'20 NE WR Xavier Watts (Notre Dame Signee)

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We get 1 Kyle Hamilton and now all our safties on the roster are future NFLers.
To be fair, isn't there a difference between Kyle Hamilton, first round draft pick, and 20-30 other S's that are drafted every year? I mean, I think it's very likely that we have some NFL S's on this roster but those might be 5th and 6th round NFL picks in 2-3 years.

irishff1014

Reaction score
It's actually pretty fitting when you think about the fact that he was moved to safety because of the staffs and ability to properly recruit that position as well LOL

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Mostly former staff ability to recruit.

Dale

Reaction score
He’s both a third stringer and yet a near lock to start next year at the same time at safety. Weird spot to be in. At WR, he’s stuck in this middle area where it’s unlikely he gets significant PT but yet unlikely he’ll just ride the bench, barring another injury.

Rare case where we actually do see him try to play both ways (+ ST)?

ulukinatme

Powlus for QB 2023!
Reaction score
Is there any reason to think he can't play both positions? Obviously he's not taking every snap on offense, but Adoree did it for USC and occasionally lined up at WR.

NDpendent

Reaction score
Question? So I think Thomas was a better fit as a starter then Avery Davis and would eventually replace him during the season. Xavier looked pretty sick on film in HS at WR. Do you all think the WR core as a whole is better replacing Avery Davis for Xavier?

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
To be fair, isn't there a difference between Kyle Hamilton, first round draft pick, and 20-30 other S's that are drafted every year? I mean, I think it's very likely that we have some NFL S's on this roster but those might be 5th and 6th round NFL picks in 2-3 years.
Joseph is projected to be one of, if not, the first safety taken in next year's draft. Very possible he ends up being a 1st.

Too early to tell on guys like Henderson or Walters.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Question? So I think Thomas was a better fit as a starter then Avery Davis and would eventually replace him during the season. Xavier looked pretty sick on film in HS at WR. Do you all think the WR core as a whole is better replacing Avery Davis for Xavier?
Highly doubtful.

I think Thomas is going to prove to be a very good receiver for us, and I can see him being better than Davis. However, I don't think we needed to choose between the two. We could've had both Davis and Thomas both line up, with Styles and rotate Meriweather, Wilkins and Colzie in as needed.

I just don't know what we're getting with Watts back at receiver. He may end up surprising, but I can't imagine they'd have been so quick to move him to defense if he was making noise at receiver last year. Now he's being thrust into receiver after spending almost a year at LB/S.

ulukinatme

Powlus for QB 2023!
Reaction score
I never saw Xavier's WR film, but it could be apples to oranges. Is he a better route runner? Does he have better hands? I know one thing is for sure, Avery had great acceleration and got upfield in a hurry once he got the ball.

NDpendent

Reaction score
So followup question is who are the starters at Boundary, Field and Slot for everyone?

fightingirish26

Reaction score
Highly doubtful.

I think Thomas is going to prove to be a very good receiver for us, and I can see him being better than Davis. However, I don't think we needed to choose between the two. We could've had both Davis and Thomas both line up, with Styles and rotate Meriweather, Wilkins and Colzie in as needed.

I just don't know what we're getting with Watts back at receiver. He may end up surprising, but I can't imagine they'd have been so quick to move him to defense if he was making noise at receiver last year. Now he's being thrust into receiver after spending almost a year at LB/S.
If Jayden Thomas is better right now than Davis was last season, I'd be thrilled (and shocked).

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
I never saw Xavier's WR film, but it could be apples to oranges. Is he a better route runner? Does he have better hands? I know one thing is for sure, Avery had great acceleration and got upfield in a hurry once he got the ball.
"I've never watched Xavier play... But I'll going to start speculating anyway"

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
If Jayden Thomas is better right now than Davis was last season, I'd be thrilled (and shocked).
I wouldn't really be that shocked.

Thomas is built like a truck for a receiver and can move really well. But on top of that, he's been allowed to develop and get coached up at the receiver spot, while Davis has had to flip flop from like 4 different positions over his first 4 years.

While Davis was a 5th year in '21, it was still only his 2nd full year at receiver.

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
Watts honestly is a stud. I hope he gets lots of burn next year.