Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:24 PM   #183
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 40,051,952,879.17
Bank: 13,435,058,496,986,416.00
Total Bankroll: 13,435,098,548,939,294.00
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

Hello again gentlemen.

I looked ahead at these people's schedule and the next episode appears to be (allegedly) based upon the 1952 "Flatwoods Monster" incident. That makes good TV sense too, as ,properly altered, the story could be molded into a mimi-horror movie.

If anyone wants to know about the actual case, alongside viewing the dramatized fiction, I wrote a small blog entry on the thing in 2011. My blog was called The Big Study, as I wanted to use it to study more than just the accepted textbook universe but mainly the "forbidden topics" of the bigger anomalies-infested universe. Googling The Big Study still gets one there even though the blog has ceased about four years ago. The actual address is thebiggeststudy.blogspot.com --- my Godson/nephew set this up for me as he wanted the world to be able to read what his weird uncle was discovering. "The Big Study" was taken, so he adjusted the formal name.

The entry for Flatwoods was published 4/11/11. About half the entries are on what I'm well known for (UFO research and history), but half are on "other weird stuff." The blog had over a million hits, and still grinds along at about a hundred a day. No advertising so I never made a dime, and didn't regret it.

I'll still watch their Flatwoods show, and probably say a little something later.
Old Man Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM   #184
NDdomer2
I'll Allow it

Cash: 49.00
Bank: 14,822,642,956,874,899,456.00
Total Bankroll: 14,822,642,956,874,899,456.00
Donate
NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDdomer2 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Los Angeles Lakers Detroit Red Wings Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish#1 View Post
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. amirite? lol
'merica don't care bout dem fax
Old 01-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #185
no.1IrishFan
Team MVP

Cash: 4,999,981,355.39
Bank: 2,471,088.34
Total Bankroll: 5,002,452,443.73
Donate
no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!no.1IrishFan should be giving advice to Kelly!
Arizona Diamondbacks Miami Dolphins Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by koonja View Post
I've been researching and here's what I understand in comparing these telescopes.

Both essentially the same, but one comes with a table set up (seems inconvenient) and the other a traditional tripod. The scope is the same, but the lens are different, which results in different magnification if I'm understanding this correctly.

450 Focal Length of the scope, and lens FL of 17mm and 6mm. Using the calculation, I get 27x magnification (450/17mm) and 75x (450/6mm).

Am I understanding this correctly? What is the aperture then (114mm on this piece)? And is that good for this price?

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-10015-S...=4.5+telescope

Then this one is essentially the same scope, but the lens is different. I'm wondering if this is worth getting instead.

450 Focal Length of scope. But the lens are 25mm and 10mm. So this gives me magnification of 18x and 45x, but it has a 2x shorty zoom, so the magnification is actually 36x and 90x making it more powerful than the above.

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-StarBla...YJ1GJW2QGPDZE3

The last one I'm looking at (and know less about) is this one. It claims a focal length of 1,000 mm, which seems fraudulent because that's huge. So I'm skeptical of this one, but it seems like it may be a good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-310...elescope&psc=1
Broke mans astronomer here.

My first and most important question is, what do you want to do and see with the scope?

For instance, the first scope you are looking at is a good beginner scope if you are just wanting to look out a window or set up a small table in the backyard. The lack of a portable mount will make something like this difficult to level on non-flat surfaces. At your price point there are better deals to be had, imo. However, it will do just fine viewing the moon, planets and stars on dark nights.

My best advice is to do what I did. Go to a star party with your local astronomy club and look thru different scopes. Members set up their scopes and are happy to let you view thru them. I had my heart set on a 12inch dobsonian reflector before I viewed the sky thru different scopes at a star party. Being that I live in a great state for stargazing I decided to go with a much smaller scope that met my needs for viewing but didn't require a a forklift to take it anywhere. I have Celestron Nexstar 5 on an equitorial mount with "go-to'. At your price point you probably won't get a go-to scope unless it's used. To be honest though, having a standard scope really helps you learn the sky better. It took me forever to get a basic understanding of the sky because I'm so reliant on pushing a couple buttons.

Definitely recommend looking thru a few before purchasing, but the second Astromaster you listed and the Orion are very fine entry level scopes.

Last edited by no.1IrishFan; 01-10-2019 at 08:37 PM..
no.1IrishFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #186
Irish YJ
Cannonball Coming

Cash: 675,648,186,324,176.00
Bank: 524,704,738,793,903,936.00
Total Bankroll: 525,380,386,980,228,160.00
Donate
Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Indiana Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by koonja View Post
I've been researching and here's what I understand in comparing these telescopes.

Both essentially the same, but one comes with a table set up (seems inconvenient) and the other a traditional tripod. The scope is the same, but the lens are different, which results in different magnification if I'm understanding this correctly.

450 Focal Length of the scope, and lens FL of 17mm and 6mm. Using the calculation, I get 27x magnification (450/17mm) and 75x (450/6mm).

Am I understanding this correctly? What is the aperture then (114mm on this piece)? And is that good for this price?

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-10015-S...=4.5+telescope

Then this one is essentially the same scope, but the lens is different. I'm wondering if this is worth getting instead.

450 Focal Length of scope. But the lens are 25mm and 10mm. So this gives me magnification of 18x and 45x, but it has a 2x shorty zoom, so the magnification is actually 36x and 90x making it more powerful than the above.

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-StarBla...YJ1GJW2QGPDZE3

The last one I'm looking at (and know less about) is this one. It claims a focal length of 1,000 mm, which seems fraudulent because that's huge. So I'm skeptical of this one, but it seems like it may be a good deal.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-310...elescope&psc=1
will bow to others who have them, but i've looked into getting one off and on over the years, and have a neighbor who's really into them.

first, check out craigslist. i found some great deals, which my neighbor jumped on a few. also, like no.1 said, go to your local astronomy club. there's likely even a UFO club or too as well. you'll get to try some out, but they are also always selling theirs and trading up... lastly, make sure you get a spotter scope.

my neighbor has spent a lot over the years. he's had several with hookups to his laptop that allows him to vid/photo, which came in handy. i know there are some easy smart phone adapters these days as well.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #187
Old Man Mike
Fast as Lightning!

Cash: 40,051,952,879.17
Bank: 13,435,058,496,986,416.00
Total Bankroll: 13,435,098,548,939,294.00
Donate
Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!Old Man Mike should be giving advice to Kelly!

I watched the second Project Blue Book program --- OUCH!! Really bad. Hard to find anything related to the actual case.

Rather than reciting all the program's stupidities, I'll just briefly say what the case actually was:

1. a trail of light was seen. and a bunch of boys followed over a hill. There they saw something and one of them ran back to get Mrs. May, one of the boy's mother. She and a couple more kids came over quickly.

2. what they saw was a tall machine-like thing --- maybe ten foot maybe +/- 2. The thing had a dome top with two beams shooting out forwards --- at no time did the thing "look" at anyone. It seemed to glide down the hill toward another bigger light red glowing object. No clawed arms existed --- just a barrel body.

3. no one could tell, but the thing must have gone inside the larger object (and supposedly away.)

4. investigations were made by two civilians separately (Gray Barker of Clarksburg, WV --- later became a joker, but this was his first field investigation and it was surprisingly well done.) (And the second by Ivan Sanderson, who also did a good field investigation --- I have his original files.) A third investigation was by the National Guard, of which we only have incomplete documents. There must have been a fourth investigation secretly, as Major Dewey Fournet of the Pentagon wrote an impatient document to some military test lab demanding that soil samples from the site be reported to him and compared with a second site which had roots apparently "microwaved" beneath the soil. This is quite interesting --- way more that the invented crap the TV program is pushing.

5. Flatwoods has never been explained, but gave the USAF no public problems since it was sensationalized enough that no one way back in 1952 believed it. Mrs. May and her son stayed firm and accurate with their stories for decades thereafter.

6. Hynek never had anything to do with this case.
Old Man Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #188
Irish#1
Living Your Dream!

Cash: 512,049,197,465.84
Bank: 5,284,637,045,325,823.00
Total Bankroll: 5,285,149,094,523,289.00
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

I like to read your posts, then watch the episode.
Irish#1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #189
Circa
Conspire to keep It real

Cash: 143,070,327,218.99
Bank: 701,406,107,319,466.38
Total Bankroll: 701,549,177,646,685.38
Donate
Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!
Pittsburgh Pirates Cleveland Cavaliers San Francisco 49ers Pittsburgh Penguins Notre Dame 20 - Tony Stewart Liverpool USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Mike View Post
Hello again gentlemen.

I looked ahead at these people's schedule and the next episode appears to be (allegedly) based upon the 1952 "Flatwoods Monster" incident. That makes good TV sense too, as ,properly altered, the story could be molded into a mimi-horror movie.

If anyone wants to know about the actual case, alongside viewing the dramatized fiction, I wrote a small blog entry on the thing in 2011. My blog was called The Big Study, as I wanted to use it to study more than just the accepted textbook universe but mainly the "forbidden topics" of the bigger anomalies-infested universe. Googling The Big Study still gets one there even though the blog has ceased about four years ago. The actual address is thebiggeststudy.blogspot.com --- my Godson/nephew set this up for me as he wanted the world to be able to read what his weird uncle was discovering. "The Big Study" was taken, so he adjusted the formal name.

The entry for Flatwoods was published 4/11/11. About half the entries are on what I'm well known for (UFO research and history), but half are on "other weird stuff." The blog had over a million hits, and still grinds along at about a hundred a day. No advertising so I never made a dime, and didn't regret it.

I'll still watch their Flatwoods show, and probably say a little something later.
Really cool blog. I just saw your post and then read a bit. It's heady information and not for my tired mind at the moment. I'm gonna definitely read all in the next day or 2.
One thing that piqued my interest was a very early statement about Proctor. Are you speaking of a Proctor in WV?