Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football > Notre Dame Game Day
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:19 PM   #36
Dizzyphil
Senior

Cash: 94,047.90
Bank: 39,781,293,748,225.34
Total Bankroll: 39,781,293,842,273.24
Donate
Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Boston Celtics Tennessee Titans Pittsburgh Penguins Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish YJ View Post
I'm with you in spirt, with conditions.

I don't mind getting young pups in the mix, but not wholesale. And not that early.

I don't see why not, especially on offense.... let them get some real-time, game-time reps... keep the TE's in and get a couple of the 1st/2nd year WRs in there to see what they can do... we need them.

QB - Book needs to play like he did vs USF. He still needs to work on a lot of things, and the biggest thing is, he needs to build chemistry with WRs.

IMO, Book is as good as he's going to get. He can control/run the offense but he is not a deep threat. Let's see what the back-ups can if needed in a 'pinch'.

WR - I'm OK with getting some young high potential guys like Johnson and Watts in, but not go overboard with the rest. We really need WRs to step up and emerge. Not having an alpha WR1, or really even knowing who 2 or 3 is either, is concerning.

Agreed

RB - I'm fine with resting guys like KW and Tyree with a heavy rotation.

Agreed

OL - Not rotating these guys until we have a comfy lead. They played awful at times in game 1, and I'd like to know if their improvements in game 2, were actually improvements, instead of just playing a bad USF.

Ok - OLine is different. There needs to be uniformity, cohesion, and repetition... but, this is a game where a rotation or two could help the youngsters in case someone goes down for a play or two....

Defense - already have a ton of rotation and young pups getting PT. And really, when is the last time we were talking about 3 or 4 frosh playing on D this early in the year. I don't think I can recall seeing this amount of frosh (and soph) getting substantial snaps.

Agreed but - it was mostly second half of the USF game... the line was the most rotated (of course - always is) lets get some DBs and LBs in there to see where they stand
Dizzyphil is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 09-21-2020, 10:22 PM   #37
Dizzyphil
Senior

Donate
Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!Dizzyphil should be giving advice to Kelly!

Outside of Kiser and Lamb
Old 09-21-2020, 11:04 PM   #38
Irish YJ
Cannonball Coming

Cash: 15,834,798,523,620,936.00
Bank: 86,633,831,486,722,392,064.00
Total Bankroll: 86,649,666,285,246,005,248.00
Donate
Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Indiana Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyphil View Post
Agreed but - it was mostly second half of the USF game... the line was the most rotated (of course - always is) lets get some DBs and LBs in there to see where they stand
When you use the word cohesion for the OL, you need to think in those terms with QB and WR too. While I do think Book can improve some in general, it's not about "him" really improving. It's about the chemistry between the QB and WR improving. Right now there's not a lot of it. He's got mostly new guys. AD has bounced around everywhere and is still raw at the position itself. A grad transfer from NW lol. McKinley isn't even close to a poor man's Chase.

This is our last "tune up" chance before we get into FSU, Ville, @Pitt, and @GT. That's our lead up to Clemson. Our schedule actually sets up nice for us, but if we're still dorking around without a legit #1 and #2 WR when we go on the road to Pitt, things could go south for our season quickly.

On D, we've had more early rotation at LB and DB than you think.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #39
Dizzyphil
Senior

Donate

Quote:
When you use the word cohesion for the OL, you need to think in those terms with QB and WR too. While I do think Book can improve some in general, it's not about "him" really improving. It's about the chemistry between the QB and WR improving. Right now there's not a lot of it. He's got mostly new guys. AD has bounced around everywhere and is still raw at the position itself. A grad transfer from NW lol. McKinley isn't even close to a poor man's Chase.

I say this because with PJ gone, there needs to be someone 'at-the-ready' and the Irish do not have that like in the past. So this game, like you stated, is setting up nice for the next opponents and there needs to be some back-up QB play but in pressure, non-cushion, lead instances. The Irish are one play away from Book not being able to finish/start a game.

This is our last "tune up" chance before we get into FSU, Ville, @Pitt, and @GT. That's our lead up to Clemson. Our schedule actually sets up nice for us, but if we're still dorking around without a legit #1 and #2 WR when we go on the road to Pitt, things could go south for our season quickly.

On D, we've had more early rotation at LB and DB than you think.

Actually - I am... maybe my point didn't come across right as far as rotating 'new' guys. Yes, I know the line has been rotated, it usually is throughout every year, but the Irish DBs and LBs need to be tested as well but move some safety's to the outside and the DBs to the inside - along with young subs in case there is a situation such as the 'Play-off Irish/Clemson game where the injury was basically the difference in the game.

I agree with what and where you are going, but this is a game where the Irish SHOULD be able to do these subs/changes early and test them.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:40 PM   #40
Irish YJ
Cannonball Coming

Cash: 15,834,798,523,620,936.00
Bank: 86,633,831,486,722,392,064.00
Total Bankroll: 86,649,666,285,246,005,248.00
Donate
Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish YJ should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago Cubs Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Indiana Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzyphil View Post
Actually - I am... maybe my point didn't come across right as far as rotating 'new' guys. Yes, I know the line has been rotated, it usually is throughout every year, but the Irish DBs and LBs need to be tested as well but move some safety's to the outside and the DBs to the inside - along with young subs in case there is a situation such as the 'Play-off Irish/Clemson game where the injury was basically the difference in the game.

I agree with what and where you are going, but this is a game where the Irish SHOULD be able to do these subs/changes early and test them.
I'm good with any sub getting in, just not early unless we're steam rolling.

Not sure I agree at LB. We've got a very solid and deep groups there with a lot of snaps already. MIKE is almost a co-starter situation. WILL is 3, maybe 4 quality deep. Rover is fine too. At DB, the only #2s I'm worried about are Hart and Brown at FS and BCB, and Brown's already been thrust into action with Kyle banged up. The other 3 DB spots are fine. I would like to see Wallace a bit more though.

At QB though. Unless it's Clark, to me it doesn't matter. If Book goes down and Clark is not available, things won't matter lol. Not sure what Clark's situation is, but hope he's back. Happy to get him 2nd half reps.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #41
Dizzyphil
Senior

Donate

Quote:
I'm good with any sub getting in, just not early unless we're steam rolling.

Not sure I agree at LB. We've got a very solid and deep groups there with a lot of snaps already. MIKE is almost a co-starter situation. WILL is 3, maybe 4 quality deep. Rover is fine too. At DB, the only #2s I'm worried about are Hart and Brown at FS and BCB, and Brown's already been thrust into action with Kyle banged up. The other 3 DB spots are fine. I would like to see Wallace a bit more though.

At QB though. Unless it's Clark, to me it doesn't matter. If Book goes down and Clark is not available, things won't matter lol. Not sure what Clark's situation is, but hope he's back. Happy to get him 2nd half reps.

yep!
Old 09-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #42
greyhammer90
the drunk piano player

Cash: 1,915,866,314,386,224.00
Bank: 514,051,602,516,194,689,024.00
Total Bankroll: 514,053,518,382,509,064,192.00
Donate
greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Memphis Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators

Practice might be cancelled today.

Funnier than you in 2012.
greyhammer90 is offline   Reply With Quote