2021-2022 College Football Playoff

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
IDK where we'll be but there may be an even bigger disparity in the top 3 this year than in years past

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
So I’ll eat my own crow somewhat (don’t think it’ll matter in the end but worth acknowledging). UK and Ole Miss sneaky taking the all important second loss while others were in primetime. That does clean up some SEC possibilities. Georgia and Alabama only possible 1 loss teams.

Big 12 preserves 3 undefeated or 1 loss teams with Baylor impressively taking care of business with Texas. Don’t see the Big 12 getting 2 at all but the strength of record of the conference is holding up by Texas just keeping on losing instead of causing some cannibalism.

Michigan and PSU don’t help the B1G at all at this point. PSU will have their shot at MSU and of course Michigan at OSU.

and then there’s Oregon, Wake and of course UC.

Georgia
Alabama
Oklahoma
Baylor
Oklahoma St
Ohio State
Michigan St
Michigan
Oregon
Wake Forest
Cincinnati
Notre Dame

I'm very interested to see how Oregon is ranked compared to Ohio St. If they both win out the committee is totally fucked which I love.. Ohio St is better but they took the L at home so

InKellyWeTrust

Reaction score
In order of most likely to make it imo
SEC champ
Ohio St Big 10 champ
Oklahoma Big 12 champ
Oregon Pac 12 champ
1 loss SEC runner up
Cincy
An oddball 1 loss team
1 loss ND

I still think undefeated Cincy needs help and a 1 loss ND needs the stars to align :waiting:

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Rankings are released this week, right?

Sent from my SM-J337U using Tapatalk

irishtrain

Reaction score
Ala doesnt lose another game this year-they are better than Georgia plus there's a huge mental barrier to get thru-I really hate what college football has been allowed to morph into just minor league pro football.

Rogue219

Reaction score
Ala doesnt lose another game this year-they are better than Georgia plus there's a huge mental barrier to get thru-I really hate what college football has been allowed to morph into just minor league pro football.

FREE minor league, too. The NFL isn't paying for any of it. Sweet deal for them.

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
FREE minor league, too. The NFL isn't paying for any of it. Sweet deal for them.

I've never understood exactly what people mean when they say that a program is an NFL minor league team. Does it mean they think the program puts a lot of players into the NFL, is just a football program with no classes necessary, could almost compete with an NFL team, that they pay all their players, or what? Serious question. I genuinely don't know what you and others mean when you use that term.

317Irish

Reaction score
I've never understood exactly what people mean when they say that a program is an NFL minor league team. Does it mean they think the program puts a lot of players into the NFL, is just a football program with no classes necessary, could almost compete with an NFL team, that they pay all their players, or what? Serious question. I genuinely don't know what you and others mean when you use that term.

Irishtrain was referring to college football in general, not a specific program.

NDRock

Reaction score

Pretty much what you said.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
Louisiana is 7-1… conference game in prime time and there’s like 300 people in attendance from my view. UTEP is trying to get a packed Sun Bowl the last few weeks and is only getting 2/3 there… makes me feel better about that seeing the Rangin Cajuns getting all of one local family to show up

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score

Yes

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score

LOL

Having grown up in the 60's and 70's, I think most of the bad stuff was almost certainly much worse back then. Most schools bought recruits and boosters paid players at virtually every major program. Class was optional for talented, yet dumb jocks. There was much less technology and oversight, thus much easier to get away with such and it was generally ignored as long as it didn't become too obvious and flagrant.

ND88

Reaction score

Is oversigning to cut just a myth of attrition or should academic institutions support the student athlete through graduation if they prove lesser on the football field?

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
Is oversigning to cut just a myth of attrition or should academic institutions support the student athlete through graduation if they prove lesser on the football field?

Just a myth. As long as a program doesn't violate NCAA rules on the matter, there's no problem.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
Just a myth. As long as a program doesn't violate NCAA rules on the matter, there's no problem.

ScholarlySophisticatedBarb-size_restricted.gif

Ndaccountant

Old Hoss
Reaction score
LOL

Having grown up in the 60's and 70's, I think most of the bad stuff was almost certainly much worse back then. Most schools bought recruits and boosters paid players at virtually every major program. Class was optional for talented, yet dumb jocks. There was much less technology and oversight, thus much easier to get away with such and it was generally ignored as long as it didn't become too obvious and flagrant.

From my position, it has more to do with how the institutions support the programs.

For example, there is a clear difference in how much Alabama is willing to spend on direct and indirect football operations. Compare that to Michigan State as an example. 30 years ago, I would be willing to wager a fair sum of money that overall operating budgets were much more uniform than they are today. Sure, some may have spent more, but it wouldn't be the obscene differences that exist today. There are lots of good reasons as to why that has happened (TV $$$ being the primary issue). But the fact is, there are a limited number of college programs that are set up to operate as a mini NFL franchises. The support staffs, training facilities, etc.

Put it this way, if the NCAA came out tomorrow and said no school could spend more than $XXM per year for off-field staff, recruiting budgets, etc, chances are, it would only impact a handful of schools. That is what I personally think of when people say minor league NFL.

Rogue219

Reaction score

That's not what I said.

The NFL drafts from essentially one place: college football programs. NFL teams employ scouts who primarily go to college football games on Saturdays to find talent. The NHL and MLB have minor league systems where drafted players go prior to turning professional. Even the NBA has the G League and draft the rights to European and South American players from those respective leagues.

Professional football pulls their players from the NCAA. There are no A, AA, AAA, G League, etc. levels. A significant portion of player development occurs on college campuses and NFL teams are not investing in that.

T Town Tommy

Alabama Bag Man
Reaction score
From my position, it has more to do with how the institutions support the programs.

For example, there is a clear difference in how much Alabama is willing to spend on direct and indirect football operations. Compare that to Michigan State as an example. 30 years ago, I would be willing to wager a fair sum of money that overall operating budgets were much more uniform than they are today. Sure, some may have spent more, but it wouldn't be the obscene differences that exist today. There are lots of good reasons as to why that has happened (TV $$$ being the primary issue). But the fact is, there are a limited number of college programs that are set up to operate as a mini NFL franchises. The support staffs, training facilities, etc.

Put it this way, if the NCAA came out tomorrow and said no school could spend more than $XXM per year for off-field staff, recruiting budgets, etc, chances are, it would only impact a handful of schools. That is what I personally think of when people say minor league NFL.

The rise of television money, along with Saban changing the way college programs operate, is largely to blame for the current state of CFB. While neither one was illegal, against any rules, or whatever, it will make for a damn good thesis ten years from now on why there’s only two conferences in CFB and the fact that it’s nothing more than a minor league NFL operation. The effects of NIL $ now is leading CFB in that direction much faster than most probably expected and that, along with the other two reasons mentioned has created the environment in which CFB now exists.

Riddickulous

"That" Guy
Reaction score
I think Georgia is the only team I feel confident is making the CFP. Seems like almost no one is very good this year.

Dale

Reaction score
Based off this weeks results I think the committee will do this assuming Alabama and Oregon hang on:

Georgia
Alabama
Oregon
Ohio State

Cincinnati
Michigan St
Michigan
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

SBirishlawyer

Reaction score
Based off this weeks results I think the committee will do this assuming Alabama and Oregon hang on:

Georgia
Alabama
Oregon
Ohio State

Cincinnati
Michigan St
Michigan
Oklahoma
Notre Dame

I agree but how do you reward anything about bama or ducks performances. At this point eye test is kind of gross on them too.

SBirishlawyer

Reaction score
Bama gonna have to hold again late not to lose to 4-4 coach fired corn doggies. A number of their wins have been mehh and their loss wasnt to an undefeated opponent. Completely trading on their name. I remember when the scam committee first started and ESPN hired IU grad Heather Dumbbitch to specifically report on the committee. Miss Dumbbitch spent so much breath explaining about how every ranking they took the names off everything and its blind resume comparison. I thought bullshit then and obvious triple bullshit now.

SBirishlawyer

Reaction score
Wow look at Oregon they are gonna win by more then a simple touchdown and extra point over a team running an offense identical to that of Steve Deber’s 1989 KC Chiefs. Bet they are the new mystery second place team tuesday. Number two should just be the joker spot and each week we spin the wheel of one loss teams.

Rogue219

Reaction score
I think Utah beats Oregon this weekend.

I'm leaning on SMU beating Cincinnati too because I think this playoff talk is going to distract Cincinnati the longer it lingers.

Irish2155

Reaction score
I think Utah beats Oregon this weekend.

I'm leaning on SMU beating Cincinnati too because I think this playoff talk is going to distract Cincinnati the longer it lingers.

I sure hope that you’re correct

Dale

Reaction score
Seeing Houston for the first time. Definitely capable of the upset. SMU, @ ECU, and Houston in 3 straights weeks will require UC to be at their A game for 3 weeks straight for the first time. Don’t see them making it out, especially if Fickell has any distraction in progress.

Dale

Reaction score
Oregon might lose to Utah anyways, but I predict OSU will be 3 Tuesday night