think with the way his High School career went and the fact that we don’t play backup QB’s in our set offense that he has not had enough opportunities to really say. It took Pyne a while to find a rhythm, TB12 had two games where he was literally running for his life.
But yet still found a way to throw 3 INT’s. Last year the amount of snaps he was played was not insignificant. There is a reason the coaches pretty much only put him in to run the ball. I would still like to know what you have seen that makes yoi think he will be able to sling it. Most of what we actually so know says otherwise to this point.

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
Or it frees him up and he turns into Doug Flutie. The pressure of having to force feed your roommate (or face his wrath later) might be holding Drew back.
Imagine being stuck in a cell all night with Meyer after not throwing to him 15 times?

Ndaccountant

Old Hoss
Reaction score
giphy.gif

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
I'd expect a near exact same game plan installed, but the chance of him running to escape the pocket may be a little better.

pretty much zero QB run game called.