2020-21 NFL Season

Legacy

Reaction score
Chiefs lock up Patrick Mahomes through 2031 with massive extension

The Chiefs and Super Bowl MVP quarterback Patrick Mahomes have reached agreement on a 10-year contract extension that ties him to Kansas City through the 2031 season, the team announced Monday.

League sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter that the deal is worth $450 million over the 10-year period and could be worth up to $503 million. The extension includes a $140 million injury guarantee, as well as a no-trade clause.

MAHOMES: “Chiefs Kingdom, you’ve been with me since the beginning, from rookie year, to becoming a starter, to the unconventional, to doing whatever it takes to win, to showdowns. You helped me come back from injury, you helped us come back from deficits, multiple deficits. You helped us overcome adversity to become Super Bowl champions, and we’re staying together for a long time. We’re chasing a dynasty.”

Last edited:

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score
43885a520218e46d172cbd0fbd8260d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

irishff1014

Reaction score
Chiefs lock up Patrick Mahomes through 2031 with massive extension

MAHOMES: “Chiefs Kingdom, you’ve been with me since the beginning, from rookie year, to becoming a starter, to the unconventional, to doing whatever it takes to win, to showdowns. You helped me come back from injury, you helped us come back from deficits, multiple deficits. You helped us overcome adversity to become Super Bowl champions, and we’re staying together for a long time. We’re chasing a dynasty.”

One thing we all know is this contract is going to be a failure.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
One thing we all know is this contract is going to be a failure.

If he stays healthy, why? As long as Andy Reid is coach there that offense will be humming regardless of his weapons or line. And what are we calling failure? No Super Bowls? Only one? I’d argue one more super bowl is worth it.

irishff1014

Reaction score
One the likely hood he stays healthy is incredibly doubtful. Two they won’t be able to pay multiple big stars to make the team better. He is a good QB but he has proven to be worth the best contract in the NFL.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin'
Reaction score
If he stays healthy, why? As long as Andy Reid is coach there that offense will be humming regardless of his weapons or line. And what are we calling failure? No Super Bowls? Only one? I’d argue one more super bowl is worth it.

Not sure I agree 100%, there is certainly risk to this contract. Take GB and Aaron Rodgers; they spent a TON of money (especially at the time) on #12 and have to be very frugal in FA every off-season as a result. Have to rely way more on the draft year in and year out, have to be highly selective at retaining your studs after their rookie contracts when they know they can get big $$$ on the market, etc.

There was once upon a time when AR looked like he was unstoppable regardless of who his weapons were. One SB (ten years ago!) later to show for it, and I think you can say the Packers wasted that talent, and a lot of it had more to do with the front office than #12.

All that said, I do truly believe that Mahomes has already surpassed Rodgers, even in his prime. Not necessarily by much, but his peak-ceiling is already looking much higher than Aaron's ever was.

ACamp1900

Man of Culture
Reaction score
If I had to bet between KC regretting this contract or sleeping very well with it in ~8 years I’d bet they’ll regret it. You have to figure it’ll be hard to keep any key vets in place or add many impact FAs over the course of things. Who knows tho, maybe a new CBA will make it not even matter as much,.. hard to tell. These mega contracts tend to not work as well in the more team oriented sports however.

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score
2020-21 NFL Season

There was an article I read earlier today about how hard it is for a team to win it all again after the QB gets paid his due.

Steve Young was the highest paid QB to ever win a SB, at 13.1% of his teams cap. Mahomes will come in over 20%.

Dont care. IMO hes worth it.

*the average cap space eaten by a SB winning QB is 6.4%

Last edited:

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score
There was an article I read earlier today about how hard it is for a team to win it all again after the QB gets paid his due.

Steve Young was the highest paid QB to ever win a SB, at 13.1% of his teams cap. Mahomes will come in over 20%.

Dont care. IMO hes worth it.

*the average cap space eaten by a SB winning QB is 6.4%

I thought Mahomes was locked in at roughly 15% of the cap

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
The length of the contract makes it a dicey bet already, but as pointed out already, it's going to be tough to retain your best players. Drafting late every year, your GM needs to nail a couple of surprises every couple of years.

Irish YJ

Southsida
Reaction score
The length of the contract makes it a dicey bet already, but as pointed out already, it's going to be tough to retain your best players. Drafting late every year, your GM needs to nail a couple of surprises every couple of years.

Yup. The GM is going to be key for this team. Good drafting, smart FA pick ups.

Blazers46

Reaction score
By year 5 Mahommes contract could be surpassed by other QB signings and be seen as a good deal for the Chiefs.

Legacy

Reaction score
The deadline for players and franchise-tagged players and teams to reach a deal passed.

Here's the full list of players who will spend 2020 under the franchise tag in 2020:
- Dak Prescott - Dallas
- AJ Green - Cincinnati
- Hunter Henry - LA Chargers
- Brandon Scherff - Washington
- Joe Thuney - New England
- Matt Judon - Baltimore
- Yannick Ngakoue - Jacksonville
- Leonard Williams - NY Giants
- Bud Dupree - Pittsburgh
- Shaq Barrett - Tampa Bay
- Justin Simmons - Denver
- Anthony Harris - Minnesota

Two franchise-tagged players reached deals with their teams just before the deadline

The KC Chiefs reached a deal with Chris Jones, DT, to 4-year extension worth $85M. Chris Jones base average per year will be $20M, $37M guaranteed at signing, $60M in guaranteed money upon injury with $5M incentives.

The Tenn Titans signed Derrick Henry, RB to a four year contract worth $50 million with $25.5 million guaranteed on his new deal.

Also, the Cleveland Browns signed Myles Garrett to a five-year contract extension through 2026 worth $125 million and his new-money average of $25 million a year is the highest for a non-QB. Garrett was not franchise-tagged since he had two years remaining on his rookie contract.

2020 NFL Extensions

Last edited:

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers have announced no fans at training camp or preseason games.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
So we just gonna ignore that Washington has a massive scandal about to be dropped on Dan Snyder and the team?

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This will be a story about how the front office for the past 10 years has hidden and protected men in the building against sexual assault and harassment allegations and legal action. Look at recent firings and retirings if you need specific names, but they'll be out soon (cont)</p>— Harrison Weinhold (@RadioHarrison) <a href="https://twitter.com/RadioHarrison/status/1283609989169512449?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 16, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Redskins front office been doing a Fox News behind the scenes

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
Interesting how different all the sources are on this. Some of what I'm hearing is off field assault stuff, but I'm also seeing things that Redskins ownership has been paying refs.

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting how different all the sources are on this. Some of what I'm hearing is off field assault stuff, but I'm also seeing things that Redskins ownership has been paying refs.

Supposedly other teams too.

Also read that Gruden wasn't playing Bibbs the game Alex Smith broke his leg because he found out they were sleeping with same woman. Bibbs backup missed the block that hurt Alex

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
Supposedly other teams too.

Also read that Gruden wasn't playing Bibbs the game Alex Smith broke his leg because he found out they were sleeping with same woman. Bibbs backup missed the block that hurt Alex

Yeah, I heard that too. That's gets a bit of a "meh" from me compared to the other allegations. It's unfortunate for Smith, and obviously the surrounding circumstances are scandalous, but players get benched all the time for dumb stuff and you trust that the 2nd stringer can do a competent job. It's hard to seriously draw a direct correlation between a 2nd stringer coming in on a play and a QB being horribly injured.

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard that too. That's gets a bit of a "meh" from me compared to the other allegations. It's unfortunate for Smith, and obviously the surrounding circumstances are scandalous, but players get benched all the time for dumb stuff and you trust that the 2nd stringer can do a competent job. It's hard to seriously draw a direct correlation between a 2nd stringer coming in on a play and a QB being horribly injured.

I didn't mean to imply it as serious allegation just crazy how life decisions play out.

Some of the cheerleader stuff I've read would be very serious, however in the #metoo world it seems this all would've came out already

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
so NFL is botching the hopes for a season and def does look like things will be starting on time.

Two teams were supposed to report to camp today I believe with the rest next monday and the league doesnt even have a agreed upon testing protocol.

irishff1014

Reaction score
The NFL front office is flaming dumpster fire right now. With the new black anthem and now they are going to let players put names on the back of the helmet of “injustice”.

Last year Dallas wanted to support the Dallas police Dept after they had multiple officers killed and were told no. Multiple players wanted to wear 9/11 cleats and were told they would be fined. Numerous players have worn cleats I. Support of certain things and were fined. A study shows that the nfl in 2019 is 70% black. So it’s clear all the money from play and endorsements that they are clearly no oppressed. And how many of those players help their own cities? The nfl needs more Warrick Dunn’s. Oh and Dree Bree’s that has done nothing but help that shot hole New Orleans only to get bashed.

I hope our irish player have a good seasons individually but over all I hope the nfl has a terrible and has to make dramatic changes that cost them hundreds of millions of dollars.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Did we ever talk about how a surprising amount of NFL players appear to be anti-semites?