Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Professional Teams
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
celtic745
Freshman

Cash: 6,907.00
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 6,907.00
Donate
celtic745 has a good aura about themceltic745 has a good aura about themceltic745 has a good aura about them
Send a message via AIM to celtic745
Boston Red Sox Boston Celtics New England Patriots Notre Dame

Jackie Robinson Day

I was just wondering what you guys thought. I just feel like people have lost a lot of respect for Jackie Robinson. Maybe because it was a while ago now, people have seemed to lose his importance. Maybe saying that people have "lost respect" for Jackie Robinson is a bad way to put it, but even I am guilty of forgeting about Jackie Robinson Day until I actually read something about it online. I don't hear a lot of people talking about this that much, when really this is the aniversary of some major MLB and American history. If it weren't for this guy, Hank Aaron and tons of other guys wouldn't have been able to do what they have done. Just thought I'd put that out there.

I personally think it's cool to see a lot of guys wearing the 42 tommorow ( even though there are some, Mariano Rivera comes to mind first, that still wear the number on a regular basis. )
The dodgers are all wearing 42 I read. That sure won't be confusing or anything.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
notredomer23
Go Irish

Cash: 4,895.32
Bank: 968,117,796.73
Total Bankroll: 968,122,692.06
Donate
notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!notredomer23 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees New York Knicks New York Giants Notre Dame Manchester City USA

yeah its cool that all the dodgers are wearing the number 42 tomorrow, but they are beating this story to death more than anna nicole smith. I cant stand when they say african americans have lost respect for baseball because i know at least half the schools in my area are at least half african americans. But its cool that they are having this day, he was a true, inspiring person
notredomer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
Hero

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate

I never like that a lot of teams have actually retired the number when he never played for them. I think if we're going to have a day celebrating his debut it's only fair we do the same for the debut of the first Asian, first Dominican, first Cuban, and so on. I'm aware this is impossible but thats my point. This has been absued and means nothing now. They should have had a special opening during the DODGERS game and only the Dodgers game and ran 1 piece on it on ESPN not 40,000,000 of them every half hour.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 AM   #4
stonebreakerwasgod
LMI steals vbucks

Cash: 428,617.70
Bank: 819,985.98
Total Bankroll: 1,248,603.68
Donate
stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!stonebreakerwasgod should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Los Angeles Lakers Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati

I have alot of respect for Jackie Robinson. It would be hard to be the first, but at least he WAS the first. Think about ALL of the players who had the talent and ability and never got a chance to earn a living/respect by not playing in the majors. How many were comparable in talent that we will never hear about, or have seen play. Damn shame, I say.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
IRISHDODGER
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 5,064,103.23
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 5,064,103.23
Donate
IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!IRISHDODGER should be giving advice to Kelly!
Los Angeles Dodgers Boston Celtics Chicago Bears Notre Dame

I believe every MLB team has retired #42 in honor of Robinson. Like Celtic said, I don't think it's a lack of respect, but ignorance by young people who equate sports excellence as being featured on SportsCenter highlights. I believe I heard that there are now less than 100 black American players on MLB rosters today. That's too bad, but in our ADHD world, kids look at baseball as boring & not as sexy as NBA or NFL w/ the instant show-stopping highlights.

Some experts say Jackie Robinson was one of the best college athletes of all time. The guy excelled in everything at UCLA incl. baseball, football & track. Today, he'd have his pick of which sport to play professionally. God bless Jackie & Rachel Robinson.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
Newc
Sophomore

Cash: 324.50
Bank: 86,758.39
Total Bankroll: 87,082.89
Donate
Newc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the communityNewc is a leader in the community
Boston Red Sox Cleveland Browns Notre Dame

IrishDodger, I couldn't agree with you more. I definitely respect Jackie Robinson and really who can't? He was an incredible ball player and an incredible man to have done what he did. However, I think the whole lack of black MLB players discussion put a very sour note on the celebration of a great man and player. I don't really think you can blame MLB for the lack of african american players in the league right now. Basketball and football are much more "sexy" sports to young kids right now. They are full of action and glory which make them very desireable sports to be involved in. I think it was Cal Ripken who was talking over the weekend about how its not only african american players who are declining but all americans. He said it broke his heart that there were so few kids playing pickup baseball games out on the fields these days, which was a staple of childhood 30 years ago. Its the changing tides of our society, kids want action, they need their attention to be kept at all time and quite frankly kids get bored standing in right field waiting for a fly ball and getting an at bat once every three innings, I think thats why you see so many kids playing lacrosse in the spring now.

I appologize for the rambling, but I think it was overdone with the lack of african american players talk when we were supposed to be celebrating a legend.
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
Hero

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHDODGER View Post
I believe every MLB team has retired #42 in honor of Robinson. .

Not the Yanks