'20 NE WR Xavier Watts (Notre Dame Signee)

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I should've add that BK compared what they're putting him through comparable to a pre-season camp for him. Which is what I expected them to do with one of the young DB's to get them up to speed for next season. Excited that it's Watts and to see what he can do. Pretty clear they're targeting a big role for him next season.

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
Watts needs to be a SS next year when our LB depth returns. Think he might have a NFL future their wit his size / athleticism / ball skills. Really impressed with how physical he is for a mid-season converted WR.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Despite Watts seemingly coming along nicely on defense, is there any merit to switching him back to WR in the event that we have some serious turnover at the WR position, both with present roster (Lenzy/Austin/Wilkins could seemingly all move on) and the state of WR recruiting (Walker/CJW flip watch)? Curious to see what you guys think.

NDIrish88

Reaction score
Despite Watts seemingly coming along nicely on defense, is there any merit to switching him back to WR in the event that we have some serious turnover at the WR position, both with present roster (Lenzy/Austin/Wilkins could seemingly all move on) and the state of WR recruiting (Walker/CJW flip watch)? Curious to see what you guys think.

Prister answered this in a tweet. Pretty clear he stays at Safety.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
Prister answered this in a tweet. Pretty clear he stays at Safety.

Thanks NDI88, I missed that. Pretty interesting if that's how it plays out, wonder what held him up at WR for so long.

Here's to hoping we keep a few of our vets and hold on to our current recruits.

stpeteirish

Reaction score
Watts is going to prove to be a huge upgrade over Griffith at safety next year. He really comes up and makes tackles in space way better than HG.

Does need some experience tho. He took a bad angle on Yurosek's long TD.

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Reaction score
I think he has a higher upside on defense. We should have never been in this position with our receiving corps.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Seems somewhat obvious Watts has the instincts and demeanor to be a high level safety, and I'm not sure he can be anymore more than an average receiver. Even if their numbers at receiver are bad, I'm not sure you trade 60 reps of high level play at safety for 30 reps of mediocre play at WR. I could be completely wrong in my assessment so who the hell knows.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Came in at #42 in II’s Counting Down the Irish series.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
I think he has a better chance at more playing time as WR he was dynamic in highschool there is no reason why he shouldn't see the field a lot this year. I like this move for depth purposes

Dale

Reaction score
I think he has a better chance at more playing time as WR he was dynamic in highschool there is no reason why he shouldn't see the field a lot this year. I like this move for depth purposes

This year but he’s a near lock by default to start or be the third safety at worst in 2023 by staying there. If Joseph bounces it’s only Walters, Watts and Henderson.

I guess we locked up Peyton Bowen.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
Well Avery sacrificed a lot by switching positions multiple times. I’m sure this was laid out to Xavier. Team > Individual

While these kids should be supported in their efforts to fulfill an NFL dream, they really need to see the reality that it’s a minuscule chance for even the best of them. Career threatening injuries happen every year (ask Avery Davis), so while you still work towards your dream of becoming an NFL player, also work on what eventually will be your reality and use your institution the same way they are utilizing you. Take them for the bachelors & masters degree, the elite strength & conditioning, the connections, the training table, the internships. USE THEM b/c they’re damn sure using you.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
Poor guy. The staff’s inability to properly recruit the position has basically ruined any kind of NFL opportunity for him.
It's actually pretty fitting when you think about the fact that he was moved to safety because of the staffs and ability to properly recruit that position as well LOL

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
Poor guy. The staff’s inability to properly recruit the position has basically ruined any kind of NFL opportunity for him.
This 100%
Speaks volumes to the character of the kid to do what's best for the team. I really hope he can be productive at WR and what gives me at least a glimmer of hope it's fucking del isn't his position coach anymore.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
Not saying I don't understand the frustration with potentially wasting talent, but I feel like a potential NFL safety/anything would maybe be expected to get some playing time his junior year. From what I've read, he probably isn't cracking the rotation at either position and was only expected to contribute on special teams either way.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully he gets a legitimate shot at PT. Otherwise, put me in the camp that thinks this sucks big time for the young man.

We had time to go after 2022 WR's at the end of last cycle. We were told transfers were the route to go. We didn't sign any transfers and were told we have the guys to do this. Del also sucked big time but this is piss poor roster management from the coaches still here.