Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #1
NDBoiler
The Rep Machine

Cash: 2,016,577,473.93
Bank: 4,941,555,684,804,137.00
Total Bankroll: 4,941,557,701,381,611.00
Donate
NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!
Indianapolis Colts Purdue

Running

Hello fellow runners!

I thought it would be a fun idea to start a new thread about a hobby I picked up about a year and a half ago. I played baseball and soccer all through high school, but since graduating in 1998, I have not really done much running since then, so I felt I needed to start doing something to get back up off the couch. I heard about the 500 Festival here in Indy and thought I would give it a try. I did the 5k in 2012 and right now I am in the midst of ramping up my training for the mini marathon in early May.

A problem for me sometimes is staying motivated or thinking, "maybe I'll just run x number of miles today instead of my goal". So, this can be a forum to post your motivational story, talk about your goals, or just report on your training and what race(s) you will be participating in so we can all feed off each other and keep that motivation going!

If you're in the Indy area, I'll see you downtown in May!

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Bluto
Starter

Cash: 200,000,018,059.85
Bank: 2,919,823,459,186.47
Total Bankroll: 3,119,823,477,246.32
Donate
Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!Bluto should be giving advice to Kelly!

Got into running about 8 years ago. Did a couple Ragnar Relays with a some of my brothers and friends. That's a really cool series. I'm not big on super long distances. Anything over say 7 miles and I just lose focus. On that note, over the last two months I've been doing interval training where after warming up I will jog at a 8:30 to 9:00 minute/ mile pace for 2 minutes then run at a 6:00/mile pace for one minute. I repeat that cycle for about 3 miles. Pretty hard. Good way to get in a quick intense workout.

Last edited by Bluto; 01-17-2013 at 01:19 PM..
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
mgriff
Useful idiot

Cash: 199,655.57
Bank: 428,923,200,321,921.12
Total Bankroll: 428,923,200,521,576.75
Donate
mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!mgriff should be giving advice to Kelly!
Miami Dolphins Notre Dame Liverpool USA

Got into running track in high school. I ran distance/mid-distance. Had to run a lot in the Army through ****** scenarios and general suckiness...don't like to run much anymore after that. **** running.

Last edited by mgriff; 01-17-2013 at 02:12 PM..
mgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
tko
I am Legend

Cash: 0.25
Bank: 318,777,777,777,777,792.00
Total Bankroll: 318,777,777,777,777,792.00
Donate
tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!
Philadelphia Phillies Notre Dame

Running is too hard on my body these days. I used to run all the time as a pitcher in baseball, but now can't do it.
tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
NDBoiler
The Rep Machine

Donate
NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!NDBoiler should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Got into running about 8 years ago. Did a couple Ragnar Relays with a some of my brothers and friends. That's a really cool series. I'm not big on super long distances. Anything over say 7 miles and I just loose focus. On that note, over the last two months I've been doing interval training where after warming up I will jog at a 8:30 to 9:00 minute/ mile pace for 2 minutes then run at a 6:00/mile pace for one minute. I repeat that cycle for about 3 miles. Pretty hard. Good way to get in a quick intense workout.
Good stuff. I struggle with running "fast" miles myself (since I'm 5'-9" tall, I tell myself its because I have short legs). I feel like I can run long distances, but I seem to be stuck around 12-13 minutes per mile, so I am definitely looking for ways to quicken my pace. My goal for the Mini Marathon in May is 2hr 30 min, which works out to about 11min 30sec per mile average. i might have to try that technique and see if that helps.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
NDBoiler
The Rep Machine

Donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by tko View Post
Running is too hard on my body these days. I used to run all the time as a pitcher in baseball, but now can't do it.
LOL, I was pitcher too in high school. Seems I did way more running than throwing in practice if I recall!

I imagine I might shut it down after this mini marathon for a while. I am only 32 going on 33, but I definitely feel it in my body afterwards these days.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
tko
I am Legend

Cash: 0.25
Bank: 318,777,777,777,777,792.00
Total Bankroll: 318,777,777,777,777,792.00
Donate
tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!tko should be giving advice to Kelly!
Philadelphia Phillies Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDBoiler View Post
LOL, I was pitcher too in high school. Seems I did way more running than throwing in practice if I recall!

I imagine I might shut it down after this mini marathon for a while. I am only 32 going on 33, but I definitely feel it in my body afterwards these days.
I'm sure we both ran a few foul poles in our day. I just turned 40 and have resorted to spinning class and body pump. I like to ride/stand in the back for full yoga pant views.
tko is offline   Reply With Quote