2020 Coaching carousel

Jiggafini19Deux

The Pope of Greenwich Village
Reaction score
Bill O'Brien is an Ivy League grad who has coached under Belichick and Saban. I don't know that Nebraska is a fit for him, but their interest makes total sense.

He's a smart guy with good mentoring who will likely know what to stay away from. His next move, whatever and whenever it is, should be a big one for his career.

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
As a Bama fan, I'd be glad to see O'Brien go. I don't hate the guy by any means, but he's been a mediocre OC for us. Maybe we got spoiled by Lane and Sark, but O'Brien is just adequate to good as our OC, certainly not exceptional.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
As a Bama fan, I'd be glad to see O'Brien go. I don't hate the guy by any means, but he's been a mediocre OC for us. Maybe we got spoiled by Lane and Sark, but O'Brien is just adequate to good as our OC, certainly not exceptional.
Did Bryce Young just rise above O'Brien's mediocrity?

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
He wasn't a bad coach at Penn State. He had a good o line and liked to run the ball. What more mid west style could you have?
He also had the experience of coaching for a fan base with impossible expectations (for somewhat different reasons in that case) and may not be down for that sort of situation a second time.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Another crack at the NFL is certainly within the realm of possibility for Bill O'Brien. The League still loves a hire from the recycling bin.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
So Ruggiero has been at Wake Forest since 2014. He's clearly had other opportunities.

Is there a job he's waiting on in particular according to the tea leaves? Is he ride or die with Clawson since he goes back to Bowling Green with him?

There has to be a reason he's stayed at Wake Forest. Seems like he's everyone's cup of tea around here. I'm just wondering if anyone has anything other than theories or speculation about why he's been there so long.

Great play caller and he's gotten a lot out of the QBs he's had, including Jamie Newman, who was a personal favorite recruit of mine that particular year he was a senior. Is Ruggiero the potential mega recruiter everyone is longing for here?

Just curious to know more about this guy

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
guys like O'Brien are basically what Tommy Rees aspires to be. All about scheme and nothing else appealing. Unsuitable for CFB but workable as OC's if someone else is doing everything else (recruitment/development)

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
So Ruggiero has been at Wake Forest since 2014. He's clearly had other opportunities.

Is there a job he's waiting on in particular according to the tea leaves? Is he ride or die with Clawson since he goes back to Bowling Green with him?

There has to be a reason he's stayed at Wake Forest. Seems like he's everyone's cup of tea around here. I'm just wondering if anyone has anything other than theories or speculation about why he's been there so long.

Great play caller and he's gotten a lot out of the QBs he's had, including Jamie Newman, who was a personal favorite recruit of mine that particular year he was a senior. Is Ruggiero the potential mega recruiter everyone is longing for here?

No clue about his recruiting or why he stayed with DC. What I do know is, I would take anyone of his QBs over what we have (based on their college success) and his offense is one of the better ones in the country.

Newman, Wolford, and Hartman? I mean come on man. I'd ride or die with anyone of these guys.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
guys like O'Brien are basically what Tommy Rees aspires to be. All about scheme and nothing else appealing. Unsuitable for CFB but workable as OC's if someone else is doing everything else (recruitment/development)
Perhaps we should take as an omen the photo that appears with this (garbage, bot-generated) article about Ruggerio.

(Who is that really? Elko?)

Dale

Reaction score
Yeah that’s Elko.

Elko until he took the Duke job was probably the highest paid coach most people couldn’t pick out of a lineup.

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
Did Bryce Young just rise above O'Brien's mediocrity?
To a great degree, yes. Yesterday a former Bama WR from 15 years ago said O'Brien's offense was basic and like watching paint dry (Former Tide WR calls Alabama football’s offense ‘basic’, like watching ‘paint dry’). I agree. Young's play within it is sometimes spectacular and he makes the most of his opportunities, but it's still a bland offense overall. O'Brien doesn't seem to stretch the field or cause many nightmares for opposing coaches with his schemes or play calling. Granted we don't have an apparent 1st rounder at WR right now, let alone 3 or 4 of them like we did in recent years, but O'Brien is still just bland for even the talent he has. If Sark was the OC, I think that Young would be putting up video game stats.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score

Could be that he is perfectly content to be an OC.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
No clue about his recruiting or why he stayed with DC. What I do know is, I would take anyone of his QBs over what we have (based on their college success) and his offense is one of the better ones in the country.

Newman, Wolford, and Hartman? I mean come on man. I'd ride or die with anyone of these guys.
Newman is in Canada and was never drafted, Wolford is with the Rams and wasn't drafted, Hartman is a fifth year senior.

All of that is that much better that what we've seen at ND?

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Last time I checked ND didn't play in the NFL
Last I checked playing in the NFL is a component of QB development in college, no? The undrafted guys from Wake Forest are so much better than the undrafted ones from Notre Dame? Ian Book actually WAS drafted, but nobody is going to point that out, because...Tommy.

Listen, I get it. "Because Tommy." Every conversation circles back to him on this board right now. Sure, it's contrived and void of healthy perspective, but some of you jokers would take the QBs at Chattanooga right now just because.

ND is 5-0 against Wake Forest, 3-0 against Ruggiero since he's been there.

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
Last I checked playing in the NFL is a component of QB development in college, no? The undrafted guys from Wake Forest are so much better than the undrafted ones from Notre Dame? Ian Book actually WAS drafted, but nobody is going to point that out, because...Tommy.

Listen, I get it. "Because Tommy." Every conversation circles back to him on this board right now. Sure, it's contrived and void of healthy perspective, but some of you jokers would take the QBs at Chattanooga right now just because.

ND is 5-0 against Wake Forest, 3-0 against Ruggiero since he's been there.

Wake has never had the talent or skill players around those guys. You mentioned 1 guy, Book, who did a great job for us, but is having the same problems in the NFL that he did in college. Yes, I would take all those guys and Ruggiero over Tommy and what we had any day. Especially with the talent we can bring in.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Wake has never had the talent or skill players around those guys. You mentioned 1 guy, Book, who did a great job for us, but is having the same problems in the NFL that he did in college. Yes, I would take all those guys and Ruggiero over Tommy and what we had any day. Especially with the talent we can bring in.
So ultimately, I asked "what do we know about this guy", to which you answered nothing but all his QBs are better than ND's QBs. One undrafted guy in Canada, one undrafted QB2 in the NFL and a fifth year senior.

And he's lost to ND 3 times out of 3.

It just sounds like it's more about what ND (Rees) isn't versus what Ruggiero really is.

I mean, I suppose that's fair, but I still want to know more about him and will keep digging. Appreciate the discourse. Apologies for hijacking the carousel thread.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Last time I checked ND didn't play in the NFL
Not to further derail this thread, or rag on Jigg who is a rational and thoughtful poster, but yeah we (collectively) seem to place far too much value lately on how guys perform in NFL, when the reality is some guys are better college football players than they ever will be as pros. They are different games. This can be especially true of QBs.

So I’m not sure “how many NFL QBs has he developed” is the best way to judge a college offensive coordinator. What I do know is that Ruggerio has done a hell of a job helping make Wake Forest into a competitive college football team. Which it never really was before he (and Clawson and Elko/Lea) showed up.

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
Not to further derail this thread, or rag on Jigg who is a rational and thoughtful poster, but yeah we (collectively) seem to place far too much value lately on how guys perform in NFL, when the reality is some guys are better college football players than they ever will be as pros. They are different games. This can be especially true of QBs.

So I’m not sure “how many NFL QBs has he developed” is the best way to judge a college offensive coordinator. What I do know is that Ruggerio has done a hell of a job helping make Wake Forest into a competitive college football team. Which it never really was before he (and Clawson and Elko/Lea) showed up.

I agree, Jigg is a great poster and I felt it was a nice back and forth. I don't agree with him on how being an NFL QB is an indication of a successful college QB or OC. You nailed it with how he along with Clawson have done wonders wherever they have been, especially Wake.

And we could always call up an old friend to see if Ruggerio is a good fit at ND.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score

That's about 95% of them.

INLaw

Reaction score

Maybe he wants to get naturally mentholated salems direct from the source. Smoke em if you got em 🚬

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
You'd think GT would be a job where the right guy could do well. Recruiting base in GA alone. Don't know what their facilities are all about.