Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:17 PM   #1394
Irish#1
Living Your Dream!

Cash: 512,049,197,166.41
Bank: 5,079,428,148,140,930.00
Total Bankroll: 5,079,940,197,338,096.00
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckylucci View Post
Not surprised this would be the response. The answer is there is literally nobody else that is taking reps with the ones that is realistic competition at any of those spots. Not difficult to grasp and not trying to be a dick but it’s like saying McKinley is competing against Claypool. Well yea, in the most naive sense of the word. He takes “reps” at that spot. But there is no competition because he’s not given legitimate reps or has the talent to unseat him.
It's early and given where we were last year, I'm not surprised at who is listed as the starters. We have a LG that wasn't getting a sniff until Barrs went down and even then he didn't get the nod, but after a couple of weeks Banks showed enough to move Rhuland out and now he's the starter and performed quite well given his lack of experience prior. I am very positive about these starters and I don't see any reason not to be. I don't think the center move would have been done if they didn't think it was beneficial. Doesn't mean he can't be moved and Rhuland dropped in at center if need be.

I do miss Harry.
Irish#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 03-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #1395
NDCrusader
Legend

Cash: 101,020,713,100.40
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 101,020,713,100.40
Donate
NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!NDCrusader should be giving advice to Kelly!

Surprised Lugg couldn't ever get in line for OT. Thought for sure he would force Hainsey inside once he caught up with Hainsey in experience. Hainsey had the advantage over every OT prospect in the country being IMG's starting LT for two seasons. At the Opening 2016, Lugg was universally applauded as the #3 or even #2 OT at the Finals. Pretty sure even Jamie at ISD thought that. He had the prototype body for the position.

Surprised that Hainsey is still at RT. Would have been nice to move him inside. I thought he'd have made a great OC/Capt type. Apparently, no one can dethrone him.

Lugg's lack of development at OT is really troublesome. That's two guys who HH couldn't get on track outside, Bars being the first... actually maybe Bivens was the 1st but he did go to ND when MArtin/Stanley/McGlinchey were manning the spots

Patterson going to OC might be the best move for the position but taking away your first OT off the bench hurts. Ruhland obviously has some injury/condition that prohibits him from being the starter, they've said as much.

Is it possible that Patterson is a one year plug at OC until they get Zeke Correll up to speed? He measured in at just 6-3/275 btw.

Too bad Luke Jones couldn't win the OC position or Gibbons for that matter, anything to keep Patterson outside. His HS film was one of the few out there that rivaled NPF when it came to athleticism. In Gibbons case, he does appear to be a solid back up at OG

Too bad Colin Grunhard isn't 6-4/305. He actually was the #2 OC on the depth chart for a few weeks last year. But at 6-1/280, he's just not a realistic option.

So we get a line that looks like:

Eich - Banks - Patt - TK - Hainsey

When I thought it would be:

Eich/Lugg - TK - Hainsey - Banks - Lugg/Eich

I hope they put Carroll at RT and leave him there and the only way he slides inside is if Baker/Christ/Fisher are pure OT's who push him to OG down the road.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #1396
GBdomer
People's Champion

Cash: 501,010,122,735.96
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 501,010,122,735.96
Donate
GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!GBdomer should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago White Sox Chicago Bulls Chicago Bears Chicago Blackhawks Louisiana State Manchester United

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingIrishLover7 View Post
Skeptical, ok, sure.

"very worried"? Back away from the ledge...
I share some of Whiskeys worries. I literally haven't seen a BK offense that has been the same. 9 years and it's literally been 9 different offenses to start the season. No one on the outside scares you at all, no RB has proven they can carry the load. The way we recruit the O line we should just be able to physically dominate teams and that Oline didn't do it last year. I think they took a step back last year without Heistand and no lock down Oline guy where we are like we have a dude here. Eich and Hainsey looked that way at times and then they also didn't look that way many times.

Sure Lenzy, Austin and Claypool might be able to get open downfield and open up or offense. Will Book be able to make those throws? Didn't really show it to much last year. Can Armstrong stay healthy and be a focal point in this offense? He should it at times last year and then he was also dinged up and missed some games. If Armstrong goes down I honestly think we are in major trouble there. I don't even wanna think about having 4.8 Tony Jones and Cbo or Jahmir Smith being our primary runners. They don't scare you and won't scare other offenses. I think the way we have recruited skill position players might really show up this year. It's been good but not even close to the way we have recruited other sides of the football. I'm not saying the sky is falling but what whiskey is saying I believe has some truth to it.

Last edited by GBdomer; 03-15-2019 at 05:36 PM..
GBdomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:05 PM   #1397
Rocket89
Uniform Connoisseur

Cash: 16,528.30
Bank: 22,204,468,914,382,676.00
Total Bankroll: 22,204,468,914,399,204.00
Donate
Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rocket89 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame Tottenham Hotspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckylucci View Post
Well, a couple months back I shared the view that with 6-7 guys competing, plugging and playing the best guys, at the best spots, gave us a chance to dramatically improve. And, that may still happen.

However, we did virtually none of what was expected or talked about. We took our most promising OT prospect and immediately made him the starter at OC. We've taken Lugg (the other back up OT) and have him playing LG. So there is literally nobody that could challenge or compete with Eich or Hainsey at OT. And Kraemer has "lost weight and is moving better". Really? That is the solution to fix the OL problems. It very well could work out but that seems like a pathetic attempt at fixing the situation. It actually sounds like we're concerned about hurting feelings versus fielding the most competitive OL.
A few thoughts...

1) If they're really high on Patterson at center I think you're glossing over the fact that this is a huge, huge need for the 2019 line. Sure competition at tackle would be nice but not as much as Patterson solidifying a position that needs a new starter and was going to be a major question mark this off-season. Coming out of spring with a full unit ready for fall camp feels really important for this team.

2) I agree the quality depth isn't super promising especially given the amount of bodies on the roster. But at the same time, if there isn't a lot of quality depth do we really want to start shuffling guys around? Maybe that works out but it also could backfire.

3) Depth and competition are overrated in the sense that the OL almost always relies on a very small amount of guys every year. That's just the way it goes. It's probably the one position with the least "real" competition.

4) It was very unrealistic to expect the 4 returning starters to get challenged in practice. Doesn't sound great on paper sometimes but the most likely route to the 2019 getting better is Eichnberg/Banks/Kraemer/Hainsey staying at their positions, getting more reps, and improving their cohesion.

5) It seems like they decided pretty early last year that Lugg wasn't a tackle anymore. I'm guilty of thinking some shuffling would be better, too. Yet, it doesn't really make sense for Lugg to "challenge" Eichenberg or Hainsey when they don't like him at that position anymore. Maybe Patterson was that guy but they like him better at center, what are you going to do? If you moved Hainsey to center you'd better really like someone else to fill his shoes at tackle. I'm fine with them thinking that wasn't going to happen for a 2-year starter.

6) IMO, Carroll and Kristofic are the future at tackle. Neither will be needed until 2021. We might as well start getting them quality practice work now. That development won't get headlines during this spring ball but it's still important.
Rocket89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:31 PM   #1398
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 40,051,950,985.41
Bank: 12,660,155,687,656,348.00
Total Bankroll: 12,660,195,739,607,334.00
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

Yes+
Old Man Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #1399
Some Irish Bloke
Five foot nothin'

Cash: 2,414.88
Bank: 154,981,119.22
Total Bankroll: 154,983,534.09
Donate
Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!Some Irish Bloke should be giving advice to Kelly!
Detroit Tigers Detroit Pistons Green Bay Packers Detroit Red Wings Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
FWIW, I'm very optimistic about Lea and the defense. Right now, I'm expecting a 9-3 record for 2019, and I think all three losses will be squarely on Chip Long's offense.
I'm the exact opposite, and that's not a knock on Lea.

Improvement on the OL is almost a guaranteed certain from the experience we are bringing back with that unit. Any regression in running game will probably be from the lack of a home run threat in Dex's departure, but I like what I saw from Jafar last year to be our "feature" back with TJ and one to emerge from Jahmir Smith, C'Bo, or Kyren Williams change pace. Armstrong needs to stay healthy and be durable for our production to be what it was last year; certainly not a given.

Your concern with BK's history with second year starters is warranted, but I think Book will tell a different story this fall. He's too consistent/efficient as a passer, and he can't get much worse throwing deep balls. Improvement can be expected there, especially with more speed on the perimeter with the younger WRs.

The young potential is promising on Defense but we are replacing too much production and experience to expect an improvement from last year IMO.

Last edited by Some Irish Bloke; 03-18-2019 at 09:43 AM..
Some Irish Bloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #1400
Veritate Duce Progredi
You bray like an ass!

Cash: 9,667,606,570.89
Bank: 4,261,864,129,481,162.00
Total Bankroll: 4,261,873,797,087,734.00
Donate
Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!Veritate Duce Progredi should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Irish Bloke View Post
I'm the exact opposite, and that's not a knock on Lea.

Improvement on the OL is almost a guaranteed certain from the experience we are bringing back with that unit. Any regression in running game will probably be from the lack of a home run threat in Dex's departure, but I like what I saw from Jafar last year to be our "feature" back with TJ and one to emerge from Jahmir Smith, C'Bo, or Kyren Williams change pace. Armstrong needs to stay healthy and be durable for our production to be what it was last year; certainly not a given.

Your concern with BK's history with second year starters is warranted, but I think Book will tell a different story this fall. He's too consistent/efficient as a passer, and he can't get much worse throwing deep balls. Improvement can be expected there, especially with more speed on the perimeter with the younger WRs.

The young potential is promising on Defense but we are replacing too much production and experience to expect an improvement from last year IMO.
I would expect the defense to regress but this also Lea's 2nd year with it being the 3rd year of Elko/Lea's system in place. You can usually expect good things in the 3rd/4th year of a coach's tenure.

They've recruited very well defensively over the last 3 cycles. We should see a competent defense but a great defense will require some journeymen to emerge or some frosh/sophs to become big time players for us.

We lost 4 defenders who'll be drafted. Two of which could go in the 1st round (Love, Tillery)

We need our DEs to take another step into the elite stratosphere. We need another lockdown corner and we need our interior to find answers.

Offensively, I expect a small uptick in production. Boykin/Dex were big losses. Bars was a loss as well but he already know what the line looked like without him.

It's hard to imagine an older, more experienced OL unit regressing. Accurate, returning QB and lots of WR potential. The RB position is a reasonable question mark.

The TEs are primed for a big year as well.

Can't wait for Thursday/Saturday reports to begin.
Veritate Duce Progredi is offline   Reply With Quote