2022 Fall Camp Thread

SouthSideChiDomer

Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure the exact rules for the 85 man scholarship this year? I thought we were back to everyone counting normal again and that puts us at 85. But now I’ve seen some say guys like Lugg essentially don’t count again as of a July ruling which would put us far below are real max, in which case it’d join others and be back to baffled we didn’t add in the portal at WR. It’s either back to 85 cut and dry or it’s 85 + COVID seniors.

If so were they that worried about rocking the boat and guys leaving if they added?
Its 85. There are changing rules about how many first time counters you can have, coaches found "loopholes" about cutting players, everyone is complaining about transfers, and the covid redshirt is still giving people extra years, but there was only one season were it was above 85 and that is now over. We are at the limit. Adding a scholarship player would mean having to get rid of one somewhere else.

Dale

Reaction score
Starting with a Salerno highlight:

200.gif

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
I’m hoping we can get Raridon in a Ben Skowronek type role as a big receiver. Maybe even Cane Berrong as a big slot guy if he‘s regained his speed (not that he was super speedy before his injury). There is going to be a need for creativity.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m hoping we can get Raridon in a Ben Skowronek type role as a big receiver. Maybe even Cane Berrong as a big slot guy if he‘s regained his speed (not that he was super speedy before his injury). There is going to be a need for creativity.

Since I'm not greedy enough to say Shark... I'll go Tyler Eifert his Soph year.

laughingirish90

Reaction score
Clarence = Clifford Jefferson
that is a name from the past that i haven't heard in over a decade lol. considered an all world type DB coming out of the Dallas area by some people and yet he got beat sooooooo many times by WRs

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
Since I'm not greedy enough to say Shark... I'll go Tyler Eifert his Soph year.
I’d really like to see a 3 or even 4 TE set in certain situations with one in the slot, two out wide and the last inline. Then 5 OL, 1 QB and 1 RB. I think the CBs would soil themselves, it‘d be like 6’5” forwards posting up against 6’ guards on the hardwoods. If the QB can deliver the ball slightly high, I can’t see how that type of set wouldn’t work, especially in shorter to medium type yardage. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it done in relation to a passing play (or I just don’t remember seeing it).

Wild Bill

Reaction score
I’d really like to see a 3 or even 4 TE set in certain situations with one in the slot, two out wide and the last inline. Then 5 OL, 1 QB and 1 RB. I think the CBs would soil themselves, it‘d be like 6’5” forwards posting up against 6’ guards on the hardwoods. If the QB can deliver the ball slightly high, I can’t see how that type of set wouldn’t work, especially in shorter to medium type yardage. I don’t think I’ve ever seen it done in relation to a passing play (or I just don’t remember seeing it).

Height isn't as important as speed. You need a couple guys that can blow the top of the defense to keep them honest. The speed opens up the middle of the field for tight ends and the run game. If you hammer them with the run and a big dose of mayer the receivers have more room to work. It's all tied together but speed really does kill.

Irish du Nord

Reaction score
Height isn't as important as speed. You need a couple guys that can blow the top of the defense to keep them honest. The speed opens up the middle of the field for tight ends and the run game. If you hammer them with the run and a big dose of mayer the receivers have more room to work. It's all tied together but speed really does kill.
Lenzy and Styles definitely have that, Merriweather probably too to a degree. Ultimately, I think the pieces will be there for Buchner to make do with.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Lenzy and Styles definitely have that, Merriweather probably too to a degree. Ultimately, I think the pieces will be there for Buchner to make do with.

For sure. Tyree has some wheels too and I'm sure he'll be lined up in the slot quite a bit.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
For sure. Tyree has some wheels too and I'm sure he'll be lined up in the slot quite a bit.

I’m guessing the staff will have him running routes a lot. He’s not an every down back. No reason I can think of that he can’t be on the field every down. I wonder too if Payne has any pass catching background? Conor Ratigan is going to have to get good fast.

Last edited: