NDu(OV 10/16), OSUu(OV 9/11), UF (OV 9/19), LSU(OV 10/10),
UM, UTN, UCLA(uvcamp '09), USC (uvcamp '09), UW(uv), ORE (uv),​

ND Recruiter: Polian, Brown​

Decision: 11/17/09 (in time for Early Enrollment) Florida

Last edited:

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
In a 5/20 IrishSportsDaily article by Steve Wiltfong that was a FREEBIE at that time, Shaw had a:

Top 7 of ND ORE UGA, USC, UCLA, UW and ORS

Yeah, I count 8 too. And actually it's probably grown since OU has since offered and undoubtedly should be in contention. Polian was in town to see him Wednesday. They've talked several time but Shaw already knew a great deal about ND. Seems he and his parents went to South Bend for Opening Day last season. His older brother played for SDS. Joshua is also a huge Bettis fan.

Notre Dame has been my favorite team ... I know if they did offer, they would jump right to the top of my list easy.

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
Also, he said that when he and his family went to the SDSU/ND game last year, that they were all blown away, and that even though his brother plays for SDSU, he was still rooting for ND. He LOVES Notre Dame.

However, he's running into a numbers problem. Of all the positions, CB looks to be the one with the most imminent commitments, in Lo Wood and Boyd, plus Riggs who is perhaps the most likely to commit after his officials. That's 3 off the top of my head, and I believe that's how many CB's we're going after this year...

IrishInFl

Back in Florida
Reaction score
It's pretty cool to have this problem. I wasn't sure how many CB we would get after getting one last recruiting season.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
... However, he's running into a numbers problem. Of all the positions, CB looks to be the one with the most imminent commitments, in Lo Wood and Boyd, plus Riggs who is perhaps the most likely to commit after his officials. That's 3 off the top of my head, and I believe that's how many CB's we're going after this year...

Those 3 look strong, then there's Kacy Rodgers with an offer who wants to visit ND, and Christian Bryant with an offer.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
Yeah our cb situation is getting interesting. Hope our Safety situation is just as loaded in the end

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
Offered today. Lots of offers out there for CB's, with lots of them very interested in ND, and it'll be interesting to see which 3 jump on board first. Shaw, being a huge ND fan and loving the campus when he came out for his brother's game last year, is one that I'm assuming has huge interest in ND...

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
What is really interesting is that first we were recruiting a kid who was 5-!0 and now we are recruiting a kid who is 6-31...

I know I am a smartass

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
What is really interesting is that first we were recruiting a kid who was 5-!0 and now we are recruiting a kid who is 6-31...

I know I am a smartass

LOL. Get on it BGIF!

***From everything I am readng this kid could very well be our next commit. Kid LOVES ND. Said it was his biggest offer to date. Of course, in another interview last week with USC guys, he was also effusive in his praise of USC and said they were close to offering.

However, his love for ND is genuine. I mean, he rooted for ND last year even though his brother played for San Diego St. This could be commit #5 people...

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
Yeah, the teaser on Rivals said that ND vaulted up over Washington (no biggie there) Tennessee (pretty decent, produced Eric Berry), and Oklahoma (can't be a slouch there). Kid must have something that some coaches see in him.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
Corwin is building one of the best secondaries in football. There is no surprise that we have the interest of so many corners.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
LOL. Get on it BGIF! ...

Acutally I believe I was getting some well deserved payback. Hoisted on my own petard. Reps to the mayman!

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score

Had it not been that I read LA's post first I would have responded here that ND has been trending to taller CBs with not quite safety bulk to cover the tall WRs and play Nickle.

Wonder if there's any 7-11 receivers out there. If not I can make one.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
Had it not been that I read LA's post first I would have responded here that ND has been trending to taller CBs with not quite safety bulk to cover the tall WRs and play Nickle.

Wonder if there's any 7-11 receivers out there. If not I can make one.

Hmmmm... making one might take 9 months and then 18 years for him to get there... we might be okay 20 years from now... Just saying though, if thats what you want to do then go ahead hahaha

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
Hmmmm... making one might take 9 months and then 18 years for him to get there... we might be okay 20 years from now... Just saying though, if thats what you want to do then go ahead hahaha

I was referring to my keyboard dexterity or lack thereof.

In a biblical sense I'd need a really tall wannabe mom to cooperate. I might rise to the occasion for the cause but I don't think Mrs BGIF is that big an ND fan.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
I was referring to my keyboard dexterity or lack thereof.

In a biblical sense I'd need a really tall wannabe mom to cooperate. I might rise to the occasion for the cause but I don't think Mrs BGIF is that big an ND fan.

Haha, my girlfriend is an ND fan by association, then I showed her a picture of Brady Quinn and she actualy took a bit of interest.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
According to Greg Biggins ESPN, in an interview last week UTN was his leader. Shaw also noted that he would graduate early so he could play Spring Ball.

IrishInFl

Back in Florida
Reaction score
Did ND offer him this week? Do you think this will change his consideration that Tennessee is his top school?

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
Did ND offer him this week? Do you think this will change his consideration that Tennessee is his top school?

Yes, yesterday.

I don't know. I didn't see the the early report Biggins refers to in his piece today:

Irish offer Jones and Shaw Notre Dame always recruits the Golden State hard and the Irish were active on Thursday offering two of the state's top prospects. RB Malcolm Jones CA Westlake Village Oaks Christian and DB Joshua Shaw CA Palmdale both picked up offers from the Irish. ... As for Shaw, he said the offer from the Irish was a long time coming. "They had been hinting an offer was coming for awhile now," Shaw said. "I kept thinking every week that this would be the week I got that offer from them, but now it's finally official. "I definitely plan to check out Notre Dame and I'm very interested in that program. They have a great combination of academics and athletics and I love their tradition. CAL ASU and CU offered me as well so things have really picked up for me in the last few weeks." Shaw told us earlier in the week UTN was his current leader and he's planning to graduate in January, so he can enroll in time for spring ball.

Nine days ago Wiltfong, ISD, reported Shaw's list was:

Top 7 of ND ORE UGA, USC, UCLA, UW and ORS

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
FWIW,

ESPN ranks his schools in his profile as: ND UTN ORE UW OU

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
It's a dream come true. ... I've just had the best day

It's a dream come true. ... I've just had the best day

... Do you think this will change his consideration that Tennessee is his top school?

Yes, according to this ISD piece he could commit before visiting ND.

Touted athlete Joshua Shaw spoke with ESPN affiliate Web site IrishSportsDaily.com about his recent Notre Dame offer, "It's a dream come true. I've always wanted this offer. I'm really excited about it."

Shaw added that a commitment could come before visiting South Bend, Ind., "That's probably 50/50 right now. I need to talk it over with my parents. I might just wait and make sure it's definitely the right fit for me, but I think it is. Out of all the offers I have this is the best one. I've just had the best day."

Keep in mind Shaw and his parents visited ND last Fall to watch his brother play in the SDS game against ND. The folks have seen the school so questions about travel, distance and such they've already dealt with.

I never did find a UTN interview.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
There's a bonus with Shaw, he's graduating early. As an EE ND could count him against last year's undersized class.

IrishInFl

Back in Florida
Reaction score
A quadruple post! Nice!

Why would an EE count against last year's class? I really don't know the rules for EE.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
A quadruple post! Nice!

Over a 1/2 hour. I read slowly. I type slower.

Why would an EE count against last year's class? I really don't know the rules for EE.

Two significant recruiting rules, 25/85.

25 max in a class. 85 max (scholarships) on a team.

Student-athletes graduating early (December) can enroll (EE, Early Enrollment) in college in Jan (2nd semester). They count against the next incoming class (2010) unless there is a vacancy in the preceeding class (2009).

Use ND as an example. In '09 ND signed 18, 7 less than the 25 max. So they still have room for 7 more EEs this year (2010) providing they don't exceed the 85 max rule. I can't give you ND's scholarship total as Weis will probably offer an upperclassman walk-on or two scholarships this summer. That's S.O.P. But ND is currently under the 85.

By next Feb the graduating seniors will be deducted likewise any transfers, academic casualties, Res Life casualites, and those with career ending injuries. That usually dictates how many can be signed on NSD. BUT if you have room in the preceeding class the EE can be counted there. If you have no room there EEs are counted against the incoming class. It's actully the schools choice where they want to apply them. They could split them across the previous class and the incoming class to allow for redshirt positioning.

This is one of the ways SEC sign 35 kids. Some are JUCOs refilling upperclassmen vacancies. Some are EEs and can be counted against the previous years. Some sign although the school knows they are academically non-qualifiers who will not be admitted (See Alabama's #1 Class last year), and some are "grayshirts". Grayshirts have to play their own way until a scholarship opens up (graduation/flunkees, etc).

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

IrishInFl

Back in Florida
Reaction score
Is it really fair to say that Alabama had the #1 class in 08 when some were not admitted? I ask this, because it would mean that ND had the #1 class of 08

What would be the better situation: Have Shaw count towards the 09 class or the 10 class, in our case?

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
Is it really fair to say that Alabama had the #1 class in 08 when some were not admitted? I ask this, because it would mean that ND had the #1 class of 08

What would be the better situation: Have Shaw count towards the 09 class or the 10 class, in our case?

When Alabama had all those thugs, errr, student-athletes arrested and kicked out of school, ND moved up to the number 1 class. So it's already widely accepted that ND had the #1 class in '08. Now for the results...

GOLDENISTHYTATE

Reaction score

Actually, when all was said and done and Alabama had determined how many athletes were actually going to qualify, Rivals redid the recruitment rankings and announced us as the #1 class in 08.

As for Shaw, if he were to commit to the Irish and enroll early, it would be in the best interest of ND to count him towards the 09 class because we were so far under the scholarship maximum per year.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
When Alabama had all those thugs, errr, student-athletes arrested and kicked out of school, ND moved up to the number 1 class. So it's already widely accepted that ND had the #1 class in '08. Now for the results...

Widely accepted among ND fans, and maybe those of Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, and Virginia. Nobody else cared.

In '08 Rivals did two lists one for Signees in Feb and one for Enrollees in Aug. Who got kick out of school wasn't considered. Who did't get into school did. Among the academic casualties Bama lost a pair of 4 Star players to MLB. They sign on the hope that when they drop out of baseball that they'll come home to mama.

However the enrollee list strictly is an exercise. When Rivals does a writeup on class rankings or talks about who won the recruiting sweepstakes they use the Signee Rankings. When they reviewed the Class of '09 Signing they wrote about Bama winning - again. I don't think that's right but that's what they do.

</title> <script language="javascript" src="http://vmedia.rivals.com/js/1014.js"></script> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://vmedia.rivals.com/css/sharedstyles.css"> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://vmedia.rivals.

Rivals.com Football Recruiting - New No. 1 in enrolled team recruiting rankings

In Bama's case it's similar to the way they count National Championships.

Last edited:

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
Rivals has him saying he plans to commity in November and will be in attendance for the USC game. as far as i know Shaw will be there, so will Dietrich Riley, Tailer Jones, Jordan James, Kyle Prater, and Dion Bailey. Its still early however so morenames can be added or dropped