Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Athletics
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #631
BabyIrish
Marble Mouth

Cash: 13,230,094,701.52
Bank: 417,926,619,061.52
Total Bankroll: 431,156,713,763.04
Donate
BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!BabyIrish should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woneone View Post
We always use Duke and Kentucky in these comparisons. What about a team like West Virginia? Very similar situation to what we were in. Players injured or kicked off the team (I think they lost probably their 3 best players during the season due to suspension). Their starting 5 all played 30+ minutes last night against TT.

Do you think they'd trade Jordan McCabe or Derek Culver or Emmitt Matthews Jr for any of our guys? I'm pretty sure both McCabe and Matthews were ranked lower than any of our recruits.

Yet somehow, they were physically ready. They play 25+ minutes a game (after suspensions). They will more than likely be there for 4 years. And the WVU coaches have them ready to play late in the season (the Culver kid is turning into a force, and both McCabe and Matthews have performed better than any of our freshman down the stretch, with Matthews at least being debatable).
Even though I disagree with you about Rex, this is spot on. Certainly strength and conditioning in the off season is going to help the freshman, don't get me wrong. Certainly strenghth could help Nate in defensive rebounding but he's not a guy they ever had in the post and he won't be until Mooney and Juwan leave. The freshman- Nate and Dane- could have played better regardless of strength and conditioning, especially since they had extra practice and game time with the foreign tour.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 03-30-2019, 11:49 AM   #632
NDGOLDEN
Sophomore

Cash: 100,000,012,000,145,760.00
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 100,000,012,000,145,760.00
Donate
NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!

Greattttt Harvey entering the transfer portal. Not opposed to coming back but still entering
NDGOLDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #633
irishrb
Blue Chip Recruit

Cash: 3,941.56
Total Bankroll: 3,941.56
Donate
irishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond reputeirishrb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
Greattttt Harvey entering the transfer portal. Not opposed to coming back but still entering
What the....Come on Brey...what's going on with all these transfers lately...
irishrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:06 PM   #634
Woneone
Sophomore

Cash: 47,645.51
Total Bankroll: 47,645.51
Donate
Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
When a player comes up in discussion, the talk turns to how "good" they are/could be. If that's the case, you can't play them all. I actually think we'll see a transfer before the start of next season, especially if we have a grad transfer now that we missed on Mitchell.
As soon as the news broke that Brey was visiting Justin Pierce, coupled with Rex coming back, something like this was going to happen. I thought about suggesting Harvey would be the one, but as contentious as the conversations had gotten, I didn't (would have looked like a damn prophet).

What did anyone expect? We literally have 5 guys playing slight variations of the same position coming back, and we go out and talk to a 6'7'' grad transfer that fits the same mold. Of all the guys in the mix, Harvey seemed like the most likely due to class and years remaining after transfer.

Maybe Brey thought he could keep everyone happy, I don't know. But, in my opinion, it was get Rex to come back or risk a transfer (and I personally think the obvious risk was Harvey). Does Rex's leadership trump DJ's potential? I believe Brey thinks next years team needs a floor leader more than it does more potential ability at the 3.

Last edited by Woneone; 03-30-2019 at 12:19 PM..
Woneone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:38 PM   #635
NDGOLDEN
Sophomore

Cash: 100,000,012,000,145,760.00
Total Bankroll: 100,000,012,000,145,760.00
Donate
NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!NDGOLDEN should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woneone View Post
As soon as the news broke that Brey was visiting Justin Pierce, coupled with Rex coming back, something like this was going to happen. I thought about suggesting Harvey would be the one, but as contentious as the conversations had gotten, I didn't (would have looked like a damn prophet).

What did anyone expect? We literally have 5 guys playing slight variations of the same position coming back, and we go out and talk to a 6'7'' grad transfer that fits the same mold. Of all the guys in the mix, Harvey seemed like the most likely due to class and years remaining after transfer.

Maybe Brey thought he could keep everyone happy, I don't know. But, in my opinion, it was get Rex to come back or risk a transfer (and I personally think the obvious risk was Harvey). Does Rex's leadership trump DJ's potential? I believe Brey thinks next years team needs a floor leader more than it does more potential ability at the 3.
Not only that but Harvey has been injury prone his whole career even in high school I think he got hurt his senior year. I mean look I would love to have Harvey but what has he done? Heís been very frustrating for being a top 50 recruit and hasnít done anything yet
NDGOLDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:42 PM   #636
ab2cmiller
Troublemaker in training

Cash: 852,502.14
Total Bankroll: 852,502.14
Donate
ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Hope this doesn't hurt our pursuit of Hunter Dickinson.
ab2cmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:52 PM   #637
Woneone
Sophomore

Cash: 47,645.51
Total Bankroll: 47,645.51
Donate
Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!Woneone should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDGOLDEN View Post
Not only that but Harvey has been injury prone his whole career even in high school I think he got hurt his senior year. I mean look I would love to have Harvey but what has he done? Heís been very frustrating for being a top 50 recruit and hasnít done anything yet
It's another Matt Ryan situation.

Yes, you should get a bunch of minutes next year, but they aren't guaranteed. The question is are you better than the other guys at the position? In DJ's case, are you so much better than Goodwin, Carmody, Djogo, Rex, and a potential transfer that your minutes won't get cut?

Here is DJ's biggest problem with our roster next year, he's just a small forward. He doesn't have near the position flexibility as others do. Or, more accurately, if someone has to play out of position, other guys have more skills that cross over than he does.

He obviously can't play the point (all of the guys listed above sans Carmody are better options at this point).

He's not good enough defensively to play the 2 - Rex and Goodwin have shown to be better defenders. Hell, even Djogo.

Can he play small ball 4? Sure (he did small bit before he got hurt is freshman year). But is he better at that position that Rex or Djogo? I don't think so, and I don't think it's close. And, unlike previously years, we can play Laz and Mooney here as well.

But is he the best small forward? I'd honestly say yes. But, like Matt Ryan before him, it doesn't look like he's willing, at this point, to take that bet.
Woneone is offline   Reply With Quote