Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #29
PerthDomer
Freshman

Cash: 7,177.50
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 7,177.50
Donate
PerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant futurePerthDomer has a brilliant future

Apostles creed sets him as son of god. Nicea defines exactly what that means. Besides for the councils to pass anything you basically had to have something set in stone. Each council in turn ends up being a reputation of heretical sects.
PerthDomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #30
Buster Bluth

Cash: 0
Bank: 0
Total Bankroll: 0
Donate

Another point for discussion: the Devil.

My Jewish friends tell me that their Devil isn't even remotely close to the Christian one, nor is their view of heaven. Ummm, red flags there--how can our story be true if the religion were built on never had any of that??? There simply is no Satan or Lucifer battling against God.

If Original Sin created sin, how did the devil know about the fruit? He's a "fallen angel?" What the hell is that and where is that in the Bible? IF God is all powerful, couldn't he destroy the Devil at any time? Isn't the Devil akin to a rabid dog who wants to devour any person he can get his teeth on, and God akin to the lazy deadbeat dog owner who lets the wild beast get out of his yard? If I let a wild dog loose and it hurts someone, I am responsible. God is responsible for everything the Devil does, he created him and allows him to function. It's a pretty stupid story all things considered. The devil isn't tempting you, od is via th devil because ggod is a relentless egomaniac.

Another point for discussion: prayer, God's plan, and His will.

If God has a plan, what the hell is the point of praying for things? That seems pretty silly to me. It'll happen regardless of whether your pray or not.

If it works: "God has answered our prayers!"

If it doesn't "Oooh, mysterious! What does it mean? Let's pray on it..."

Knowledgeable people should respond to me with something along the lines of that it's not asking God for things per se but time spent to better understand him...or whatever. But the loooooong history of prayer for things like a good harvest, a drought to end, to win a war, etc etc has lead to some twisted things, like sacrifice. Religion must inherit those flaws.

Another point for discussion: Native Americans, Chinese, Indians, Pacific Islanders, Sub-Saharan Africans.

Why didn't Jesus tell his crew "hey guys, here is a map of the world. This will help spread the word that I apparently cannot. Keep in mind the THREE CONTINENTS THAT YOU DON'T CURRENTLY KNOW ABOUT, THOSE ARE KEY!." But nope he didn't do that. In fact, he didn't even go see the Native Americans and preach to them that he was their Messiah too (Well, unless you're Mormon...). Actually, wait, I can understand not preaching to them if for whatever reasons he wants the apostles and their descendents to do it. But at the very least couldn't he make them resistant to smallpox so when the Christians get there they don't die by the tens of millions simply for coming in contact with European Christians? Seems like a pretty stupid way to go about spreading the word of god...

Last edited by Buster Bluth; 02-10-2014 at 03:12 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #31
Buster Bluth

Donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerthDomer View Post
Apostles creed sets him as son of god. Nicea defines exactly what that means. Besides for the councils to pass anything you basically had to have something set in stone. Each council in turn ends up being a reputation of heretical sects.
How old is that? Isn't that, as far as archeological evidence in concerned, based on the Old Roman Creed from the second century?

Last edited by Buster Bluth; 02-10-2014 at 01:25 AM..
Old 02-10-2014, 01:31 AM   #32
arndtjc
Jameson in my coffee

Cash: 12,002.31
Bank: 33,429,075.07
Total Bankroll: 33,441,077.38
Donate
arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!arndtjc should be giving advice to Kelly!
Tampa Bay Devil Rays Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tampa Bay Lightning Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Bluth View Post
For me to believe in a religion, I either have to understand it or trust the entity that is promoting it. I do not understand Christianity, and I certainly do not trust the Church. The history of the Catholic Church is contemptible. All you need to know about is Martin Luther and the whole story comes crashing down. The guy was a Catholic Priest who wanted the members of his Parish to have a closer relationship with God, and that ultimately lead to his excommunication. His biggest transgression was... translating the Bible from Latin to German? WHAT THE FUCK?

Consider for a moment that back in Martin Luther's day only like 5% of people could read, and only a fraction of those people could read Latin. That is fascinating to me. Here's a situation where 19/20 people have to listen to your sermon and take your word for it--but wait, your sermon and whatnot is in a dead language (Latin) and they can't understand any of it! (Side story: Here are these serfs (read: slaves) working the land for the 1%, and they start to complain that other Dukes/Counts/etc are willing to pay them more for their service and the Catholic Church comes in and says "Ohhh no no, God brought you into this word as a serf at X castle and here are XYZ passages that back this up. It is now illegal for you to switch bosses." That is disturbing!)

So anyway people like Martin Luther start saying that people should be able to read the Bible and have their own relationship with God (basically the fundamentals of Protestantism) and as soon as the Church got word they would kill them! One after another. Those crazy heretics and their wanting to know more about God!

The printing press changed all of that and allowed Martin Luther to get his message out faster than the Catholic Church can put it out, and once he had German political backing (they were pissed at the Pope for living like a, well, Roman Emperor...which he basically was) he was safe and the rest is history. If the Catholic Church is God's Church, stuff like that doesn't happen. Nor does the Spanish Inquisition, etc etc etc. There are thousands of examples that I could point to but the Martin Luther was shows most clearly, for me anyway, that the Church was basically enslaving all of Europe.
You're blowing my mind! I wish I could rep every post!
arndtjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #33
Buster Bluth

Donate

Can someone give me a response to Sam Harris' presentation at Notre Dame?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #34
SaltyND24
Junior

Cash: 186,586,745.56
Bank: 980,480,435,946,754,176.00
Total Bankroll: 980,480,436,133,340,928.00
Donate
SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!SaltyND24 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Los Angeles Angels Los Angeles Lakers Washington Redskins Los Angeles Kings

My feelings to an extent...

SaltyND24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #35
Cackalacky

Donate

1. I don't know, but I can't imagine that of all of the religions on earth, there is only one that is right.
2. I don't know. Which version? Which translation? The King James version? mostly no.
3. I don't know. I know of no primary sources for his existence, only texts that were written well after his death.

And that is ok. I just do my best to contribute to the universe and be a positive fellow human being, and tread lightly on the earth.