'21 CA QB Tyler Buchner (Notre Dame Early Enrollee)

NDGOLDEN

Reaction score
Until we see Buchner behind this Oline, there's simply just not enough data.

Considering (some) thought this would be a rebuilding year, I'm worried next year is about to be ground zero. Again
Our team is very young. I would consider this the rebuilding year considering we have what 10+ players on offense coming back next year

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Our team is very young. I would consider this the rebuilding year considering we have what 10+ players on offense coming back next year
This is one of many reasons we've struggled on offense this season. Not saying it's the only reason, but with the exception of our interior OL and Mayer we were basically starting all Sophomores on offense. A lot of the rotational skill players are Sophomores and Freshmen too. A healthy team is starting mostly upperclassmen each year that have been in the system for awhile. Kelly blew it in '19 and '20.

Bluto

Reaction score
And TB won the TB vs JJ competition early.

*** Shoulda read the rest of the thread but a mid-page banner made me think I was at the bottom.
From what I’ve seen in limited action JJ plays kinda like Buchner.

Biggest difference from the little I’ve seen of Michigan is I don’t think there’s been a single Michigan game where JJ has/was expected to win a tight game and he has had a much better supporting cast out the gate on both sides of the ball.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score

A little over three months post operation and he's contact ready? I mean... if he takes a hit and lands on that shoulder again? Might be best to just hold him out and let him return for spring practice.

Freeman said TBD so nothing is close to being confirmed. I just feel that that would be a bad situation to put Buchner in. If they need to play a second QB, they would be better off using Angeli, no?

CANONIZEFATHERSORIN

Reaction score
I think we can't treat Buchner as a fragile flower who must be protected from all contact if he's still being seriously considered as a potential starter for 2023

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
They want him to get gametime I’m sure,… what if he goes out there and breaks a bowl passing record??? Lol

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
I think we can't treat Buchner as a fragile flower who must be protected from all contact if he's still being seriously considered as a potential starter for 2023

He injured his shoulder, not his pinky finger. If they want him to seriously contend as a potential starter in 2023, they need to be careful with him.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
This.

It sounds a bit cold to think that way, but the reality is that either Buchner can play his game and manage his health or he can't and he isn't going to be the answer moving forward.

Irish4life

Reaction score
In his presser today CMF said that if Buchner were healthy, could protect himself, full go, etc. for a bowl, he'd "give him that opportunity, no hesitation". FWIW.

Irish4life

Reaction score
This.

It sounds a bit cold to think that way, but the reality is that either Buchner can play his game and manage his health or he can't and he isn't going to be the answer moving forward.
If he's healthy and cleared to play he should play. If not, they can't throw him out there.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
He injured his shoulder, not his pinky finger. If they want him to seriously contend as a potential starter in 2023, they need to be careful with him.
FWIW, it wasn't his throwing shoulder?

I dunno. I don't think Buchner should be QB1 for the bowl game or anything, but if he's healthy and they can put him in as a change-of-pace QB for a few series/designed plays, I don't think that'd hurt anything. I'm assuming Mayer won't play. We'll need all the weapons we can find.

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
FWIW, it wasn't his throwing shoulder?

I dunno. I don't think Buchner should be QB1 for the bowl game or anything, but if he's healthy and they can put him in as a change-of-pace QB for a few series/designed plays, I don't think that'd hurt anything. I'm assuming Mayer won't play. We'll need all the weapons we can find.
No, it was his left shoulder that had the AC joint injury.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
If he's the better guy in practice I would think he play him in the bowl if he's ready. More than likely Pyne will get the start though, and he's earned it getting us to 8-1 as a starter (Even if they haven't all been pretty). I wouldn't worry about injury concerns. At worst he re-injures it and he misses Spring ball recovering again. If he's serious about being a QB here he needs all the reps he can get at this point.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Sampson shared a similar tweet and added that he thinks this is more important in regards to Spring Ball more so than the bowl game.

I assume Pyne would still get the start in the bowl game but they might have Buchner ready to come in should something happen to Pyne. I think that's the right way to go about it. If he's "ready," you still don't trot him out there after he hasn't played live ball in over three months, and you need to think about the future.

Still need to win the bowl game though. I don't have much of an issue of using Buchner as a true QB2 ONLY if he's ready for live action.

Last edited:

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
If he's ready give him a series in each half to limber up and get reacclimated to the game.

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
All I know is, this off-season I want a ton of 11 on 11 reps for Buchner/Pyne/Transfer

Buchner in particular needs real reps. I wanted them this year, but now there's no time to spare. I don't want growing pains next season (if he is in fact the starter).

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
All I know is, this off-season I want a ton of 11 on 11 reps for Buchner/Pyne/Transfer

Buchner in particular needs real reps. I wanted them this year, but now there's no time to spare. I don't want growing pains next season (if he is in fact the starter).
Agreed. If there's one thing that really stood out with Buchner those first two weeks, he needs work understanding the entire route tree and working through his progressions. I remember vividly during the Marshall game, especially late in crunch time, he would just lock in on a route or player and miss the throw or throw a pick with a player wide open in the flat on the other side of the field.

Of course it doesn't help when you're playing behind a swiss-cheese OL and you've got happy feet as a result, but he needs reps to get more comfortable working his progressions.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Agreed. If there's one thing that really stood out with Buchner those first two weeks, he needs work understanding the entire route tree and working through his progressions. I remember vividly during the Marshall game, especially late in crunch time, he would just lock in on a route or player and miss the throw or throw a pick with a player wide open in the flat on the other side of the field.

Of course it doesn't help when you're playing behind a swiss-cheese OL and you've got happy feet as a result, but he needs reps to get more comfortable working his progressions.
That was easily the worst pass I’ve seen all year, which this year is saying something. But yeah, Buchner needs live reps if he’s ever going to reach his considerable potential.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
You play the bowl game to win the bowl game. Anything less cheats everybody else who has worked their butts off to get there.

This should have nothing to do with "Pyne" nor "Buchner" nor anything future. This is solely about winning THIS game.

If either Pyne or Buchner don't understand that, you don't want them on the team, let alone starting.
I, by the way, believe that BOTH QBs understand that perfectly.

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
You play the bowl game to win the bowl game. Anything less cheats everybody else who has worked their butts off to get there.

This should have nothing to do with "Pyne" nor "Buchner" nor anything future. This is solely about winning THIS game.

If either Pyne or Buchner don't understand that, you don't want them on the team, let alone starting.
Yep, I agree Mike.

I personally believe that Pyne gives us the best chance to win the bowl game simply because he's played these past few months and you have to imagine Buchner is rusty. But what do I know!

Domina Nostra

Reaction score

Well said.

WilliamWallace

Active Member, Yes
Reaction score
So when will we know if he’s a legitimate option? Do we know if he’s traveling with the team? I do not expect to see Tyler Saturday night, but would traveling with the team be an indication, or would he travel anyways because of his position on the team?