2024 Spring Practice Thread

IA4irish

Reaction score

Great summary. If you don’t have 14 minutes here are some key points:

- defense won overall. Offense turned it up late but was hurt by pick-6s
- CJ Carr was the best qb. He didn’t go against the 1s, but he throws the best ball and just looks different out there (somebody please let On3 know about that)
- pick 6s were from Watts (ball hawk) and Mickey. Shuler also had an interception on the last play. Angeli threw 2 of those. Minchey 1 and Carr 0
- offensive line struggled. Tackles especially. Pendleton had a rough go as backup center snapping the ball. Coogan leading for left guard
- edge rushers looked good. Prister said Traore is big time
- greathouse looks like a number 1 receiver, cam Williams also played well with 2s and 3s - cj was throwing to him
- Raridon played and looked good
- love is playing all over the field. Not just at slot
- only 12 personnel was in goal line
- jeter missed a field goal hitting the upright
- Jayden Thomas hurt with hamstring, Jayden Harrison out with plantar fasciitis. Tyson ford stepped away for personal reasons

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
If Carr can win the second job that’s a home run but what worries me is Leonard is injury prone. Ideal situation Leonard stays healthy and Carr gets plenty of snaps this year and takes over next year. With 3 years left of egilibity. If that happens Angeli and Minchey most likely transfer so ND would most likely need to bring in a transfer after this year for depth.

I hate losing any of these guys, but Carr already being good enough to be number 2 is probably the best case scenario.
I'd still name Steve number 2 because we NEED three quarterbacks on the roster. Naming Carr might cause them both to transfer out.

CJ and Steve can battle head to head in 2025 and Steve might still stay if he loses since he'd be so close to the degree.

Unfortunately if CJ is that good this early it might cause Duece to look elsewhere or refuse to sit 2-3 years of this chance.
Good problems to have though.

INLaw

Hardcore chooch
Reaction score

Great summary. If you don’t have 14 minutes here are some key points:

- defense won overall. Offense turned it up late but was hurt by pick-6s
- CJ Carr was the best qb. He didn’t go against the 1s, but he throws the best ball and just looks different out there (somebody please let On3 know about that)
- pick 6s were from Watts (ball hawk) and Mickey. Shuler also had an interception on the last play. Angeli threw 2 of those. Minchey 1 and Carr 0
- offensive line struggled. Tackles especially. Pendleton had a rough go as backup center snapping the ball. Coogan leading for left guard
- edge rushers looked good. Prister said Traore is big time
- greathouse looks like a number 1 receiver, cam Williams also played well with 2s and 3s - cj was throwing to him
- Raridon played and looked good
- love is playing all over the field. Not just at slot
- only 12 personnel was in goal line
- jeter missed a field goal hitting the upright
- Jayden Thomas hurt with hamstring, Jayden Harrison out with plantar fasciitis. Tyson ford stepped away for personal reasons

O line is super concerning. Wish we could buy a front line left tackle in the transfer window and bump Jagusah into left guard and go from passable to good O line. That could be the difference between playoffs or not or winning a playoff game or not. How O line U ended up in this situation when most of the recruits were highly rated is beyond me.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
O line is super concerning. Wish we could buy a front line left tackle in the transfer window and bump Jagusah into left guard and go from passable to good O line. That could be the difference between playoffs or not or winning a playoff game or not. How O line U ended up in this situation when most of the recruits were highly rated is beyond me.

I don't think it's time to freak out yet. I'm completely bought in with the explanation of a still gelling unit going against one of the best Ds in the country that has 3 years of coaching/scheme cohesion.

We need them to be good enough to beat A+M and get better as the season goes on.

A+M has a lot of freak edge rushers though, it's not gonna be easy. (But it sure seems like NDs pass rush is gonna be no walk in the park for them either)

T-Boone

Reaction score
Sounds like Greathouse is pretty good.
I’d say he is number 1.
Ghouse
Thomas
Faison
Gilbert
Something like that for now.

bumpdaddy

Reaction score
Sounds like our tackles got absolutely abused today.
O'Malley made a point to say that some of the pressures off the edge were from unblocked players. He thinks Angeli and Minchey may have called the wrong protection on those plays, so the OTs might not deserve all the blame.

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
Sounds like Greathouse is pretty good.
I’d say he is number 1.
Ghouse
Thomas
Faison
Gilbert
Something like that for now.
That's probably the order for the receivers that were already here.
The list looks different when you add the 3 transfers.

irishandy

Reaction score
  • Last year I felt that ND had a healthy QB room, nice to see that continue this season.
  • Nice to see KVA's name as a stand out.
  • Also nice to see Cam Williams name out there, I think he and Gilbert will be added weapons to the position
  • Love all over the field is going to be a headache for the opposing DC

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
You do realize that since we are playing against our own team, then it means our ends dominated? Spring practice truly is a fascinating case study for a human beings mind.

The ideal practice, logically, is where the OL and DL both feel frustrated, much like a successful negotiation… everyone leaves feeling dissatisfied and wanting more.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
You do realize that since we are playing against our own team, then it means our ends dominated? Spring practice truly is a fascinating case study for a human beings mind.
Baker has given up over 4 sacks in a single game before… that’s one of our favorites to start at tackle, the other a RS frosh that should be a guard

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
What ND does in the portal will be interesting and telling what the coaches think/see.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
What ND does in the portal will be interesting and telling what the coaches think/see.
Sure, but what we need most at this point may be the single hardest thing to get in the portal. An OL who'd be an upgrade on the ones we have in-house.

Rambler09

Reaction score
Percent chance Carr 1.) Ends up #1/2 by end of season and 2.) Gets meaningful snaps?

NDMatt91

Reaction score
Sure, but what we need most at this point may be the single hardest thing to get in the portal. An OL who'd be an upgrade on the ones we have in-house.
ND should've offered Roger Rosengarten a bag to hit the portal and come here before he entered the draft after DeBoer left.