Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Notre Dame Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives > 2011 Recruiting Profiles
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #3361
Whiskeyjack
Mittere Margaritas Ante Porcos
 
Whiskeyjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 18,499
Cash: 5,000,240,287.55
Bank: 10,643,828,322,940,956,672.00
Total Bankroll: 10,643,828,327,941,197,824.00
Donate
Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!Whiskeyjack should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame




Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhammer90 View Post
Don't personally care. The flag represents about a million things to millions of people. Our country is proudly individualistic and distrustful of authority (or was). The attempt to make the flag a sacred cow that needs to be respected because of some built-in authority or obligation to the union kind of misses the point of the whole thing IMO.
__________________
Whiskeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 07-31-2020, 03:03 PM   #3362
greyhammer90
the drunk piano player
 
greyhammer90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,767
Cash: 1,915,866,314,382,051.00
Bank: 262,180,795,868,688,842,752.00
Total Bankroll: 262,182,711,735,003,217,920.00
Donate
greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Memphis Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators




Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
.
But no apple pie?
__________________

Funnier than you in 2012.
greyhammer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:19 PM   #3363
NDLightning35
Junior
 
NDLightning35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,120
Cash: 93,026.09
Bank: 267,094,093,040,993.09
Total Bankroll: 267,094,093,134,019.19
Donate
NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!NDLightning35 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Boston Red Sox Pittsburgh Steelers Notre Dame USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDFAN View Post
i have never understood anyone getting upset over a flag....i mean no disrespect to anyone who has served(i have many family members who are active duty), i just understand how some piece of cloth gets people so riled up...seems silly to me...i guess i just look at this argument like i tell my kids all the time....ignore whatever it is that their brother or sister are doing and they will stop...the fact people get so up in arms regarding this, just continues to make it a bigger issue
As an active duty service member, I don't give a damn if people want to alter it or do whatever. But also I don't think anybody should give a **** about any single active duty service member's opinion as if it's a monolithic group with monolithic ideals. Honestly the thing that probably pisses active duty or veteran military members the most is pointing to the opinion of one active duty service member saying 'He doesn't think its offensive, therefore its not offensive'. Just my $0.02
__________________
“The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war.”
― Hyman G. Rickover
NDLightning35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:31 PM   #3364
Domina Nostra
Team MVP
 
Domina Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,361
Cash: 905,096,566,051.93
Bank: 152,508,631,303,707.25
Total Bankroll: 153,413,727,869,759.19
Donate
Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!Domina Nostra should be giving advice to Kelly!
Baltimore Orioles Baltimore Ravens Notre Dame

I'm all for Tuitt. Standing against the crowd requires courage. Standing with the crowd does not. Tuitt has courage, and he's right. This is an excellent country, despite its faults.

It would be better if athletes kept their political opinions to themselves. It's s form of escape from normal life, and the talk risks ruining it.

If you fell you need to talk, do it off the field. ESPN will DEFINITLY give you a HUGE platform. Keep the game day free of politics. The idea that on the field is your only chance to express yourself is LAZY nonsense.

I could even take a one time gesture. But the every game nonsense has pushed me to the brink. I doubt I'll be watching pro sports this year.

And Colin Kaep is a pure sell-out. Making yourself a social justice icon is one thing. Cashing in on it directly is pretty pathetic. But putting your SJ image on Nike apparel, when their stuff is made by people who have no rights is literally unconscionable. Get a clue.

And as for the flag just being a piece of cloth, that's nonsense. They wouldn't be doing it, and no one would be reacting, if it was just a piece of cloth. It's not complicated. It's a symbol. It stands for the country. As a symbol it allows us to show honor to the country, or to disparage it. If someone disparages it, don't confuse your apathy with some kind of level-headed virtue. It's just apathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDLightning35 View Post
As an active duty service member, I don't give a damn if people want to alter it or do whatever. But also I don't think anybody should give a **** about any single active duty service member's opinion as if it's a monolithic group with monolithic ideals. Honestly the thing that probably pisses active duty or veteran military members the most is pointing to the opinion of one active duty service member saying 'He doesn't think its offensive, therefore its not offensive'. Just my $0.02
Right. You should care about an active duty service member's opinion, as one active duty service man's opinion. You should care about one veteran's opinion as one veteran's opinion. You should respect it because people who have served the country deserve some respect. But there is are a whole lot of different opinions among the troops--and there are even a few bad apples.

Last edited by Domina Nostra; 07-31-2020 at 04:39 PM..
Domina Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #3365
greyhammer90
the drunk piano player
 
greyhammer90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11,767
Cash: 1,915,866,314,382,051.00
Bank: 262,180,795,868,688,842,752.00
Total Bankroll: 262,182,711,735,003,217,920.00
Donate
greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Memphis Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators




Quote:
Originally Posted by Domina Nostra View Post
I'm all for Tuitt. Standing against the crowd requires courage. Standing with the crowd does not. Tuitt has courage, and he's right. This is an excellent country, despite its faults.

It would be better if athletes kept their political opinions to themselves. It's s form of escape from normal life, and the talk risks ruining it.

If you fell you need to talk, do it off the field. ESPN will DEFINITLY give you a HUGE platform. Keep the game day free of politics. The idea that on the field is your only chance to express yourself is LAZY nonsense.
At the risk of getting into an argument over something that I really don't feel that strongly about, this argument has never made any sense to me. Until 2009, no NFL player stood for the national anthem because players actually stayed in the locker room as the anthem played. The players were moved to the field during the national anthem because it was seen as a marketing strategy to make the athletes look more patriotic. The United States Department of Defense paid the National Football League $5.4 million between 2011 and 2014, and the National Guard $6.7 million between 2013 and 2015 to stage onfield patriotic ceremonies as part of military-recruitment budget line items.

So if you're as passionate about keeping political statements out of sports as you claim, you should've been banging this drum in 2009. It appears that the issue isn't that it's politics invading the sacred gameday, but more that it's not your politics.
__________________

Funnier than you in 2012.
greyhammer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:06 AM   #3366
NDohio
Starter
 
NDohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Camden, SC
Posts: 3,904
Cash: 79,102,367.92
Bank: 160,085,969,634,065,280.00
Total Bankroll: 160,085,969,713,167,648.00
Donate
NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!NDohio should be giving advice to Kelly!
Cincinnati Reds Denver  Broncos Tottenham Hotspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDFAN View Post
i have never understood anyone getting upset over a flag....i mean no disrespect to anyone who has served(i have many family members who are active duty), i just understand how some piece of cloth gets people so riled up...seems silly to me...i guess i just look at this argument like i tell my kids all the time....ignore whatever it is that their brother or sister are doing and they will stop...the fact people get so up in arms regarding this, just continues to make it a bigger issue
Kinda like a mask?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinirish View Post
next thing you'll be asking for posters on here to return their US flag underpants
Had a friend get arrested and kicked out of Ohio State back in the 80s for wearing a flag on Halloween...He is a lawyer now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhammer90 View Post
Don't personally care. The flag represents about a million things to millions of people. Our country is proudly individualistic and distrustful of authority (or was). The attempt to make the flag a sacred cow that needs to be respected because of some built-in authority or obligation to the union kind of misses the point of the whole thing IMO.
If the flag already represents individuality why the need to individualize it by altering it?
NDohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:27 PM   #3367
Crazy Balki
Site Assigned Optimist
 
Crazy Balki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,807
Cash: 15,000,244,387.39
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 15,000,244,387.39
Donate
Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!Crazy Balki should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish Leppy 22 View Post
Keep crying tears for Kap. No one in America is allowed to stage political protests at work in uniform. All Kap got out of it was a mutimillion endorsement from Nike to play martyr.

What you won't hear from anyone is the absolute hypocrisy of this reality: Nike uses slave labor in China to make products endorsed by Kap and sold to the masses. But yeah...he's an oppressed minority in America. GTFO.
It's a little weird how the common defense for Kaep's protest is that "it's not meant to disrespect the flag", yet this is the same guy who claimed that the 4th of July, aka. our Independence Day, is a celebration of white supremacy. Seems pretty disrespectful to me.

Also, the same guy who apparently thought it was a good idea to wear a Fidel Castro shirt to an interview during game week...in Miami.
__________________
It's Just a Ride.
Crazy Balki is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump




Copyright © 2004 - 2013 IrishEnvy.com. All Rights Reserved. All material on this Notre Dame Fighting Irish discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Notre Dame, the Big East Conference or the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting. SEO by vBSEO 3.7.4