Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Outside The Lines > The Leprechaun Lounge
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:30 PM   #4243
TorontoGold
Freshman

Cash: 61.16
Bank: 4,825,045,277,080,186.00
Total Bankroll: 4,825,045,277,080,247.00
Donate
TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!TorontoGold should be giving advice to Kelly!
Toronto Raptors Toronto Maple Leafs England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa View Post
I already did. Just because you all want to believe whatever the msm tells you and don't want to look up the information, doesn't give you the right to pass your opinion on as a fact. It also doesn't;'t give me the right to say things that are not true without the knowledge to post all the information.
I apologize. I'm 99% on this and I hope you want to know too.

As I stated earlier. It might be 6 media outlets/corporations in the north american continent. But most of that list is connected to one thing or another affiliated with the major brands we know today. and fooled you as well as me through the years.

I think you all are trying to wind me up to be honest, and your doing it to start an argument.

I said It. It doesn't mean it's moses and the 10 commandments. It's what I was told by numerous publications on a variety of different levels.
Keep the horse blinders on... IDC
But your claim doesnt even work for North Amercia. Bell/Rogers/Shaw/Quebcor are all seperably owned in Canada. Like if the claim was that there is 6 big media companies that dominate the US media then yeah, you wouldnt have this push back. But, it's not 6 media companies that own the world, it isnt a political or media virus and it isnt the media that's infecting everyone.
TorontoGold is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 08-01-2020, 12:08 AM   #4244
Irishize
Senior

Cash: 53,490,139,314,197.05
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 53,490,139,314,197.05
Donate
Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!

It’s a fair question

Irishize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #4245
Circa
Conspire to keep It real

Cash: 1,389.40
Bank: 34,084,865,623,508,432.00
Total Bankroll: 34,084,865,623,509,820.00
Donate
Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!
Pittsburgh Pirates Cleveland Cavaliers San Francisco 49ers Pittsburgh Penguins Notre Dame 20 - Tony Stewart Liverpool USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoGold View Post
But your claim doesnt even work for North Amercia. Bell/Rogers/Shaw/Quebcor are all seperably owned in Canada. Like if the claim was that there is 6 big media companies that dominate the US media then yeah, you wouldnt have this push back. But, it's not 6 media companies that own the world, it isnt a political or media virus and it isnt the media that's infecting everyone.
Ok, as i said It doesn't take a whole lot but you can connect the dots... I'll just start with Bell. It's shareholders are of The Woodbridge Company and the The Woodbridge Company Is owned by Reuters.. which has Its hand in numerous other news agencies around the world.
So Thomson Reuters Is the owner of Bell.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #4246
Circa
Conspire to keep It real

Donate
Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!Circa should be giving advice to Kelly!
Pittsburgh Pirates Cleveland Cavaliers San Francisco 49ers Pittsburgh Penguins Notre Dame 20 - Tony Stewart Liverpool USA

Ok, I was wrong. I can admit that. It was 6 in the states. But even that Is abhorrent. I am positive if the media giants around the globe would actually make It public who owns the shares that make up their entities, we would find some form of culpability within each media conglomerate.

"By 2011, 90% of the United States's media was controlled by six media conglomerates: GE/Comcast (NBC, Universal), News Corp (Fox News, Wall Street Journal, New York Post) Disney (ABC, ESPN, Pixar), Viacom (MTV, BET, Paramount Pictures), Time Warner (CNN, HBO, Warner Bros.) and CBS (Showtime, NFL.com)."

This was from 2011. The ownership's have changed into smaller groups since then.

I'm done arguing this Toronto. I'll admit i don't feel like looking up all of the ways these companies are connected atm.

Last edited by Circa; 08-01-2020 at 02:17 PM..
Circa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:49 PM   #4247
Circa
Conspire to keep It real

Donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurDocDuLac View Post
Here´s some help Circa. These are the 30 largest media corporations in the world. You mentioned 2, 3 and 16. At least 17 of them are American.

Please tell us which of these six control all the rest (including the hundreds of smaller media companies).
Hint: None of these have a controlling interest in any of the others.

1. Alphabet
2. The Walt Disney Company
3. Comcast
4. 21st Century Fox
5. Facebook
6. Bertelsmann
7. Viacom
8. CBS Corporation
9. Baidu - China
10. News Corp
11. Advance Publications
12. iHeartMedia
13. Discovery Communication
14. Grupo Globo
15. Yahoo
16. Time Warner
17. Microsoft
18. Asahi Shimbun Company —Japan
19. CCTV — China, Alibaba Group
20. Hearst Corporation
21. JCDecaux — France
22. Axel Springer — Germany
23. Mediaset — Italy, Sapin
24. ITV — UK
25. Fuji Media Holdings — Japan
26. Hubert Burda Meda —Germany
27. Gannett
28. ProSiebenSat.1 — Germany
29. Yomiuru Shimbun Holdings — Japan
30. Time Inc.
and ITV...."So Rupert Murdoch has finally got his hands on ITV. ... Rupert has his own British TV empire. LWT is part of ITV. And ITV is no longer the monolith it once was."
Bertelsmann: owned by the same people that own Penguin Random House Books which alot of our college curriculum comes from. The Mohn Family from Germany.....

Last edited by Circa; 08-01-2020 at 06:56 PM..
Circa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:10 PM   #4248
JurDocDuLac
Walk-On

Cash: 20,000,000,000,051,856.00
Total Bankroll: 20,000,000,000,051,856.00
Donate
JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!

Relax Circa. It is not personal.

TL;DR
1 - The "Six Corporations" claim comes from a viral meme in 2011 originating from a (now-defunct?) blog about "Insights on Family, Career and Money" and mostly about financial planning for college (frugaldad.com).
2 - It was not true then; it is less true now (more media corporations now).
3 - Other industries are far more concentrated than media; so what?
---

Frugaldad.com was a personal blog about personal finance. It is apparently gone now.

In 2012 Business Insider published an info-graphic from the blog, with some criticism, but no analysis. And the Wikipedia page (I think that is where your quote is from?), is really questionable (lots of requests for substantiation).

Apparently, FrugalDad´s source was a 2004 book, The New Media Monopoly by Ben Bagdikian, a well-known left-wing journalist biased against large corporations. The book has no source or footnote given for his claim of media control.

The supposed "Six" from over a decade ago has grown with the emergence or expansion of other corporations (e.g. Alphabet, Amazon, Microsoft, Reuters, Bloomberg, iHeartMedia, Twitter, Facebook, etc).

HOWEVER, there is concentrated control over about 50% of United States media by under a dozen corporations and 15 billionaires (that is from my own wasted time educating myself on this).

So you have that going for you.

And anyway, so what?

There is less concentrated control in half the media than there is in the nearly full-market control by fewer corporations in:
Aircraft– four companies dominate almost all airliner manufacturing (Boeing, Airbus, Embraer and Bombardier).
Cars- almost 80% of the market is controlled by 6 companies (GM, Ford, Chrysler Group, Toyota, Nissan and Honda)
Cell Phones- Just two operating systems (iOS and Android) make up over 90% of the market. And five manufacturers make up more than 90% of the world market (Samsung, Huawei, Apple, Xiaomi, BBK Electronics).
Beer- two companies (Anheuser-Busch InBev and MillerCoors) make up 75% of the US market, everybody else is under 2%.

So what?

Do not let some left-wing conspiracy theory mess with ya´ Circa! Relax.

Last edited by JurDocDuLac; 08-01-2020 at 07:55 PM..
JurDocDuLac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:26 PM   #4249
JurDocDuLac
Walk-On

Cash: 20,000,000,000,051,856.00
Total Bankroll: 20,000,000,000,051,856.00
Donate
JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!JurDocDuLac should be giving advice to Kelly!

An industry I used to work in has a very effective PR strategy:
Get any semi-reputable source to print what you wanted people to believe (not an advertisement),
then, based on that, get someone to pick it up,
then another, and so on…

The first step used to be hard, now all you need is an attractive infographic on a blog and a subsequent freelance reporter looking for clicks, and away you go!

Last edited by JurDocDuLac; 08-01-2020 at 07:57 PM..
JurDocDuLac is offline   Reply With Quote