• Poll closed .

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Marshall @ #8 Notre Dame (-20.5)
Saturday, September 10
2:30 PM
NBC/Peacock

Votes are public. Poll closes on Saturday, 09/10 at Noon ET.

At first glance, I saw the spread was -18.5 ND, and it has since moved quickly to -20.5 ND. I thought the spread seemed a little light, but Vegas might be banking on ND having another clunky offensive performance against a pretty decent G5 defensive squad.

Marshall has the ability to run the football, so if we get off to a slow start offensively and they are competent moving the ball on the ground, it might lead for a longer, more stressful afternoon than any of us are hoping for.

This is a Marshall team that has made a bowl game in five straight years, and eight out of the last nine seasons, so not exactly a G5 team to take lightly. I don't suspect MF and the boys will after a tough loss last week; I think Harry will light a fire under the OL's collective butts and we will have success running the ball early and often, and Buchner will have a better day passing with more time to throw than he did last week when he was pressured on over 40% of his drop backs.

A slow first quarter gets the fans a little anxious, but the dam breaks before halftime. ND 45 - Marshall 13

Last edited:

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
I'll go with 42-10. Everyone is upset because it is 35-0 at halftime so it is another second half that Freeman loses.

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
I'll go with 42-10. Everyone is upset because it is 35-0 at halftime so it is another second half that Freeman loses.
I think that would depend on how the second half actually looked; if he's getting some of the youngsters in early and often in the second half, that would be far more palatable than if the starters remained and struggled to move the ball for the final two quarters.

Armyirish47

Reaction score
Feels like a fairly straightforward 31-10 game that isn't as close as the score indicates. We pound on each other but the defense is too strong and we get more glimpses of Buchner's growth. We don't get to clear the benches but hopefully we see some names rotate in frequently for a taste of the action.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
I think that would depend on how the second half actually looked; if he's getting some of the youngsters in early and often in the second half, that would be far more palatable than if the starters remained and struggled to move the ball for the final two quarters.

I forgot italics for the second half. Only IE would find something to be upset about in a 42-10 win that was over at halftime.

Some Irish Bloke

Reaction score
Quick standings update:

37 pickers got the prediction correct last week with pOSU 7-13; participation is much higher this year (which is great), so once we get a little bit of separation at the top of the leaderboard, I'll post the standings/spreadsheet with the leaders, etc.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
Randy Moss picked Marshall over Notre Dame. Also, Marshall once had a very inspirational tear-jerker of a movie centered around their football team,.... Notre Dame has never had a film like that,....

It won't be by 50 tho,... Freeman will go full Apolo Creed's manager and throw in the towel and the mighty Herd will have mercy,.... by 49

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I took the 28-34, but I want to see our lads hang a 60 burger on them.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
52-0.

No mercy after last week. ND is too physical, too talented, and Freeman won't allow any hangover issues to fester.

Buchner will quickly find that Marshall's defense is not the same as Ohio State's defense, to his great benefit.
Our defense will quickly find that Marshall's offense is not Ohio State's offense, to their great benefit.

Making Marshall one-dimensional when they're on offense, and hitting them with three different RB's AND Buchner on RPO's AND Mayer/Styles on play-action will have the Herd lost, even if they are one of the better group-of-5 teams out there.

Go Irish.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
ND by 7-13 and they fall to #21 in the polls due to eye test. There's a QB controversy when Pyne gets a key play late in the 4th to help preserve a win.
All joking aside I did have a thought that this is a game they take some shots and Buchner has some untimely turnovers.

arndtjc

Jameson in my Jameson
Reaction score
ND by 7-13 and they fall to #21 in the polls due to eye test. There's a QB controversy when Pyne gets a key play late in the 4th to help preserve a win.

This is missing italics right?

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
Apart from, like, winning I'm interested in the IOL being assignment sound, blitz pickup, and whether ND gets a double digit number of targets to the WRs.

irishff1014

Reaction score
We need to be up by 21-28 at half time. This way Thomas, Bauman, and Merriweather can get some significant snaps. We need those guys to build some confidence.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I’m interested to find out if playing down to the competition exists in the Freeman Era.
I'm scrolling through this thread wondering the same thing. If not, will MF keep the foot on the gas or hit the brakes like Kelly?

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm scrolling through this thread wondering the same thing. If not, will MF keep the foot on the gas or hit the brakes like Kelly?

I would like to think that Freeman knows there is no time to hit the brakes. Too much development that needs to happen with the offense, especially the younger guys and receivers.

Based on how he treated the freshmen getting involved early and often in camp, he's going to do the same thing whenever possible with situations where the game is in hand the young guys are on the field.

Dizzyphil

Reaction score
We need to be up by 21-28 at half time. This way Thomas, Bauman, and Merriweather can get some significant snaps. We need those guys to build some confidence.
With all do respect... I don't want MFMF waiting for a lead in a game to incorporate these players... This was something that BK lacked in coaching. IMO - put these guys in and see how they play/react and then coach them into playing correctly - if they don't. Playing them in unrealistic avenues, I believe is what hinders their future playing abilities.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
With all do respect... I don't want MFMF waiting for a lead in a game to incorporate these players... This was something that BK lacked in coaching. IMO - put these guys in and see how they play/react and then coach them into playing correctly - if they don't. Playing them in unrealistic avenues, I believe is what hinders their future playing abilities.
Agreed. Our freshmen should be able to beat Marshall.

Irish2155

Reaction score
Tyler Buchner time. Dude and receivers will come around and then we’re off and rolling….