2020 Coaching carousel

FDNYIrish1

’ll be at the Irsay YMCA from 12:30-2:30
Reaction score
That Big 10 tv contract is what made Frosts buyout easier to accept. That moneys a windfall to the lower half.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
That Big 10 tv contract is what made Frosts buyout easier to accept. That moneys a windfall to the lower half.
And it’s what makes the Nebraska job more attractive than the ISU job for Matt Campbell. Yes, he’s got a better program right now but the B12 just lost their 2 blue bloods and won’t receive anywhere near the TV money that the B1G teams get.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
AnM boosters allegedly paid 30 million for a fucking recruiting class. 90 million to flush Jimbo, hire Urban and instantly become a contender is a relative bargain.

Jiggafini19Deux

The Pope of Greenwich Village
Reaction score
You'd think these schools could find better use of their TV money than firing coaches a week after Labor Day.

Knowing American sports culture, I would bet we have not seen the last of Urban Meyer. If he wants another job, chances are someone is going to give him one. The wins, revenue and glory he would likely generate are more than enough to look past his history and flaws.

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
It was all about how a huge number of Frost's recruits from each signing class left via the transfer portal before ever contributing much, if anything. Basically poor talent evaluation & development, and a failure to build the right culture surrounding the program. Gave little to no insight as to why, though.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
It was all about how a huge number of Frost's recruits from each signing class left via the transfer portal before ever contributing much, if anything. Basically poor talent evaluation & development, and a failure to build the right culture surrounding the program. Gave little to no insight as to why, though.
winning tends to build "good culture"

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
It truly is crazy to look back in hindsight and wonder how things could have played out differently.

If Dino Babers winds up at UCF, Scott Frost probably never winds up at Nebraska.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Tennessee and Josh Heupel agreed to a one-year contract extension that will keep the coach in Knoxville through 2028. The new deal also increases Heupel’s salary from $4 million to $5 million and includes raises for his staff.
I guess that big win against Pitt rubbed some people right.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
No and No.
Agree w/those who say Meyer will take the job that gives him quickest/easiest road to winning and is willing to ignore past indiscretions in exchange for football relevance.
Michigan, with their self-imposed rules and standards, ain’t that. Neither is Nebraska with its crappy recruiting turf.
He’ll resurface at a second-tier SEC school (Auburn?), a Texas Big 12 or someplace like Arizona State.

A call from Tempe on line 2, Mr. Meyer…

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
A call from Tempe on line 2, Mr. Meyer…
Dan Patrick mentioned Urban Liar's name this morning. Edwards gets fired for some shady practices and ASU is willing to call the King of Shady? Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score

Dennis Dodd, however, Tweeted on Saturday that Nebraska contacted him. Fox was in Lincoln this past weekend for their Game Day Show.

He could easily come out and say publicly he's not going to coach again, but I doubt that happens.

Nebraska has to go hard for Campbell, Fickell or Mark Stoops. Makes the most sense at this point.

SoIll

Licensed to Ill
Reaction score
When/ If Tommy moves on. Call up my guy, Nick Hill from SO ILL and let him run the offense and QBs. Dudes a savant.

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
When/ If Tommy moves on. Call up my guy, Nick Hill from SO ILL and let him run the offense and QBs. Dudes a savant.

Interesting option. I just can't help but get excited thinking about what Warren Ruggiero could do with a guy like Buchner, and Pyne for that matter. IMO he is a offensive genius .

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
Dan Patrick mentioned Urban Liar's name this morning. Edwards gets fired for some shady practices and ASU is willing to call the King of Shady? Out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Shady isn't nearly as unpalatable to most programs if you're winning.

NDohio

Reaction score

Dennis Dodd, however, Tweeted on Saturday that Nebraska contacted him. Fox was in Lincoln this past weekend for their Game Day Show.

He could easily come out and say publicly he's not going to coach again, but I doubt that happens.

Nebraska has to go hard for Campbell, Fickell or Mark Stoops. Makes the most sense at this point.

The fire Matt Ruhle rumors here in Charlotte are getting really strong. I think he would be a great hire for Nebraska

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
The fire Matt Ruhle rumors here in Charlotte are getting really strong. I think he would be a great hire for Nebraska
Agreed (I also think he would've been a great hire for us last year). Same old problem with NFL guys though, by the time they're unemployed the college hiring cycle, and recruiting cycle, is basically over. Does Nebraska want to wait until January?

NDohio

Reaction score
Agreed (I also think he would've been a great hire for us last year). Same old problem with NFL guys though, by the time they're unemployed the college hiring cycle, and recruiting cycle, is basically over. Does Nebraska want to wait until January?
I don't think Rhule makes it through the NFL season.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Shady isn't nearly as unpalatable to most programs if you're winning.
There's always someone that will take the chance, but after UF, then OSU and Jax, he's established a pattern. No one can say they didn't see it coming.

Last edited:

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
There's always someone that will take the chance, but after UF, then OSU and Jax, he's established a pattern. No know can say they didn't see it coming.
That might scare off Nebraska but I can't imagine Arizona State would much care, if they thought Urban's the one who could finally awaken their "sleeping giant" of a program. Only ethical concern might be if they're already in too much hot water w/the NCAA as it is.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
I keep forgetting about him.

Honestly Rhule to Nebraska and Harsin to Arizona State make the most sense. Both are currently employed but most likely to get fired. Harsin is such a bad fit at Auburn and Boise State went 7-5 without him last year. I think he'd do well at Arizona State.

Rhule's work at Temple and Baylor speaks volumes. His staff hires would be interesting.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
Nebraska fans wouldn't settle for Rhule though. He's not a splash hire that's going to reinvigorate the fanbase. They need somebody with a bit of spark about them

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Geoff Collins expected to part ways with Georgia Tech before this weekend. OC Chip Long is the interim coach.

This has to be where Coastal Carolina's Jamey Chadwell ends up, right?

Nebraska: Matt Rhule
Arizona State: Brian Harsin
Georgia Tech: Jamey Chadwell
Auburn: Hugh Freeze