'10 AZ ATH Marquis Flowers (Arizona Verbal)

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
'10 AZ RB/S
Goodyear AZ Millenium H.S.

Ht: 6-3
Wt: 195
Forty: 4.4
Vertical: 33
Shuttle: 4.47
GPA: 2.65

Stats:
'08: RB 932 yards, 8 TDs; S: 87 Tackles, 3 INT's

Ranking:
Rivals: :s::s::s::s:, #7 ATH, Rating 5.9
Scout: :s::s::s::s:, #13 Safety
ESPN: :s::s::s:, #30 Safety, Grade 78

Offers:
Notre Dame OV 11/7
USC
UCLA
Washington
Arizona
Arizona State
California
Colorado
Michigan
Nebraska
Oregon

Decision: Arizona 1/9/10 USAA Bowl

Last edited by a moderator:

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
* Just got his offer yesterday.

* Everyone, including $C, is recruiting him as a safety. CW took the opposite route and offered him as a RB. That could make his ND offer stand out from the others.

* Said he doesn't have a preference of which side of the ball he wants to play, he just knows he wants to play.

* His recruiting is wide open, with no favorites, and he'll announce at the Under Armour AA game. He says that ND will definitely be in the mix and stand a good chance for an official visit.

* No offer from Stanford (!!!!) and his GPA per Rivals is pretty low for an ND recruit.

From Scout:
Long and rangy prospect that has deceptive speed and can cover a lot of ground. Very physical and will make the sure tackle in the open field. Very good in the box and around the line of scrimmage. Could be a college safety or outside linebacker if he adds bulk to his frame.

Bubba

Beer Drinker
Reaction score
Less than 10 miles down the road. I'll have to check out a couple of Millenium games this fall and give a little report...

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
Yeah i saw his GPA on rivals. can't believe he got offered. Rivals hasnt posted it yet

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
* Just got his offer yesterday.

* Everyone, including $C, is recruiting him as a safety. CW took the opposite route and offered him as a RB. That could make his ND offer stand out from the others.

Is this a Trattou lesson learned?

* * No offer from Stanford (!!!!) and his GPA per Rivals is pretty low for an ND recruit. ...

Since '85 (that I can attest to) Stanford was tougher on admissions than ND. Before the SAT scores were recentered a recruit needed a 1000 minimum at SU. Not genius level by far but they were rigid about it (ND has no hard and fast number). I remember one incident where a recruit claimed he had to retake this SAT because he only had a 980 and they said to raise it by 20 points.

Over the years Bootleg has lamented that ND is wrongly compared to The Farm academcially and complains that ND is closer to an SEC school with the caliber of Student Athlete ND admits to the football program. They put a report together showing what poor students ND was admitting. Their "report" had erroneous grades and test scrores for some recruits and omitted some recruits (amazingly ones with high scores, purely oversight, I'm sure). They only used test scored ACT or SAT (I don't recall now which one). I documented reported grades and test scores the fallacies in it and showed it for the hack piece that it was.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
... can't believe he got offered. ...

Paddy Mullen had something like a 2.2. He claimed he was a capable student but didn't apply himself. ND Admissions told him to start. He had to show significant improvement in THAT grading period and remaining HS grading periods if he wanted a scholarship to ND. He applied himself, his grades soared, and Admissions was satisfied.

NDinL.A.

Reaction score
Good news w/ Flowers. He told Rivals that he will visit ND:

“I'm pretty sure I'm going to take one of my official visits to Notre Dame. I think they're in a good spot right now. They're on TV every weekend and they're a known school."

Review: Every school is recruiting him as a safety, except for ND (RB), which hopefully continues to set us apart. He also said that ND would allow him to try both spots to see where he felt more comfortable...

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
Has a bye week the weekend of the USC game. is trying to set up an OV but is waiting on the coaching staff

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
Flowers ND Official 10/16

Flowers ND Official 10/16

Scout Premium Article

First Official Set Up
premiumsml.gif

Four-Star Safety Marquis Flowers will visit Irish
-by Scout.com Sep 18, 2009

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
Jason Sapp, BGI, has an article on Flowers in the current edition. ND is still recruiting Flowers as a RB. Flowers in intrigued by RB as he plays that as well as S in HS. Everybody else is recruiting him as a S which is his preferred position. Flowers notes, "I know if I went there (ND) and wanted to play defense, I could just talk to the coach.

He hasn't had much contact with ND since the spring but says he hasn't had much contact with any others either. He plans on taking all 5 official visits and will announce his decision on 1/9/10 at the USAA Bowl.

Irish.Ca

Reaction score
Good, he doesn't need (visit elsewhere) to b/c he is coming here. Welcome Mr. Flowers.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
Do we want him as RB or S? If we do get him that would be nice.

There were earlier reports that ND was recruiting him at RB but with 2 RB commits and a need for Safeties particularly one with wheels, I think he's S candidate. Nice to have flexible guys. Maybe he could have a role like Burris, full time safety, goal line RB under Holtz.

IrishAddiction

The wa wa wa waterboy
Reaction score
Spots are definately open at safety, not so much at RB. Think we take two, probably going to be him and cooper if we get two.

GOLDENISTHYTATE

Reaction score
With his body frame, if he can put on 20-30 pounds and maintain his speed, I will gladly welcome him into our secondary. Also, IrishAddiction, we can take more than two if we need to, and we are still in it with Parker and Riley as well.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
There were earlier reports that ND was recruiting him at RB but with 2 RB commits and a need for Safeties particularly one with wheels, I think he's S candidate. Nice to have flexible guys. Maybe he could have a role like Burris, full time safety, goal line RB under Holtz.

Flowers is now being recruited as an athlete according to his Rivals interview. I have to disagree on your Burris comparison. If anyone is gonna be used both ways it will be Barr.

GOLDENISTHYTATE

Reaction score
This is the kid who's name I wish came up more. He obviously is still considering ND, and he is one of the premier two-way players in the country. He would be an amazing safety, possibly an lb if he added the weight, and his speed and height are mind-shattering. I pray BK has called this kid and told him to come.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
Rivals is saying he wants to stay out west. USC and ASU appear to be the favorites.

49er-Irish

Reaction score
That's not what I wanted to hear.

If Flowers is out of the picture Cooper's possible visit to ND to meet Kelly this weekend is even bigger.

I just don't get how ND's depth chart at safety doesn't seem to get the attention of these recruits. Flowers, Cooper, or Riley would be immediately on the 2 deep and could be in the starting lineup very quickly if things go their way.

Come on Kelly, reel 'em in!

fitz_bu47

Reaction score
No, I think it was asu, ucla, usc, and another west coast team....looked at it earlier, but can't remember now, too tired.