Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Athletics
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 01-30-2019, 11:29 AM   #351
ab2cmiller
Troublemaker in training

Cash: 852,501.14
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 852,501.14
Donate
ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!ab2cmiller should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
Generally, if the got an offer, then by definition quite a bit of time went into them. The exact amount, can obviously vary. Unfortunately, other than subjective reporting that may hint at the "dedication" to a given player, we'll never know how much time/resources go into the individual player. It falls into the mysterious world of college recruiting.
I guess I disagree with the assumption that just because a 5 star kid gets an offer, it means that we've spent a lot of time and effort that could've been better used recruiting other kids.

I think that Brey should continue to pursue 5 star kids. I wouldn't recommend spending as much time on them as he did this year. But again, I have no problem with him rolling the dice on 5 stars this year. If there was ever a year to do it, it was this year.

With that said, Brey does deserve blame (as others have said) for the recruiting strategy to be content with a class of one (Harvey) in 2017. This resulted in 10 scholarship players on the roster last year and 12 including the walk on's. Players get hurt and we didn't even have enough guys to go 5 on 5 for part of the year last year. That's on Coach Brey. Period.

Of course this recruiting shortfall in 2017 resulted in a great "sales ptich" to the 2018 class and we got some great kids. But that recruiting gap year will cost us this year and next.
ab2cmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #352
Rocket 94
Walk-On

Cash: 509.63
Total Bankroll: 509.63
Donate
Rocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the communityRocket 94 is a leader in the community
Detroit Tigers Chicago Bears Notre Dame

Quote:
- UVA has established itself as a top tier, #1 program. ND has certainly not.
- This is NOT NCAA football recruiting, gap classes happen, a lot. It's part of the game (unless you're a powerhouse / recruit one and done players)
- ND actually has student athletes, most of their competitors do not.
- ND has very little basketball history (relative to most blue bloods) and is labeled a football school.

Look at the Purdue's and IU's... Painter clearly can't establish consistent classes...IU has actually done a really solid job of recruiting, and even then they're still garbage.

It sounds like you want Mike Krzyzewski, that's not what you're going to get. I'm sorry to break that to you.
Notre Dame basketball is #8 all in wins and #11 in winning percentage. In fact they have more wins and a better winning percentage than Indiana does which is a basketball school.

No reason that ND should not be in the same tier as Virginia or even Purdue. Neither schools recruits one and dones and has not recruited all that great anyway.
Rocket 94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #353
Irish YJ
Cannonball Coming

Cash: 675,648,186,341,141.00
Bank: 878,050,414,585,115,776.00
Total Bankroll: 878,726,062,771,456,896.00
Donate
Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Indiana Germany

Quote:
- UVA has established itself as a top tier, #1 program. ND has certainly not.
- This is NOT NCAA football recruiting, gap classes happen, a lot. It's part of the game (unless you're a powerhouse / recruit one and done players)
- ND actually has student athletes, most of their competitors do not.
- ND has very little basketball history (relative to most blue bloods) and is labeled a football school.

Look at the Purdue's and IU's... Painter clearly can't establish consistent classes...IU has actually done a really solid job of recruiting, and even then they're still garbage.

It sounds like you want Mike Krzyzewski, that's not what you're going to get. I'm sorry to break that to you.
IU has only been inside the top 20 recruiting twice in the last 5 years. Not sure I'd call that solid. I'm an IU fan, but IU is not a basketball school anymore. Well they are, but only in tradition.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:41 PM   #354
FightingIrishLover7
All troll, no substance

Cash: 100,388,914.02
Total Bankroll: 100,388,914.02
Donate
FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish YJ View Post
IU has only been inside the top 20 recruiting twice in the last 5 years. Not sure I'd call that solid. I'm an IU fan, but IU is not a basketball school anymore. Well they are, but only in tradition.
Past 5 years have still been slightly better than ND (on average) as a whole.

Go back 5 years before that, IU landed some stud players. Over the past 10 years, IU has certainly had more talent (on paper) than either Purdue or ND. (which is why that program got a new coach, who's also probably overrated).
FightingIrishLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #355
Irish YJ
Cannonball Coming

Donate
Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Past 5 years have still been slightly better than ND (on average) as a whole.

Go back 5 years before that, IU landed some stud players. Over the past 10 years, IU has certainly had more talent (on paper) than either Purdue or ND. (which is why that program got a new coach, who's also probably overrated).
The previous 5 years had two good classes as well. And just like last year's good class, it relies on one-and-done kids (and inflated because of the one and done). Again, not consistent. IU this year has Morgan and Langford. Both are talented, but they have zero shooting around them. They will both be gone at year end, and IU will struggle more next year as no true shooters are incoming.

Not bagging on Archie just yet. Aside from the two I mentioned, there's not much to the team. When one of your team leaders/starters is a walk on, and averages 1 pt per game, you're not going to go to far.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:08 PM   #356
FightingIrishLover7
All troll, no substance

Cash: 100,388,914.02
Total Bankroll: 100,388,914.02
Donate
FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!FightingIrishLover7 should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish YJ View Post
The previous 5 years had two good classes as well. And just like last year's good class, it relies on one-and-done kids (and inflated because of the one and done). Again, not consistent. IU this year has Morgan and Langford. Both are talented, but they have zero shooting around them. They will both be gone at year end, and IU will struggle more next year as no true shooters are incoming.

Not bagging on Archie just yet. Aside from the two I mentioned, there's not much to the team. When one of your team leaders/starters is a walk on, and averages 1 pt per game, you're not going to go to far.
Again, only "good" relative to ND and Purdue, I understand they're not a consistent powerhouse (ala Duke/UK).

As for Archie, I'm just not sold on him. I'd like for IU to do well, I think it's good for the state (although, I'd love for more people to migrate to ND).

I will admit, a lot of suspicions regarding Archie stem from my bias via his brother's facade program.
FightingIrishLover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #357
Irish YJ
Cannonball Coming

Donate

Quote:
Again, only "good" relative to ND and Purdue, I understand they're not a consistent powerhouse (ala Duke/UK).

As for Archie, I'm just not sold on him. I'd like for IU to do well, I think it's good for the state (although, I'd love for more people to migrate to ND).

I will admit, a lot of suspicions regarding Archie stem from my bias via his brother's facade program.
I love and cheer for both ND and IU.
While I will always be an IU fan, they aren't doing what they need to do. Facilities are run down, and Archie had to beg for locker rooms. The admin is pretty hostile to all sports. Their only means of a return to prominence is by a stud coach. I'm giving Archie two more years.

As far as ND goes, I love them, and always will, but recruiting sucks biggly. Call it academic challenges, lack of tradition, etc.. but it sucks. I'm just happy they have a top 20 team every once in a while. They have certainly out performed IU lately. I'm torn on Brey. Could someone else recruit better at ND? IDK. If so, we need to part ways. If not, we need to hold on to him for as long as we can.