'21 CA QB Tyler Buchner (Notre Dame Early Enrollee)

SouthSideChiDomer

Reaction score
except out DL cant control the LOS or put pressure on the pass game, our LBs are generally free to roam but arent capable of filling gaps/making tackles/or covering in space, and our secondary does play it safe/doesnt confuse QBs/and doesnt jump routes.

Like literally none of those things are happening right now.
Exactly my point. Because our DL is worse than assumed, the LBs need to actually help stop the run. We wanted to be able to have them drop more, but they can't do that because the DL is getting killed in the run game. There is a reason we started Kiser and Liufau and have the Vyper playing more like a Rover. Because we can't drop our LBs into coverage, we can't run exotic coverages to confuse QBs. And because we assumed our secondary was a weakness, we are protecting them with coverage over the top. That leaves the mid-range passing game wide open. Between that and being able to run on us, teams can generally stay on schedule in a sustained drive.

Same thing on offense. Because our OL is bad, teams can disrupt the run and get in the QBs face quickly without having to risk giving up a big play because our WRs can't beat their defender. This gets us quickly off schedule and forces us to make great plays to sustain drives.

Dale

Reaction score
Exactly my point. Because our DL is worse than assumed, the LBs need to actually help stop the run. We wanted to be able to have them drop more, but they can't do that because the DL is getting killed in the run game. There is a reason we started Kiser and Liufau and have the Vyper playing more like a Rover. Because we can't drop our LBs into coverage, we can't run exotic coverages to confuse QBs. And because we assumed our secondary was a weakness, we are protecting them with coverage over the top. That leaves the mid-range passing game wide open. Between that and being able to run on us, teams can generally stay on schedule in a sustained drive.

Same thing on offense. Because our OL is bad, teams can disrupt the run and get in the QBs face quickly without having to risk giving up a big play because our WRs can't beat their defender. This gets us quickly off schedule and forces us to make great plays to sustain drives.

I don’t think a lot of the defense commentary here is accurate. Haven’t seen the Vyper play like a Rover much at all. We have run a lot of different coverages. Mid range passing game has been completely clogged up, it’s been one of our strengths so far on defense. Marshall just threw it short when they did throw it.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
I don’t think a lot of the defense commentary here is accurate. Haven’t seen the Vyper play like a Rover much at all. We have run a lot of different coverages. Mid range passing game has been completely clogged up, it’s been one of our strengths so far on defense. Marshall just threw it short when they did throw it.
Few would have expected our DBs and pass defense to be the strength of this team, but here we are.

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Reaction score
I thought he was going to tear his ACL at some point so this isn’t as bad. Hope he spends a lot of time studying film. He clearly wasn’t prepared to be the starter this year but our QB cupboard is so bare that he was the only choice. Not allowing JT Daniels to come in and compete was a huge mistake. You can’t worry about your QB’s ego. If they’re butthurt about competition let them transfer to BC.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
I thought he was going to tear his ACL at some point so this isn’t as bad. Hope he spends a lot of time studying film. He clearly wasn’t prepared to be the starter this year but our QB cupboard is so bare that he was the only choice. Not allowing JT Daniels to come in and compete was a huge mistake. You can’t worry about your QB’s ego. If they’re butthurt about competition let them transfer to BC.
IMO his issue wasn't something time in the film room could fix. Dude needs live reps at the college level. Unfortunately, we insisted on treating him like a RB last year instead of as a QB, so here we are now...

irishfan

Irish Hoops Mod
Reaction score
Feel really bad for the kid. Rees should have seen enough to know he needed another year to develop as a passer with a Coan-like transfer plugged in. Kid only played 2 years of HS football for fucks sake.
This 100%. It was apparent throughout the Marshall game that the kid can’t see the whole field and stares down WRs. And it’s hard to blame him with his lack of real reps both here and in high school. They must have thought he could make that leap this spring/summer, but it’s become obvious we should have been aggressive in the portal for a grad QB and just given Buchner an expanded version of his 2021 role.

TDHeysus

FLOOR(RAND()*(N-D+1))+D;
Reaction score
Buchner is NOT the guy....I know others think differently, and thats cool. But I dont see Buchner making any significant impact at ND. Just my 2cp

WilliamWallace

Active Member, Yes
Reaction score
I’m going to be brutally honest here, both good and bad. The below is a thing of beauty. That is a sweet, sweet stroke and powerful. Enough power to drive the ball wherever it needs to go. And plenty quick. This was a remarkable athlete with the arm to back it up.

And then this young man, could have, destroyed his football career by getting hung up on dipping his elbow, throwing side arm, and short stepping throws because it’s the cool thing to do. Somehow, we went from the above, to Brandon Wimbush, all while Tommy was banking on this being his guy. WTF happened. And what has Tommy been doing this whole time. Just letting this young man ruin his career. The above isn’t remotely close to how he throws a football these days. Bizarre.
Please send this to MF via however you’re able to get it to him!

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Buchner is NOT the guy....I know others think differently, and thats cool. But I dont see Buchner making any significant impact at ND. Just my 2cp
You might be right, but it may just be too soon to know. I don't envy any of our QBs playing behind this OL. It's impossible to really evaluate them, I don't know what college QB could play well given the circumstances. The good news is he's just 19. He's still got time, he missed a lot of football. Either way, I hope he recovers quickly and it all works out.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
I think I'm here with you. I tried to believe and he still looks lost reading defenses. He can tell when someone is in front of his receiver but he doesn't recognize coverage and has no touch on the deep ball. Hell of a kid but I'm hoping Angeli breaks through and can serve as our developmental QB.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
Wait until we all see a kid 4 years into the program not be able to see the whole field, stare down receivers, and not recognize coverages.

Irish du Nord

Reaction score
Yeah, the thing is, lots of multi-sport athletes are really successful. Russel Wilson, Mahomes, etc.

But! You still have to develop your mechanics to succeed at whatever sport it is you’re focusing on. And Buchner doesn’t have good mechanics or much savvy right now. I think in retrospect it was crazy that Rees picked him over McCarthy. McCarthy is so much more advanced as a passer. He’s a real QB. Buchner is still learning the position and looks 1-2 years away from even being passable.
I think it’s tough to say in retrospect. Buchner’s film and early camp performances were pretty good from a mechanics standpoint. I always thought both were good but Buchner had more All American upside with his athleticism

WilliamWallace

Active Member, Yes
Reaction score
I think TB needs less TR to be what we think he is. A change in perspective and ideals may be all he needs.

For the record I do not hate TR, I do not wish him any ill will. But as others have said, he’s probably not ready (mature enough) to develop a good QB.

Sometimes what you actually need, is a change.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
True. But, there is no certainty that Buchner would have matched or outperformed Pyne either the last few games. His mobility adds a different element to the offense, and that can change both an offensive and defensive gameplan, but even Buchner struggled to complete throws.

Regardless, and to your point, even if Pyne performs decent to average to conclude the season, it is still an open QB competiton in the spring - assuming Buchner is 100% healthy.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
True. But, there is no certainty that Buchner would have matched or outperformed Pyne either the last few games. His mobility adds a different element to the offense, and that can change both an offensive and defensive gameplan, but even Buchner struggled to complete throws.

Regardless, and to your point, even if Pyne performs decent to average to conclude the season, it is still an open QB competiton in the spring - assuming Buchner is 100% healthy.
As it should be - and hopefully including a transfer as well.

A lot of people the last few weeks were ready to dump Buchner. You’re right there’s no guarantee he’d have been better last night, but last night was a reminder of how limited this offense is with Pyne, and better-coached defenses than UNC and BYU will take advantage of that. Buchner at least gives them more to think about.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
Fuck guys. If at any point in the last five years, since the 2016 revival, we had a C. J. Stroud, Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow level of QB, we may have won a championship.

Find the guy that closely resembles them, and go play football.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
The problem the last 5 years has been QB recruiting and Buchner isn’t the answer his arm sucks and it’s part of the reason why we haven’t had luck getting WR talent let’s hope to god the staff can keep this class together

NDRock

Reaction score
Fuck guys. If at any point in the last five years, since the 2016 revival, we had a C. J. Stroud, Trevor Lawrence, Joe Burrow level of QB, we may have won a championship.

Find the guy that closely resembles them, and go play football.
Agree. First, we have to find the guy that can recruit and develop the guy.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
The problem the last 5 years has been QB recruiting and Buchner isn’t the answer his arm sucks and it’s part of the reason why we haven’t had luck getting WR talent let’s hope to god the staff can keep this class together

I think the recruits won't be bothered. I think by now, the offensive guys, if they have been watching, have seen what we are working with at QB. And they know who is coming. Winning is important for recruiting, but ND offers a lot more than football only, and our commits value the whole picture at the University of Notre Dame.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
Agree. First, we have to find the guy that can recruit and develop the guy.

Yeah. That too. I so want Tommy to succeed and have this dominating, explosive, balanced offense at ND that can use as a massive recruiting tool, and develop four and five star QBs every year, but he is not capable of that at this time.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
Would have liked to see Buchner behind the same OL that Pyne got. Willing to bet his development would be a lot better than the 1st two games of the season suggested. Not fair to ask a kid with as little playing experience as he had over the last few years to step in against Ohio State for his very first start. This is an indictment on the quality of the quarterback room at Notre Dame. No excuses. Tyler should have been slowly worked in this season to be starter by the end of the year, but alas because of the failings of Tommy on recruiting trail Tyler was forced to be the number one guy way too early, behind swiss cheese of an offensive line no less.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OhioIrish

Reaction score
I think the recruits won't be bothered. I think by now, the offensive guys, if they have been watching, have seen what we are working with at QB. And they know who is coming. Winning is important for recruiting, but ND offers a lot more than football only, and our commits value the whole picture at the University of Notre Dame.
Sure, some of the guys who commit value the whole picture, but our problem is the the guys who don’t commit — Moore, Keeley, Tate, CJ Williams. The difference makers won’t come here because we have not shown that we can be elite, and guys headed for the NFL don’t care about NDs academic prestige. We need to start showing up on the field as an elite program.

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
Until we see Buchner behind this Oline, there's simply just not enough data.

Considering (some) thought this would be a rebuilding year, I'm worried next year is about to be ground zero. Again

NDMatt91

Reaction score
Until we see Buchner behind this Oline, there's simply just not enough data.

Considering (some) thought this would be a rebuilding year, I'm worried next year is about to be ground zero. Again
That's why, aside from upgrading at OC, they absolutely have to get the best grad transfer QB possible.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Sure, some of the guys who commit value the whole picture, but our problem is the the guys who don’t commit — Moore, Keeley, Tate, CJ Williams. The difference makers won’t come here because we have not shown that we can be elite, and guys headed for the NFL don’t care about NDs academic prestige. We need to start showing up on the field as an elite program.
Oregon and USC have been a lot less elite than we have in recent years.

Irish4life

Reaction score
As it should be - and hopefully including a transfer as well.

A lot of people the last few weeks were ready to dump Buchner. You’re right there’s no guarantee he’d have been better last night, but last night was a reminder of how limited this offense is with Pyne, and better-coached defenses than UNC and BYU will take advantage of that. Buchner at least gives them more to think about.
And let's not forget, this Stanford defense is an atrocity. The fact that we only put up 300 yards and 14 points on them is Willingham-esque.