Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Professional Teams
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
SoCalDomer
Team MVP

Cash: 1,648,062.75
Bank: 2,549,483.32
Total Bankroll: 4,197,546.07
Donate
SoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the communitySoCalDomer is a leader in the community
Notre Dame USA

QB's in pro football

This article got me thinking about the different types of QB's we see in college versus in the pros.
Meyer's magic - NCAA Football - Yahoo! Sports

Unless pro football is changing, I don't see the dual threat QB being all that successful in the pros. There might be one or two exceptions to the rule, but I don't see the spread option work in the pros. So if a dual-QB can't read defenses, and isn't that accurate or have that strong of an arm, can he make it with his legs?

It seems there are three general styles: 1) Drop-back pocket passer, 2) Mobile passer, and 3) Dual threat. (By dual threat, I mean someone whose first thought is not to stay in the pocket and is just as good with his legs as he is with his arm.)

The only real dual threat I can think of is Michael Vick, who literally could beat you with his legs, probably more so than his arm. But even while he was successful, the Falcons did not become perrenial contenders. QB's like McNabb, McNair and Vince Young seem to fall into the second category, because they focus first on passing, but are a threat to run and can beat you with their legs if passing is not an option.

So, will a dual QB ever succeed in the NFL?

Last edited by SoCalDomer; 12-10-2007 at 02:50 PM..
SoCalDomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #2
ackirl

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate

No
Old 12-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Sureal
Ambassador of Good Will

Cash: 656,188.45
Bank: 59,403,897,231,963.52
Total Bankroll: 59,403,897,888,151.98
Donate
Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!Sureal should be giving advice to Kelly!
Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics Dallas Cowboys Connecticut USA

What was Steve Young or Roger Staubach? How about Fran Tarkenton? I know he didn't win any Superbowls but he still won some games. What would we define them?
Sureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
Newc
Sophomore

Cash: 3,407.99
Bank: 79,410.30
Total Bankroll: 82,818.29
Donate
Newc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the community
Boston Red Sox Cleveland Browns Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureal View Post
What was Steve Young or Roger Staubach? How about Fran Tarkenton? I know he didn't win any Superbowls but he still won some games. What would we define them?
Young would definitely fall into the category of a mobile QB. He used his legs to open up throwing lanes but also wasn't afraid to take off. I highly doubt though, that teams gameplanned for his running abilities, unlike someone like a Vick who has a spy on him.

I doubt we will ever see a "dual theat" QB in the NFL simply because NFL players are too athletic. The NFL teams are like all-star college teams. LBs run extremely very fast in the NFL and normally even the lower level teams have players good enough to stop a running QB. Now, Vick had success with his legs, but that is because he has exceptional speed and agility, however, you could never take him seriously as a QB because he could never put it together through the air. I think the same thing goes for Vince Young. Yea he has a lot of TDs with his legs, but he has thrown more Ints than TDs this year, thats not a winning combination.

The NFL is all about strategy and execution, therefore it is fairly mandatory for an NFL team who wants to win a Super Bowl to have a drop back passer who can read defenses and make the throws.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
GoIrish41
Paterfamilius

Cash: 75,290.22
Bank: 2,598,496,395,063,232.50
Total Bankroll: 2,598,496,395,138,522.50
Donate
GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Golden State Warriors Philadelphia Eagles Notre Dame

Randall Cunningham was the best dual threat QB in the NFL back in the day. Probably the best athlete on the field in every game he played. He could certainly beat you with his legs or with his arm.
GoIrish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
goldandblue
Starter

Cash: 81,570.94
Bank: 3,912,336,117,961,320,448.00
Total Bankroll: 3,912,336,117,961,401,856.00
Donate
goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!goldandblue should be giving advice to Kelly!
Memphis Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators Notre Dame

I don't think the dual threat QB is much of a threat at all in the NFL. Maybe for a big play here or there or a touchdown here or there but not as far as winning championships.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
GoIrish41
Paterfamilius

Cash: 75,290.22
Bank: 2,598,496,395,063,232.50
Total Bankroll: 2,598,496,395,138,522.50
Donate
GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!GoIrish41 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Golden State Warriors Philadelphia Eagles Notre Dame

In Cunningham's career he threw for 29,979 yards and 207 TDs. He rushed for 4,928 yards and 35 TDs. He was a 3-time MVP. Only a handful of guys can make that claim. He took teams deep into the playoffs during several seasons. There are many QBs who never win the big game, most notably, I will say, Dan Marino. I don't think anyone would argue that he was unsuccessful because of that. I definately think there is a place for the dual threat QB in the NFL. IMO, Cunningham is the best example of that.
GoIrish41 is offline   Reply With Quote