Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football Recruiting > 2019 Recruiting Profiles
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 07-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #71
ResLife Hero
Team MVP

Cash: 56,602.82
Bank: 23,353,373,196,982,504.00
Total Bankroll: 23,353,373,197,039,108.00
Donate
ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!ResLife Hero should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Los Angeles Lakers Notre Dame

https://247sports.com/college/notre-...ace-119835885/

Quote:
Notre Dame has quality talent at cornerback currently but stocking the shelves in the 2018 and 2019 classes was crucial. K.J. Wallace was a big part of that effort.

Possibly the most well-rounded addition of the 2018 2019 cornerback group (assuming he signs this winter), Wallace is said to have taken a big step forward in his development during this off-season.

The four-star Lovett School star visited Notre Dame recently, getting connected with the incoming freshman as they arrived in South Bend, and re-connecting with coach Todd Lyght and Brian Kelly.

To talk off-season training, look back on his recruitment, his commitment, discuss his fellow Irish commitments, and more, Wallace linked-up with Kevin Sinclair for a Q&A.

Sinclair: Early in your recruitment, it was often discussed that you were an old friend and former teammate of Derrik Allen. Can you explain your connection to Derrik?

Wallace: I met Derrik when I was six. Him and his family. We both played ball at the same organization. He was always a year ahead of me. Weve known each other from there. We were both really good back then, both running around the edge, scoring touchdowns. Weve come to know each other from there.

Its a really good association. Now that I think about it; me, Derrik Allen, Trevor Lawrence, and a few other kids actually played in that same little league, little team. Its cool. And Minnesota (freshman running back) Noland Edmonds. We all played on the same little league team. I was a year younger.

Sinclair: During the time Notre Dame offered you, which wasnt long before you committed, which programs were recruiting you consistently around that time December - January?

Wallace: Id say Penn State, Stanford, Auburn, Cal for sure, and a little bit of Florida.

Im not really big on social media. Thats probably why (people didnt realize who was recruiting me).

Sinclair: Your Junior Day visit in January seemed to seal-the-deal for you. How would you explain the basis of your commitment?

Wallace: Ive been to a lot of places. It was just a different feeling. Ive been to almost every SEC school. Ive been out West. Ive been out to Texas, not to the schools but that state and saw everything theyve got going on. I mean, it was like I didnt feel like I was going to get a better deal of big-time football and academics and a lot of connections, a lot of people there to help you out. I was just, like, I might as well. This is it right here.

Sinclair: Todd Lyght is clearly leading your recruitment. What are your thoughts on coach Lyght? Is his background something that stands out to you?

Wallace: Yeah, actually, because its one thing to teach me something, but its another thing if youve done it. You know what Im saying? So, you literally know what youre talking about. Theres a lot of coaches down here that stopped playing football in high school or middle school and its like, OK, you may know the scheme, but you dont know physically what Im doing with my body. If he knows the ins-and-outs of something, I can tell him about it, and he can relate to it.

On top of that, hes just a good guy. He and my pops hang out all the time when they get a chance. They have a good relationship. Hes a cool guy. Definitely someone I can relate to and play for, for four years.

Sinclair: This off-season, theres been talk of you up-ing your game. What areas would you say youve improved?

Wallace: My footwork and just the ins-and-outs of the position. Every time I go to workout or do a drill, I know what its supposed to feel like. I know what its supposed to look like. How my body weight is supposed to be shifted, Im fine-tuning my body. I dont really know how to describe it, but its kind of like this thing where Im trying to be as perfect as possible on every single rep I do. And really, Im working on my mentality. This year, its about dominating. Theres been times, and I think every player goes through it, where you say, I cant have that. I just cant have that this year.

Im just working on my mentality and just fine-tuning my body as a DB. And Im also just getting faster. You can never be too fast.

Sinclair: With yourself, Derrik Allen, and Kyle Hamilton; theres a lot of excitement around a possible Atlanta-area pipeline to Notre Dame. Do you see this being a trend, in that, do you think ND will continue to draw talent from the Atlanta-area, particularly the prep schools?

Wallace: Yeah, because its like a direct transition in that school is hard here and school is going to be hard there. The football is good here. The football is going to be good there. So, I can see how a lot of kids from Atlanta, especially us, going up there because its like, oh, Im used to this.

Not even just prep schools, either. I feel like theres a lot of good schools in Atlanta, public and private, and I just feel like theres a lot of kids attracted to (Notre Dame).

Sinclair: Youve competed against Kyle Hamilton, you two are friends, and you face-off in the season opener. I remember you telling me about him way before he blew up nationally. What are your thoughts on Kyle at the safety position? What stands out about him?

Wallace: Thats my boy. He is a dog. The best way to describe Kyle is untapped potential because, I mean, youre talking about a guy who is just raw. He has never really been to a technique guy, a DB coach, things like that. Yet, he works out himself. When this guy gets some coaching, I feel like hes League-bound. Hes got the size. Hes got the talent. He can put on weight and play outside linebacker. He can put on 15 pounds and be a killer safety. I really think hes got a lot of upside. I think hes got the most upside out of most of the DBs in our class. Its a good look for him.

Sinclair: My last question; what are your thoughts on the Notre Dame 2019 class? What sticks out when you look at the class from top-to-bottom.

Wallace: I think what Im most excited about is how similar we are as people. Its kind of funny. Were all goofy kids, honestly. We all joke around in our group chat. I know well all be up there for the Michigan game. Were just a bunch of regular kids who like to play football, really. We all love the game. We all joke about the same things, girls, Fortnite, food, whatever. I think its going to be fun. I think over the course of our college careers, well become brothers. I can feel it. Were pretty close already, and thats just over a recruit-chat. I think something good is to come.
ResLife Hero is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #72
NDCrusader
Legend

Cash: 101,020,074,455.00
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 101,020,074,455.00
Donate
NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #73
arrowryan
All-American

Cash: 100,000,000,003,181,584.00
Total Bankroll: 100,000,000,003,181,584.00
Donate
arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!arrowryan should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Pittsburgh Steelers Notre Dame

Last edited by arrowryan; 12-19-2018 at 08:42 AM..
arrowryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:14 AM   #74
NDCrusader
Legend

Donate
NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!

Old 12-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #75
NDCrusader
Legend

Donate

Just listening to Denson being interviewed and he said him and KJ's Dad played together in HS. Sound's like that was a big part of KJ's recruitment.

Never heard that before.