'11 SC QB Everett Golson (FSU transfer)

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
Obviously I'm biased, but it just seems like since joining FSU, Everett has not had nearly the same level of national attention as he did at ND.

NDgradstudent

Banned
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With Paxton Lynch's INT vs Ole Miss, FSU's Everett Golson has the most action plays among FBS QBs without a turnover at 240 plays.</p>— Jared Shanker (@JShankerESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JShankerESPN/status/655868885212659712">October 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
What else would we expect?

wizards8507

Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">With Paxton Lynch's INT vs Ole Miss, FSU's Everett Golson has the most action plays among FBS QBs without a turnover at 240 plays.</p>— Jared Shanker (@JShankerESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/JShankerESPN/status/655868885212659712">October 18, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
What else would we expect?
What's an action play? Everything besides a kneel?

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Yeah, I would be curious what the "expert" say in the article. Is Golson better at FSU? In the turnover department, sure, but from a production standpoint not at all. He doesn't have to make plays with his legs, and he's not throwing near as often.

JD Irish

Reaction score
I just hate the way they are using him. He is a phenomenal talent and a playmaker. If all they wanted was a game manager, I don't see why they would even take him or why McGuire wouldn't be better for that role. No love lost for Golson either, he played poorly at the end of his time here, had a poor demeanor, and then bailed on the team.

NDRock

Reaction score
I just hate the way they are using him. He is a phenomenal talent and a playmaker. If all they wanted was a game manager, I don't see why they would even take him or why McGuire wouldn't be better for that role. No love lost for Golson either, he played poorly at the end of his time here, had a poor demeanor, and then bailed on the team.

We'll see. They haven't needed him to be a playmaker yet but that will change when they play Clemson and UF. I think it's smart letting him learn the offense and get his confidence before he's needed to really make plays.

johnnycando

Frosted Tips
Reaction score
The kid bailed when the going got tough.

Hate to say it, but we are better off boys.

The weak and bad weed themselves out eventually through natural selection.

Not to get all Darwinian and all. (Good correction Bogs.)

Last edited:

Junkhead

Community Mod
Reaction score
I'm still torn on him. Hated his attitude after all his TO's, but he is an ND grad, right? hmm... Still nice to see FSU lose to a team ND beat this season.

Irish YJ

Southsida
Reaction score
I cheered for EG tonight, but in no way did I want FSU to win. The place was crazy after the TD. Had FSU fans sitting next to me and in back of me. Their tears were so delicious.

Last edited:

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
I stopped cheering for him the day he ditched the team. That said, I don't get all the hate. He threw a pick - big deal. FSU lost - THAT is what we should be celebrating.

IrishinSyria

In truth lies victory
Reaction score
I stopped cheering for him the day he ditched the team. That said, I don't get all the hate. He threw a pick - big deal. FSU lost - THAT is what we should be celebrating.

Eh, he graduated from ND. You and I have no idea what was said to him behind closed doors, Kelly may have made it very clear that transferring was the best move for Golson to make. He's an ND grad, he played a key role on a team that played in a National Championship game, and I'm going to cheer for him for as long as he continues to play football.

I don't see how people can possibly say that he choked here or didn't show up. He hit his receiver in the chest in the end zone on the pick and then he drove his team into field goal range before the block. I'd say he made a couple of hugely clutch plays and also got unlucky, which is exactly what I remember from EG while he was at ND. That being said, it definitely helps ND that FSU lost, so I'm not upset about what happened.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vL0rU67MjQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Irish YJ

Southsida
Reaction score
Eh, he graduated from ND. You and I have no idea what was said to him behind closed doors, Kelly may have made it very clear that transferring was the best move for Golson to make. He's an ND grad, he played a key role on a team that played in a National Championship game, and I'm going to cheer for him for as long as he continues to play football.

I don't see how people can possibly say that he choked here or didn't show up. He hit his receiver in the chest in the end zone on the pick and then he drove his team into field goal range before the block. I'd say he made a couple of hugely clutch plays and also got unlucky, which is exactly what I remember from EG while he was at ND. That being said, it definitely helps ND that FSU lost, so I'm not upset about what happened.

Yup, and yup. He's an ND grad, and will always be Irish. His WRs tonight dropped several, and could have helped him a lot more. He did his job. Still loving the GT victory!!!

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vL0rU67MjQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Meh. That catch by Koyack was great and all, but we shouldn't have needed to make a last second drive to begin with. Much like the 2012 Pitt game, Golson's inconsistency is what prompted that drive. His role on the 2012 team could have been performed by Tommy with that defense behind him. Tommy faced some of the strongest defenses, either in mop up duty or the full game that season, and we still won.

I can tell you this, Kelly absolutely did not tell Golson to pack his bags and leave. Golson was shopping his services in the Spring, and when he made the decision to leave he didn't even notify Kelly, the players found out and had to tell BK. Kelly was under the impression he was coming back, and from what most people said in the Spring it looked like Golson was performing well. Golson's exit was shady, and I think it would have been a lot cleaner if he was at least up front about everything during that time. It's clear he has NFL aspirations, and he didn't feel he'd get there staying Irish so he left. I don't think he's necessarily hurt his draft stock any more than the turnovers provided, but he certainly doesn't have people's attention like he did at ND. Kelly most certainly would have split reps with Golson this season, and obviously he would have taken over full time if Zaire had gotten injured still. Golson did more harm than good by coming back. He played a big part in at least a few losses last season, and it could have been a season to give Zaire more experience, not to mention get Zaire more snaps in the Spring. So, not only did Golson hurt our depth at QB by taking off, but he hurt the progression by coming back at all.

The kid was a great athlete, but he wasn't really that great of a QB. He wasn't mentally tough enough to play QB at ND, and that was a big reason he got benched at the end of last season. He didn't want to fight for his position, and he continued to make the same mistakes numerous times, then waved Kelly off when he would come off the field. He fouled up things for the team in a big way. Kelly put his trust in Golson to be the QB and the leader in 2012, Golson then screwed up forcing us to put Tommy in for 2013, and then he came back to make a mess in a bunch of games last year before bolting. Depending on how you look at it, we were counting on him being the starter for 2-3 seasons after 2012 and he ended up screwing us in one way or another in each of those seasons. Good riddance. Look at it this way, he got his degree, which is commendable...(And also a requirement to pull off a 5th year transfer), but the move he made was a selfish one. Is he entitled to it? Absolutely, but this isn't like it was Dayne Crist who came in highly recruited and never made it through a full season. Golson had 2 full seasons to show his stuff and the NFL wasn't convinced yet. Dayne stood to gain a lot by getting a fresh start. Golson went from Heisman list and national spotlight to supporting character in the Cook show.

I honestly don't think he's NFL material. Scouts will say he's too short, for one, and not thick enough to take the beatings. He's never been great going through his progressions. He's still basically a more accurate, less mobile Denard Robinson. I'm sure a team will still take a chance on him, somebody still picked up Denard, but he doesn't have the same speed to fall back on. For that reason I think he would have been bettered served either fighting for his position or splitting reps this year. In any case, if he was splitting reps, he still would be averaging 20-25 passes a game likely which would be consistent with what he has at FSU. As it is, I don't think he goes before the 4th round, and it's more likely he goes much later, if at all.

jcun

Reaction score
"He didn't want to fight for his position, and he continued to make the same mistakes numerous times, then waved Kelly off when he would come off the field."

I've been a fan of ND since my folks plopped my toddler ass in front of the TV in 1973. EG is the only player I can ever remember that I just could not root for, and it's because of what you just pointed out here. So many times EG ignored Kelly when coming off the field after a mistake. It was infuriating to watch. I do not miss that kid.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
"He didn't want to fight for his position, and he continued to make the same mistakes numerous times, then waved Kelly off when he would come off the field."

I've been a fan of ND since my folks plopped my toddler ass in front of the TV in 1973. EG is the only player I can ever remember that I just could not root for, and it's because of what you just pointed out here. So many times EG ignored Kelly when coming off the field after a mistake. It was infuriating to watch. I do not miss that kid.

He tried to do the same thing last night with Fisher. Fisher had to yank him back twice as Golson tried to do his typical "listen for two seconds and then head for the bench" routine.