2021-2022 College Football Playoff

Dale

Reaction score
Well since we won’t be there might as well discuss who will be.

It’ll be tough to keep Oregon (losing as we speak) or UC out but it’ll be interesting to see them try. Especially with the way the ACC is.

Contenders:

SEC Champ
1 loss Bama, UF or Georgia
Big Ten Champ
Undefeated Cincinnati
Big 12 champ, likely needing to be undefeated OU

OUT:
Pac-12 with Oregon losing
ACC
ND

My Sep 2nd prediction is:

Alabama
Georgia
Cincinnati
PSU/OSU

but I still somehow feel like a justification for a 1 loss OU will somehow sneak in.

Last edited:

MTLIrish

Reaction score
Would be nice to see Cincy get out in only to get mauled by Bama or Georgia. Unfortunately they will lose to someone before that gets to happen

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
Oregon may be playing themselves out of the playoff. Stanford just took them into overtime.

Dale

Reaction score
One option that would have the G5/UC heartthrobs up in arms…….

A 11-1 Texas.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
Would be nice to see Cincy get out in only to get mauled by Bama or Georgia. Unfortunately they will lose to someone before that gets to happen

I don't know who's going to beat them left on their schedule

Dale

Reaction score
One option that would have the G5/UC heartthrobs up in arms…….

A 11-1 Texas.

Thought they would pull it out and then have a devastating Texas type loss in a few weeks. Managed to squeeze it into the noon slate

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
I would be absolutely petrified if we had to play Georgia

That D is for real. 99% chance we face them at least once (and maybe twice) before this season's over. Not nearly as confident about how that'll go as I'd like to be.

NDRock

Reaction score
I would be absolutely petrified if we had to play Georgia

They are just loaded from a talent standpoint. Almost 25% of their team are 5* recruits. At a certain point even Kirby can’t fuck it up.

Dale

Reaction score
One week later contenders are IMO….

SEC Champ
1 loss Bama or Georgia
Big Ten Champ
Undefeated Cincinnati
Oklahoma

If you’re Cinci, you’re chances again increased for the second straight outside your own performance.

dad4aa

Reaction score
Just read an article giving 2-loss Clemson a 5.9% chance to make the playoffs. Crazy question, even though I believe we don’t belong, what do people think the chance is an 11-1 ND team makes it?

Riddickulous

"That" Guy
Reaction score
Just read an article giving 2-loss Clemson a 5.9% chance to make the playoffs. Crazy question, even though I believe we don’t belong, what do people think the chance is an 11-1 ND team makes it?

Zero.

Irish du Nord

Reaction score
One week later contenders are IMO….

SEC Champ
1 loss Bama or Georgia
Big Ten Champ
Undefeated Cincinnati
Oklahoma

If you’re Cinci, you’re chances again increased for the second straight outside your own performance.

I’d throw OK State in there. If they run the table, it would be tough to leave them out. And I definitely think they have a shot to beat this OU team.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score

Looking at who is in front of us we would need:

1 ND goes undefeated
2 Georgia runs the table. Eliminates UK, Alabama.
3 Big10 East completes a circle of suck and the winner beats Iowa in the Big10 CG. Eliminates OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan, Iowa.
4 Oklahoma State loses to Texas next week and beats Oklahoma in the final game of the season. Eliminates OSU, OU.

Playoffs are Georgia, Cincinnati, Oregon, and ND.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
Looking at who is in front of us we would need:

1 ND goes undefeated
2 Georgia runs the table. Eliminates UK, Alabama.
3 Big10 East completes a circle of suck and the winner beats Iowa in the Big10 CG. Eliminates OSU, PSU, MSU, Michigan, Iowa.
4 Oklahoma State loses to Texas next week and beats Oklahoma in the final game of the season. Eliminates OSU, OU.

Playoffs are Georgia, Cincinnati, Oregon, and ND.

We play Georgia and get destroyed
ND gets mocked relentlessly.
No thank you.

T-Boone

Reaction score

I agree with essentially zero. Cinccy, OK and Oregon would all need to lose 2 plus a bunch of other things,

T-Boone

Reaction score
Any chance a 2 loss team makes it this year. For example Bama beating Georgia then losing the SEC game.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I’d throw OK State in there. If they run the table, it would be tough to leave them out. And I definitely think they have a shot to beat this OU team.

Oklahoma may be the most vulnerable of those teams.

InKellyWeTrust

Reaction score
Cincy still needs help. Can't have 2 x 1 loss SEC teams come away from the SEC champ plus 1 loss Oregon PAC 13 champ and 0-1 loss Oklahoma BIG12 champ. Big 10 champ almost assuredly get in.

So then:
1) SEC champ - lock
2) BIG 10 champ - near lock
3) undefeated Oklahoma BIG 12 champ - lock. Even 1 loss gives them 50/50 odds or better with Cincy
4) other 1-loss SEC team or 1 loss Oregon PAC 12 champ

I still think undefeated Cincinnati finishes behind all the above.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
11-1 ND makes it ahead of 1 loss Cincy.

If UC and ND both end up at 11-1, the committee would avoid the debate entirely and screw them both out of a playoff spot. It's a chaos year, so they'll probably get away with whatever bullshit final rankings they put out there.

The only exception for ND over 11-1 UC is if Buchner starts the second half of the season, and the committee argues that ND is better having been baptized by fire.

The only exception for 11-1 UC over ND is if UC has an extenuating circumstance in their loss (Ridder is out for a week or something), and there's enough chaos to still justify a 1-loss G5 team (aka all of the conference championship games get weird).

Rogue219

Reaction score
We play Georgia and get destroyed
ND gets mocked relentlessly.
No thank you.

Pretty much. I'm really not up for it again.

Mandel projected ND to face Texas in the Cheez It Bowl in his latest projection on The Athletic.

If that ends up being the case, I will be screaming at my TV like I have $10k bet on ND to win straight up. I absolutely do not want to see ND lose to Texas.

ACamp1900

Man of Culture
Reaction score
If UC and ND both end up at 11-1, the committee would avoid the debate entirely and screw them both out of a playoff spot. It's a chaos year, so they'll probably get away with whatever bullshit final rankings they put out there.

The only exception for ND over 11-1 UC is if Buchner starts the second half of the season, and the committee argues that ND is better having been baptized by fire.

The only exception for 11-1 UC over ND is if UC has an extenuating circumstance in their loss (Ridder is out for a week or something), and there's enough chaos to still justify a 1-loss G5 team (aka all of the conference championship games get weird).

Honestly I think we'd get in because "Power 5 baby!!"... not saying it's right but it's what i would expect... and of course we'd get Bama or Uga in round 1...

Dale

Reaction score
Ok St’s comeback versus Texas was bad news for UC. It enhances the overall profile for the Big 12 rankings wise for Ok St to be good. UCs best chance might be undefeated Georgia, especially with UF falling off. Also need Ole Miss to drop one more to not have to think of them. The window seemed to open for a few weeks and now I can see the P5 surge in sight.

Bama wins out, Ole Miss wins out and Georgia wins out is nightmare fuel for UC. It’d be a SEC championship of Bama vs Georgia with Ole Miss as a 11-1 idle. Bama wins, them and Georgia are in. Bama loses, Ole Miss slides in a controversial one.