2020 Coaching carousel

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Three P5 jobs open and we're only three games into the season. Why?
I maybe get firing a guy this early if he's just a toxic dumpster fire but, like, is Ga. Tech really that? Mostly all you're doing is giving up on a season and putting your program in limbo for months.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
That might scare off Nebraska but I can't imagine Arizona State would much care, if they thought Urban's the one who could finally awaken their "sleeping giant" of a program. Only ethical concern might be if they're already in too much hot water w/the NCAA as it is.
From what I remember reading a while back, there may be some more NCAA crap.

Jiggafini19Deux

The Pope of Greenwich Village
Reaction score
Three P5 jobs open and we're only three games into the season. Why?
I maybe get firing a guy this early if he's just a toxic dumpster fire but, like, is Ga. Tech really that? Mostly all you're doing is giving up on a season and putting your program in limbo for months.
The sooner you can publicly start your search, be it in the open or via back channels, you do it. Why wait? Get the buyout started, start looking for your new guy and get ahead of the pack now while it is still very early.

It's 2022. This is how it's going to be done moving forward. The hot seat is that much hotter. You may not make it to October if you can't turn things around.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Stoops or Pittman to a Nebraska makes the most sense to me
Does Nebraska make sense to Stoops or Pittman though?
Why leave a good (and in both cases relatively low-expectations) SEC gig for a program that thinks it's a much bigger deal than it actually is?

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Does Nebraska make sense to Stoops or Pittman though?
Why leave a good (and in both cases relatively low-expectations) SEC gig for a program that thinks it's a much bigger deal than it actually is?
Money? Ego? We've asked that question for years on multiple occasions right?

Nebraska has to at least reach out to these guys. It makes complete sense for them to start there. Campbell, Fickell, Stoops, Pittman all have the ability to say no. They have in the recent past.

irishff1014

Reaction score
Saw a few things on Twitter the rumors are starting about Deion Sanders going to ASU.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham's name is getting mentioned quite a bit.

I am going to show self restraint and not mention a certain QB recruit.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
The king of failing upwards. Don't think he's had a successful offense since Memphis.
Yeah, from what I've looked at and read of him, I am indifferent about him at best.

Arizona State needs someone with HC experience. I really think Harsin would do well there.

Dale

Reaction score

Campbell and Leipold face each other next week in the Nebraska Coaching Search Bowl. Iowa State a big game vs Baylor this week while KU has Duke. One of them 5-0 after 5 weeks? Then have TCU and Kansas State, do I hear a 6-0 for either?

Unlikely but not ridiculous.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
The king of failing upwards. Don't think he's had a successful offense since Memphis.
He’s only 32 and has roots in the area from when he coached at Chapparal & volunteered at ASU but that only gets you so far. They should’ve tabbed Napier instead of Edwards.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
i mean i guess from a historically perspective nebraska > iowa st. but just seems like a very lateral move in todays current environment.

drayer54

Reaction score
i mean i guess from a historically perspective nebraska > iowa st. but just seems like a very lateral move in todays current environment.
The expectations are nowhere close to the same. Money and facilities aren't either. ISU is a launch pad to a good gig or the Sun Belt. Nebraska is a launch pad to Congress and your own highway or a coaching career reset.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Matt Campbell, to me, is Frank Beamer or Bill Snyder. He could be really good but not great at one non blue blooded place for a long long time. I think the minute that guy leaves Iowa State his arrow is going to go down in a hurry. You don't go to a place like that where they had zero success for so long, turn it around 180 degrees and then expect to just replicate that success anywhere.

Nebraska should absolutely call him and he could absolutely say no, and I don't think I'd blame him.

Tom Osbourne is their standard, and nobody is getting close to that bar. Bo Pelini has been gone so long now it feels like 50 years. None of that is Campbell's problem unless he wants it to be.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Matt Campbell, to me, is Frank Beamer or Bill Snyder. He could be really good but not great at one non blue blooded place for a long long time. I think the minute that guy leaves Iowa State his arrow is going to go down in a hurry. You don't go to a place like that where they had zero success for so long, turn it around 180 degrees and then expect to just replicate that success anywhere.

Nebraska should absolutely call him and he could absolutely say no, and I don't think I'd blame him.

Tom Osbourne is their standard, and nobody is getting close to that bar. Bo Pelini has been gone so long now it feels like 50 years. None of that is Campbell's problem unless he wants it to be.
Yep. Nebraska would be a trap for Campbell. Many of the same geographic/recruiting limitations as Iowa State with far higher expectations. At least at Iowa State he can really compete for conference titles now.
Would really only see him leaving for one of the Big Four Midwestern Jobs (Notre Dame/Michigan/Ohio State/Penn State), and given the notable lack of enthusiasm for him when our job opened up last year I'm not sure that ever happens.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
Yep. Nebraska would be a trap for Campbell. Many of the same geographic/recruiting limitations as Iowa State with far higher expectations. At least at Iowa State he can really compete for conference titles now.
Would really only see him leaving for one of the Big Four Midwestern Jobs (Notre Dame/Michigan/Ohio State/Penn State), and given the notable lack of enthusiasm for him when our job opened up last year I'm not sure that ever happens.
I think that is because everybody wanted Freeman to be given the job. If there was no Freeman, I think Campbell might have been a front runner to land it.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
Campbell's Iowa State team was 9-3 in 2020 and everybody was pumping them up to break through in 2021 because of all the talent they returned. They started the year ranked #7 in the AP poll and proceeded to turn in a disappointing 7-5 season.

I think Fickell would have been the choice if Cincinnati hadn't made the CFP.

Dale

Reaction score
People talk about Campbell like he has a special affinity for Iowa State or has already been there a long time. He’s only been there since 2016 and has no special link to Iowa State. He pieced together some nice players right before signing day in the 2016 class, had his 2017 class and 2018 classes who were the foundation and most graduated, few still there now. So really he’s only been at Iowa State for one cycle of “his guys”. If he can win this year with most of those foundational pieces gone, it’d be very impressive, and it’d think he’s more inclined to go now that Kolar and others are gone.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Campbell's Iowa State team was 9-3 in 2020 and everybody was pumping them up to break through in 2021 because of all the talent they returned. They started the year ranked #7 in the AP poll and proceeded to turn in a disappointing 7-5 season.

I think Fickell would have been the choice if Cincinnati hadn't made the CFP.
Agreed. Take Freeman out of the picture and I think Campbell would have been in the mix for our job, but I don't think he'd have been the front-runner, nor gotten it in the end. He's solid but just not that exciting.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
The Midwestern Big Four don't appear to be opening soon unless Day and or Harbaugh go to the NFL, and Harbaugh already made a meal of that earlier this year. I don't know what kind of looks Campbell would get from the NFL, if any, but he's probably going to have to make a move soon while he is still in demand and getting Iowa State to bowl games yearly.

Thought he did a great job at Toledo, thought he was nuts for taking the Iowa State job, but he's managed to do well there by their standards. That being said, his best season at Iowa State was 9-3 in 2020, the year the entire planet was slightly off kilter a tad bit. He's 31-23 in the Big 12. At $4M a year, he's not going to come cheap for the next job he takes if he's in demand.

Transitive process suggests that if he went to a bigger program with a better brand and better resources, he should be able to succeed. He's done that once already. I think he is the kind of coach whose way is going to work at places like Toledo and Iowa State, whereas a bigger program would want to take the chance on Fickell or Fleck or even get Rhule coming out of the NFL.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
The expectations are nowhere close to the same. Money and facilities aren't either. ISU is a launch pad to a good gig or the Sun Belt. Nebraska is a launch pad to Congress and your own highway or a coaching career reset.
Correct. ISU is the better program “now” but Nebraska has the higher season & much better resources. Look no further than B1G > B12