Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Athletics
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #22
Section20Row27
Walk-On

Cash: 3,453.73
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 3,453.73
Donate
Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!Section20Row27 should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish YJ View Post
Unless there is someone on the board that can provide behind the scenes unbiased info, I can't begin to be upset over this. Long tenure these days is a rarity if it's not a union type situation. Might be a good thing for him, and/or for ND. Might not. Sometimes things don't work out, and people need to go on to new things. This doesn't scream to me of anything that bad. Not always a fan of JS, but it's a job, and sometimes changes happen. I wish him luck and success. An I truly appreciate all he's done. I'm sure he can do great things elsewhere if that's what he desires.
i am upset. I had an employee who worked at my plant for 40 years. This person had medical issues, but also was just not that good at his job. I could have very easily fired him for not being able to do the job, but I didn't because the man WORKED 40 YEARS AT THE SAME PLACE! He passed away this fall. At his funeral over half of the eulogy was about how he felt at worked. Sometimes you have to do what is right - not just what you have to do to make money.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-13-2019, 09:47 PM   #23
Irish YJ
Cannonball Coming

Cash: 675,649,186,309,563.00
Bank: 382,218,970,410,440,192.00
Total Bankroll: 382,894,619,596,749,760.00
Donate
Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Indiana Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTusker View Post
Long tenures are quite common at ND, and not only among faculty..
Long tenures can be good and bad. When they are good, it's great to embrace. When it's not so good or bad, it's just a tough situation. Overall, unions, schools, and other areas where long tenure is common place, are not the norm in today's work place. We talk all the time about embracing change, and using competition to bring out peak performance. How can we use those analogies one place, and discount them in another.

Again, I don't know the situation, but without detail, I can't get cast a stone one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section20Row27 View Post
i am upset. I had an employee who worked at my plant for 40 years. This person had medical issues, but also was just not that good at his job. I could have very easily fired him for not being able to do the job, but I didn't because the man WORKED 40 YEARS AT THE SAME PLACE! He passed away this fall. At his funeral over half of the eulogy was about how he felt at worked. Sometimes you have to do what is right - not just what you have to do to make money.
I've had many bosses, and thousands of employees in my 25 years of working. I don't know his situation or why the decision was made. I'm guessing, no one on the board does either. I do know, I've had many situations where employees with many years became complacent, didn't like new direction, didn't perform well when duties changed, etc.. And, I've had many employees with long years change for the better with new duties, or new leadership, or new direction. I just think it's unfair to judge a situation when we don't have facts.

The situation you speak of above is very different. I've rewarded loyalty and service over the years a plenty. I've also had to make some very tough decisions to go in a different direction. Just about every situation is unique. And I'm sure this one is not as simple as a crappy AD cutting a long time employee.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #24
Circa
Conspire to keep It real

Cash: 143,070,325,622.12
Bank: 553,053,928,932,694.19
Total Bankroll: 553,196,999,258,316.25
Donate
Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!
Pittsburgh Pirates Cleveland Cavaliers San Francisco 49ers Pittsburgh Penguins Notre Dame 20 - Tony Stewart Liverpool USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section20Row27 View Post
This isn't the business of screwing bolts into gears. This Is a business that complacency can kill something some will never understand.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:20 PM   #25
Circa
Conspire to keep It real

Cash: 143,070,325,622.12
Bank: 553,053,928,932,694.19
Total Bankroll: 553,196,999,258,316.25
Donate
Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!
Pittsburgh Pirates Cleveland Cavaliers San Francisco 49ers Pittsburgh Penguins Notre Dame 20 - Tony Stewart Liverpool USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTusker View Post
There weren't a variety of feelings about him, nor was he polarizing. He wrote articles like this and this and this. Interesting, inoffensive, etc., items about ND athletics. He was an ND institution and Swarbrick mishandled this badly.

Long tenures are quite common at ND, and not only among faculty.

SEC ties? Because he went to Mizzou? "Rid ourselves of something"? Appallingly cheap way of discussing an older man who has worked for ND for a long time.
If you know, then please explain. Cheap, Is the ridiculous manner our program has been infiltrated and takin advantage of. I hope he had nothing to do with the bad publicity.... But he seems to be the one who gave the publicity.....

People do get fired for frivolous reasons. Corporations do get sued for frivolous firings. I'm sure JS had enough, and his interview told me this much a few weeks ago.

Last edited by Circa; 01-13-2019 at 10:23 PM..
Circa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #26
RDU Irish
Catholics vs. Cousins

Cash: 1,832,400,362,056.06
Bank: 1,312,412,316,004.99
Total Bankroll: 3,144,812,678,061.05
Donate
RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Bears Notre Dame

I just want to know if he got to keep his red stapler.

The pro side is plenty vocal - I wouldn't doubt he has been a leaker for years which has led to more an more marginalization. Can be hard to prove leading to a long dance. To say it is about money is comical. Also to say he "is not of retirement age" is silly for someone finishing 41 years on the job. One year at Mizzou prior to ND would put him at minimum 22+42 = 64
RDU Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 AM   #27
RDU Irish
Catholics vs. Cousins

Cash: 1,832,400,362,056.06
Bank: 1,312,412,316,004.99
Total Bankroll: 3,144,812,678,061.05
Donate
RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!RDU Irish should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Bears Notre Dame

Loose lips sink ships. My speculation based completely on the situation - no inside knowledge.
RDU Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #28
Rogue219
Freshman

Cash: 1,987.85
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 1,987.85
Donate
Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!Rogue219 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Pittsburgh Pirates San Antonio Spurs Pittsburgh Steelers Pittsburgh Penguins West Virginia Liverpool USA

It's my understanding he kept a lot of people on the fence or pulled them back to the fence when Declan Sullivan died tragically. He had a way of keeping people in check with regards to ND. Did a lot for the image of the athletic program, athletic department, school, etc.

I have a lot of ND books where he has written the forward or contributed in some way. I'm sure he'll be missed by those closer to the school and athletic offices. Ultimately, as fans, do we miss this terribly?

I don't really know what to make of how or why he was let go, but after some checking, I really have not seen a bad word about him thus far.

Comes as a shock, especially for a fan base that doesn't exactly handle change well.
Rogue219 is offline   Reply With Quote