Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Athletics
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #15
greyhammer90
the drunk piano player

Cash: 1,915,866,314,380,147.25
Bank: 190,984,503,186,812,633,088.00
Total Bankroll: 190,986,419,053,126,975,488.00
Donate
greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Memphis Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rack Em View Post
Athletes get discounted or free higher education. If you want to profit off your likeness and image, then start a professional or minor league system and make your bucks.

I just don’t feel bad for any athlete that claims they are compensated unfairly in any way. Guess what. Get a real ****ing job like the rest of us.
For the most part I agree, but I see no reason why the exceptional ones shouldn't be allowed to make money off their image. It seems like a weird thing to be "anti". The ones that don't warrant additional money won't make it, the exceptional ones like Heisman candidates will get advertising deals. Who cares? I guess I could see being concerned if the NCAA was some beacon of an unsullied academic institution, but it's already dirty and money grubbing as is.

Funnier than you in 2012.
greyhammer90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #16
Pops Freshenmeyer
Senior

Cash: 5,019,329.65
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 5,019,329.65
Donate
Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!Pops Freshenmeyer should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhammer90 View Post
For the most part I agree, but I see no reason why the exceptional ones shouldn't be allowed to make money off their image. It seems like a weird thing to be "anti". The ones that don't warrant additional money won't make it, the exceptional ones like Heisman candidates will get advertising deals. Who cares? I guess I could see being concerned if the NCAA was some beacon of an unsullied academic institution, but it's already dirty and money grubbing as is.
I think the anti crowd is worried about other things happening under that change in the rule.
Pops Freshenmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 PM   #17
NorthDakota
Grandson of Loomis

Cash: 1,000,000,000,031,715.50
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 1,000,000,000,031,715.50
Donate
NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!NorthDakota should be giving advice to Kelly!
Minnesota Twins Washington Wizards Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Notre Dame Liverpool Germany

Quote:
All the sudden SMU is recruiting 5 stars because boosters are paying for "image rights."
NorthDakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #18
SouthSideChiDomer
Freshman

Cash: 11,128,059.85
Bank: 84,615,444,988.85
Total Bankroll: 84,626,573,048.70
Donate
SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!SouthSideChiDomer should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago White Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLax View Post
If there was a fair system, it would mandate the following:
-4 years to play, period. No 5th years.
-Must be a full time student each semester to be eligible.
-Independent NCAA auditors at each school reviewing coursework for players. Standardized punishments for plagiarism, cheating, etc. across all schools.
-Independent NCAA auditors at each school administering the same, standardized random drug tests using the NFL model or equivalent.
-Players are allowed to receive compensation put into a trust fund. They receive this compensation upon graduation. If they do not graduate within 5 years of being enrolled, the compensation is forfeited to the school's general scholarship fund.
-Players can take a monthly disbursement of a low amount (say, $2000) from their trust fund while a full time student.
-Players with a 3.0 GPA or better can transfer without having to sit out a year. Players with below a 3.0 must sit a year. NO WAIVERS, NO GRAD TRANSFERS.

This is how you get student athletes to be *real students* while also letting them get a share of the pie they earned. The cost would be roughly $100k per school to afford the auditors.
The only reason I don't like something like this is that it might incentivize the SAs to take easy bs majors so they can maintain that average while also potentially hurting the ones that want to challenge themselves with engineering or pre-med majors.
SouthSideChiDomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:13 PM   #19
GATTACA!
It's about to get gross

Cash: 6,748,522,807,923,860.00
Bank: 1,364,904,917,556,613,873,664.00
Total Bankroll: 1,364,911,666,079,421,693,952.00
Donate
GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Cleveland Browns New Jersey Devils Notre Dame

**** the NCAA.
GATTACA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:57 PM   #20
greyhammer90
the drunk piano player

Cash: 1,915,866,314,380,147.25
Bank: 190,984,503,186,812,633,088.00
Total Bankroll: 190,986,419,053,126,975,488.00
Donate
greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Memphis Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDakota View Post
All the sudden SMU is recruiting 5 stars because boosters are paying for "image rights."
I suppose Ole Miss recruits well because those 5 stars love to hear the song "Dixie." It's already happening, might as well make it legal so everyone can do it too. Some schools will be disadvantaged, but that's not a good reason to screw over a bunch of 18 year olds out of what they could recieve in any other market if the system in place wasn't built to freeze them out for no good reason except to protect an idealistic notion of amateurism that's already long gone and buried.

I agree that a minor league is the best solution, and I'd rather CFB be full of Tranquills and let the Jaylon's go make money off the bat, but it's clear that's not going to happen as there's no incentive for the Conferences or the NFL.

Funnier than you in 2012.
greyhammer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:21 PM   #21
GATTACA!
It's about to get gross

Cash: 6,748,522,807,923,860.00
Bank: 1,364,904,917,556,613,873,664.00
Total Bankroll: 1,364,911,666,079,421,693,952.00
Donate
GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!GATTACA! should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cleveland Indians Cleveland Cavaliers Cleveland Browns New Jersey Devils Notre Dame

Quote:
I suppose Ole Miss recruits well because those 5 stars love to hear the song "Dixie." It's already happening, might as well make it legal so everyone can do it too. Some schools will be disadvantaged, but that's not a good reason to screw over a bunch of 18 year olds out of what they could recieve in any other market if the system in place wasn't built to freeze them out for no good reason except to protect an idealistic notion of amateurism that's already long gone and buried.

I agree that a minor league is the best solution, and I'd rather CFB be full of Tranquills and let the Jaylon's go make money off the bat, but it's clear that's not going to happen as there's no incentive for the Conferences or the NFL.
Yeah but Ole Miss got caught didn't they?

The players are signing a contract exchanging their service for a free education. I don't see a problem with that part of it. They're free to try and make it to the NFL via another route, but the compensation for their time and effort are known when they sign up.

I do think all athletes should be paid as if their training and play time were a work study position. They are putting in 1000% more effort and making the schools 1000000x more money than some random schlub with a TA work study or someone sitting behind a receptionists desk. There should also be no cap on how much they earn through that work study position, I know their was a cap on how much you could make when I was in school, but since these athletes don't really have a choice on how much they're training they should be compensated for all of it.

The problem I do have is the athletes not being able to profit off their own likeness. For instance the player who was forced to shut down their YouTube account. That's just plain absurd and none of the NCAAs business.
GATTACA! is offline   Reply With Quote