'10 CA LB/Ath Anthony Barr (UCLA Commit)

SoCalDomer

Reaction score
ANTHONY BARR | Athlete, Linebacker

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=200>Los Angeles, California
Loyola

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 230 lbs
Forty: 4.55 secs
</TD><TD vAlign=top>RANKING
Rivals: :s::s::s::s:, Athlete (5), National (50), Rating 6.0
Scout: :s::s::s::s:, OLB (10)
ESPN: :s::s::s::s:, Athlete (11), National (102), Grade 81

STATISTICS | Rushing
Junior: 1890 Yds, 20 TD
</TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

COLLEGE CHOICES<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD width=125>School</TD><TD width=175>Interest</TD><TD width=50>Offer</TD><TD width=125>Visit</TD></TR><TR><TD>Notre Dame</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>10/2/2009</TD></TR><TR><TD>UCLA</TD><TD>Verbal</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>1/15/10</TD></TR><TR><TD>California</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Florida State</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Michigan</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Oregon</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Stanford</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Tennessee</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>USC</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR><TR><TD>Washington</TD><TD>None</TD><TD>Yes</TD><TD>None</TD></TR></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ND Recruiter: Denbrock

Decision: 1/21/10 UCLA

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalDomer

Reaction score
The son of Tony Brooks and nephew of Reggie Brooks, ND will definitely have a connection to this southern california standout.

He plans on taking visits, though, so as always, nothing is a lock in recruiting.

NDame77

Reaction score
My roomate i have now in college played football at Loyola with Anthony and he said he's pretty good but he's a pussy. He said he'll need to toughen up to play D1

Freeman Ara

Reaction score
Does this roommate of your play D1 football? Because if he doesn't I'm not sure he's a good judge of what it takes to play D1 football.

GoIrish41

Paterfamilius
Reaction score
My roomate i have now in college played football at Loyola with Anthony and he said he's pretty good but he's a pussy. He said he'll need to toughen up to play D1

You might want to use a little better judgment than posting something like this on this board - particularly since Anthony likely reads boards like these and I'm not sure he'd appreciate your second-hand characterization of his toughness. Your roommate might be the baddest mf in the whole dorm, but unless he's getting D1 offers from all the big schools, I gotta believe that Barr is tougher than him. That makes him a HUGE puss, I guess.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
You might want to use a little better judgment than posting something like this on this board - particularly since Anthony likely reads boards like these and I'm not sure he'd appreciate your second-hand characterization of his toughness. Your roommate might be the baddest mf in the whole dorm, but unless he's getting D1 offers from all the big schools, I gotta believe that Barr is tougher than him. That makes him a HUGE puss, I guess.

and plus, when that kid knew him, Anthony was most likely a freshman....

NDame77

Reaction score
First of all, I was just passing on information i thought some might like to know. I wasn't the one judging Anthony so get off my ass about that. Second, he was a sophomore and playing varsity so he should be tough enough to hang with the big boys by now if he wants to move up in his career. And lastly, why does it matter if he got D1 offers or not??? He played with him for months and saw what he could do and also how he handled minor injuries. You don't need to be amazing at football to see that.

OCIrish

Fukk Michigan
Reaction score

Which one is it, is he pretty good or is he a pussy? One or the other, can't call a kid pretty good, then say he's a pussy.

SoCalDomer

Reaction score
First of all, I was just passing on information i thought some might like to know. I wasn't the one judging Anthony so get off my ass about that.

well the problem with posting that type of information on a web board without specifically identifying your source by name is that a recruit or his family could come on here and attirbute your 2nd hand information to ND fans, specifically this board. they then have a negative impression of ND and its fans.

the relative anonymity of the internet allows anyone to claim they have a source and post any nonsense. if you want to post that type of info, regardless of whether you're not the original source of that info, you need to be prepared for people to call you on it.

NDame77

Reaction score
He said Anthony is good when it comes to being athletic and being a productive football player, but his weakness right now is his toughness. And I don't understand how I could say my roommates name. None of you would know him obviously.

SoCalDomer

Reaction score
And I don't understand how I could say my roommates name.

are you saying you don't know his name or can't pronounce it? since i doubt either of those are the case, you just say it.

whether anyone here would know his name isn't the issue. if you want to come here and post annonymous claims about a high school kid's toughness based on comments from some unnamed source, be prepared to be called on it.

alleycat9

Reaction score
He said Anthony is good when it comes to being athletic and being a productive football player, but his weakness right now is his toughness. And I don't understand how I could say my roommates name. None of you would know him obviously.

if you had simply said it this way in the first post i dont think you would getting the grief you are now.

i would suggest you go back and edit the first post and copy paste what i quoted above and then all will be well. i dont think it would be much of an issue if he were to read the quoted post but the first post was definitely a very childish way to put forward information.

in addition as a sophomore he was 14 or 15 years old. now while some of us may have been tough at early ages some dont get that toughness until they get a little older. i am sure that if he is being recruited by all of these schools he has learned how to be a little tougher than your roomate claims.

then again there is always the jealousy angle...

Last edited:

daytonirish

Ian Williams 4 Heisman
Reaction score
Well I will back what the coaching staff of ND and other D1 colleges think of this young man over your roommate anyday of the week.

NDame77

Reaction score
You act like I was saying my roommate was better than Anthony, which I never once said. Plus, sophomores in highschool are around 16 years old not 14, which at that age he should be tough enough.

I

Irish 83

NDame77 just lick your wounds and move on.
Personally this kid's family pedigree alone should merit some respect from ND fans.

I really like this guy's size and hope we continue to recruit Cali with continued success.

N

nuxsoonkau

The truth

The truth

Just so all that read this know...I know Anthony very well...u could even say we are like family. There is not a "pussy" bone in his body. I have watched him play football since he was 9 years old. Every time he steps on the field, he plays hard. He plays sick; he plays hurt, he just loves too play. Last year when he had a minor shoulder separation and the team doctor told him he could not play for 4 weeks...he was devastated. He moped around the house like his dog died. All he wants to do is play. I am sure the person who "knows" him and made this comment is completely jealous. I am sure he was not a starting RB his sophomore year. Just a note...I am not a small guy...6-02, 230lbs. Anthony has always been like a little brother too me, and like brothers we have been known to get into a few friendly wrestling matches, and for all you sickos reading this I don't mean anything vulgar. Well anyways, like I was saying, during one of these matches last year Anthony a SOPHOMORE dropped his shoulder picked me up, all 230lbs of me, and proceeded to carry me around the house. I am sure you are all thinking now that I am the pussy. Trust me, I am in law enforcement and if you ask, the last couple of suspects I have fought with, they will tell you I can take care of myself. Anthony is no joke...we should all just hope he decides to go to ND! And to the unamed man...Dont hate the player..hate the game!

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
Thank you! I work down the street from Loyola, and I went to a game last year, and he looked like anything but a p**** on the field. Good luck to the kid and let's hope he makes it to ND!

Last edited:

SoCalDomer

Reaction score
welcome nuxsoonkau, and thank you for sharing that info. if you can, keep us updated with Anthony's season and recruitment.

N

nuxsoonkau

Anthony Barr Update

Anthony Barr Update

Anthony had a great game this past weekend. Loyola beat Mira Costa. Anthony had a total of 232 yards in 16 carries, with 2 TD's. For all those who aren't familiar with SoCal sports, Mira Costa, just like Loyola always has a solid team. For a junior to come up with those type of numbers is no small feat.

There is a great clip of Anthony at this link. cbs2.com - Video Library

The clip is titled "Elway watched Loyola @Mira Costa, Barr runs wild"

Anthony is #2, I really like his second 60 yard touchdown run. Watch him as he runs the MLB over like a child.

GO Anthony...GO IRISH

IrishFaninTX

Reaction score
You act like I was saying my roommate was better than Anthony, which I never once said. Plus, sophomores in highschool are around 16 years old not 14, which at that age he should be tough enough.

Actually, unless the players birthday is between September and November, he more than likely was only 15 years old as a sophomore. The only other reasons why he may have been 16 is if he had to repeat any grades or if he started school when he was 6. Either way, it doesn't really matter because 15 and 16 year old KIDS are usually not going to be as tough as they will be when they are 17 or 18.

I hope Anthony is not reading this and thinking that ND fans and alums are speaking badly of him and he will give us a chance!

N

nuxsoonkau

Anthony Barr update

Anthony Barr update

The first week of the Loyola season Loyola beat Mira Costa 23-7

Anthony assisted his team with this win by accumulating a total 232 yards in 16 carries and 2 touchdowns.

Last week Loyola again won, beating Palos Verdes High 34-0

Anthony ran for a total of 161 yards in 20 carries and scored 3 touchdowns.

There are two clips of Anthony one at this link Los Angeles Times - High School Sports

the other is here Elway Watches Loyola @ Mira Costa, Barr Runs Wild - Truveo Video Search

I especially like Anthony's second TD run....the one where he runs over the middle linebacker like a tackling dummy. WOW but I guess some would call that being a P&*^Y.........LOL

GreenGoblin

Banned
Reaction score
I see Anthony as a linebacker in college. 6'4 is massive for a running back, and an awesome size for a 3-4 linebacker. If he doesn't choose Notre Dame I will be very disappointed, how much more dominant can USC get with recruits? Spread the love Barr!

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
An L.A. Times writer was ranking the area's top players so far. AB came in tops at running back:

"Running back: 1. Anthony Barr, Los Angeles Loyola, Jr.; 2. Jordon James, Corona, Jr.; 3. Bradley Randle, Vista Murrieta, Sr. On the rise: John Lister, Thousand Oaks, Sr.

There just isn't another running back in the mold of Barr, who's 6 feet 4 and keeps churning out 100- and 200-yard games."

Football report card has Keith Price, Anthony Barr among leaders - Los Angeles Times

Also, this little article, which has nothing to do with his game really, but still interesting:

"Lori Barr, the principal at Santa Fe Springs St. Paul High, is happy that her school's colors -- blue and white -- are the same as Los Angeles Loyola's.

That's because her son, Anthony Barr, is a standout tailback for Loyola, and no one is going to be able to determine by her outfit who she is rooting for when the Cubs play the Swordsmen during a nonleague game Friday in Santa Fe Springs.

"It's business as usual around here," Lori Barr said.

But it can't be business as usual at home, right?

"When I'm home, I'm mom and he's son," she said.

And which side of the field will she be on come Friday night?

"Because I'm supervising, I will be on the side of St. Paul," she said.

Who will she root for?

"He's my son, but it's St. Paul who puts food on my table," she said.

Still, if Anthony scores four touchdowns, there probably won't be too many tears shed at the Barr house Friday night.

Either way, she can't lose - Los Angeles Times

Everybody I talk to says this guy is a beast (saw him once, wow, what a RB!). I can't see him as a 6'4" rb, but still, it would be a great get for ND...

roto-stud

italian stallion
Reaction score
Just watched the video... kid reminds me of Eric Dickerson... tall, fast, and powerful

IrishAddiction

The wa wa wa waterboy
Reaction score
The game is rapidly evolving, i dont think its a far stretch to say this kid could be a 6'4" RB. The running back at stanford was a beast and i think he was at least 6'2" or 6'3". We especially could utilize him in passing situations with that size to protect the QB and as the outlet pass out of the backfield. And just from film, it looks like he can handle himself running the ball too.

Ricochet

Reaction score
Brandon Jacobs the 2nd?
Exactly, a power-power RB. I think we get too caught up in the measurables anymore and we start thinking this guy is better then the next solely on height weight and 40 times when it has nothing to do with the player actual football ability and where his skills are best suited and that's what I think we are doing with Barr.

The more video I see of him he makes me a believer that he is a RB. Sure we see that size and speed and we say he will make an awesome LB but maybe he won't because he doesn't have that LB instinct and that his instinct is more like his father and his uncle at RB.

I want an awesome stable of RB's like USC has with all different types and IMO he would bring a different dimension than what the other RB's bring.

As a Giants fan and seeing what Brandon Jacobs does week in and week out I would more than love to see the Irish have that same type of player and let's not forget that Barr is still only a JR in HS so he's going to be anywhere from 240 to 250 lbs as he naturally fills out.

A want a monster in the backfield to go with the speed and traditional RB's that ND has.

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
Per the L.A. Times:

Anthony Barr had 216 yards in 40 carries and scored on a 68-yard touchdown run to help the Cubs (5-3) defeat No. 10 La Puente Bishop Amat, 17-6, in a Serra League opener at Glendale High.

The kid is HUGE. He looks like a lineman running the ball when he plays h.s. kids. He was hurt the week before, but he gutted out a 40-carry game. Nice.