Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Notre Dame (1-2) @ North Carolina (3-0)
Line: UNC -1.5
Saturday, September 24
3:30 PM
ABC

Votes are public. Poll closes on Saturday, 09/24 at 12:20 PM ET.

Coming off of the first win in the Marcus Freeman era, the Irish hit the road for the second time this season to take on the undefeated North Carolina Tar Heals. This is UNC's first game against an FBS opponent this year, although they are well tested against two quality G5 opponents in App State and Georgia State, two perennial bowl participants.

The game comes down to strength vs. strength and weakness vs. weakness for both teams: UNC's offense vs. ND's defense, and vice versa, respectively.

UNC has some gaudy offensive numbers this season against suspect defenses in their G5 opponents, but Maye has seemingly picked up where Howell left off with a plethora of weapons at his disposal. ND's pass rush finally made a statement against a porous Cal O-line, but here's to hoping it was the confidence boost they needed to get going after a sleepy first two weeks. The secondary continues to play really solid football, hopefully they can generate a couple of turnovers (that will stand on the field) to give our offense some short fields.

Defensively, UNC is simply lost under Mack Brown, as they've gotten worse each year; they gave up 42 points in a single quarter (!) against App St. They rank near the bottom of the FBS, well into the 100s. Unfortunately, the same rings true for ND's offense through three weeks. Hopefully the OL builds on a solid second half against a pretty decent Cal defense, rolls into Chapel Hill and paves the way for our RBs.

Give me Notre Dame 31 - UNC 27. If we can score 24 against an above average Cal defense, I think we can marginally improve by one score against a TERRIBLE UNC defense. ND forces a couple of big time field goals to keep UNC's scoring in check.

Last edited:

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
34-27 UNC.

ND defense holds UNC's potent offense to well below their season average, but ND's offense continues to struggle to break 30.

Tuesday gut feeling. Check back on Friday.

*I reserve the right to accept an outcome where ND puts together two solid halves with continued improvement on the OL and Pyne not shitting his pants for an entire half. If so, 37-34 ND. GO IRISH!

I'm still torn on my prediction. Will vote tomorrow.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
I have no freaking idea how this game turns out and it may be that way for most games this season.

UNC should have all their offensive weapons back

Their QB can throw & run so good luck containing him on 3rd & longs.

Their WR Downs torched the ND defense last season.

Will the ND OL improve from last week and dominate the trenches or take a step back?

Will Pyne & Rees find their comfort level and get a rhythm going in the offense?

Will the WR finally play a role and make the safeties respect them?

Will the Irish LB corps finally live up to their preseason expectations?

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
yeah I have no idea either,.... I figure they will win more than they lose on talent differential alone so I picked a close win here.

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
yeah I have no idea either,.... I figure they will win more than they lose on talent differential alone so I picked a close win here.
Wtf am I putting an ACamp option up there for if you aren't going to use it?! What is happening?

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
34-28 Irish in a nailbiter that is super stressful and not enjoyable at all.

Instead of being totally dead for an entire half and then coming to life, the offense will be off-and-on erratically throughout the game, which might be even more frustrating, as it teases the competence we've been waiting to see.

The game boils down to UNC's final drive, where the defense has to FINALLY figure out how to contain Maye while also not allowing Downs and/or UNC's RB's to gash them on the way to a game-winning score.

I predict that for the first time this season, Marist Liafau actually uses the sideline as a defender on a key Maye scramble, keeping appropriate contain and forcing him back towards the middle, where help is on the way, getting a key 4th down stop, allowing the offense to kneel out the clock.

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
34-28 Irish in a nailbiter that is super stressful and not enjoyable at all.

Instead of being totally dead for an entire half and then coming to life, the offense will be off-and-on erratically throughout the game, which might be even more frustrating, as it teases the competence we've been waiting to see.

The game boils down to UNC's final drive, where the defense has to FINALLY figure out how to contain Maye while also not allowing Downs and/or UNC's RB's to gash them on the way to a game-winning score.

I predict that for the first time this season, Marist Liafau actually uses the sideline as a defender on a key Maye scramble, keeping appropriate contain and forcing him back towards the middle, where help is on the way, getting a key 4th down stop, allowing the offense to kneel out the clock.
I agree with you.

I just wish Rees would call more touchdown plays and Golden would call more sack and interception plays, but for some reason they just want to keep us on their toes.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
UNC goes up 7-0 and IE is is virtual meltdown. Third drive of the game our lads find their rhythm and tie the score. Irish ease ahead 21-10 before UNC starts clicking and takes a 24-21 lead. Irish score a TD with 1:42 left on the clock to lead 28-24. UNC converts a third down from their 18 and starts to move. UNC at the ND 32 with 12 ticks left. Lacy reaches down deep for one last push and ends the game on a trip sack.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
We're likely in for lots of frustration watching our LBs lose contain on Maye on passing downs and allowing him to convert 3rd downs with his legs, as well as more than a few long gains on screens. But it's going to be hard for UNC to sustain drives all game that way. Their OL should not be able to control the LOS, so they'll be in constant danger of Foskey and Co. just taking over the game.

Their defense is really bad though. Currently ranked last on our whole schedule (yes, even worse than UNLV). So this is the perfect game to get our offense back on track. We can obviously stop ourselves through incompetence, but UNC won't be stopping us.

Last edited:

Irish4life

Reaction score
Notre Dame 30

North Carolina 23

Defense gets it's first turnover on a strip sack fumble recovery. Run game and Pyne keeping ND ahead of the sticks is enough for the Irish to head into the bye week at 2-2.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ND 31-27. I’m going to ride the green kool aid for this week. ND uses the momentum they gained after last weeks 2nd half into a consistent showing from the OL which controls the clock and helps the offense become reasonably efficient. This limits the opportunities for Maye and the potent UNC offense. ND’s defense does just enough to keep the points down and come away with the victory. It’s a good win that gets the Irish feeling like they can salvage the season.

Armyirish47

Reaction score
Good guys win 31-30 with a walk off field goal. Offense starts slow again, but turns it on the second half. Defense gets a couple turnovers and some big stops to force field goals as Mack goes conservative after his pudding break.

bgienko

Reaction score

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
North Carolina 28
Notre Dame 17

I also predict I stop watching midway through the 1st quarter. Hell... my wife just asked if I wanted to go to Carlsbad Caverns Saturday. I have no clue what that is but they will probably score more than ND Saturday.