Go Back   Irish Envy | Notre Dame Football Discussion > Play Like A Champion Today > Professional Teams
Front Page Forums REGISTER NOW! Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Live Chat Game Arcade Varsity Club

Welcome to IrishEnvy.com! Founded in September of 2004, IrishEnvy.com has grown into the premiere web portal on the Internet for mature and intelligent Notre Dame Fighting Irish athletics discussion!

You are currently viewing our boards as a Guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our FREE online community, you will have access to post and respond to discussions, communicate privately with other members, and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely FREE, so join the IrishEnvy.com Community today! If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact support and we will assist you.

If you already have an IrishEnvy.com membership account but forgot the username and/or password, use our password recovery tool to access your account information.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #757
greyhammer90
the drunk piano player

Cash: 1,915,866,314,368,691.25
Bank: 16,717,718,285,689,634,816.00
Total Bankroll: 16,719,634,152,004,003,840.00
Donate
greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!greyhammer90 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Atlanta Braves Memphis Grizzlies Tennessee Titans Nashville Predators

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhammer90 View Post
I'm fine with Kerr (or any NBA player) being called a douche bag, its no skin off my back. I'm just saying if you apply the above standard to every company or individual in the public sphere, you're going to find it hard to find anyone who's not a douchebag.

In general I'm trying to get away from the internet thing of calling out hypocrisy of individuals on issues like this. I think the fear to be caught in a contradiction from prior statements or positions has a chilling effect on people trying to express their ideas. (Ironically the only people who won't be afraid of being called out as hypocrites are genuine trolls who don't care, which just means they get more of the market share on takes being spewed.)

BTW you're already seeing something similar with the Chinese nationalist tweeting about the NBA. "Oh, so when a GM says something bad about China's government and country it's free speech and needs to be protected, but Donald Sterling says that he doesn't like black culture and he needs to be banned for life." It's hilarious how this mindset is being weaponized.
Also note that I said I'm willing to give "individuals" a pass on this stuff. Not so much corporations.

A lib/conservative trying to muddle through how they feel about topics by expressing themselves and occasionally contradicting themselves or being cowardly in a particular setting = Usually good. Everyone does this.

Nike/Disney trying to commoditize human rights = Satan

Funnier than you in 2012.
greyhammer90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old 10-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #758
Irishize
Junior

Cash: 53,490,117,078,657.61
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 53,490,117,078,657.61
Donate
Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!Irishize should be giving advice to Kelly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhammer90 View Post
I'm fine with Kerr (or any NBA player) being called a douche bag, its no skin off my back. I'm just saying if you apply the above standard to every company or individual in the public sphere, you're going to find it hard to find anyone who's not a douchebag.

In general I'm trying to get away from the internet thing of calling out hypocrisy of individuals on issues like this. I think the fear to be caught in a contradiction from prior statements or positions has a chilling effect on people trying to express their ideas. (Ironically the only people who won't be afraid of being called out as hypocrites are genuine trolls who don't care, which just means they get more of the market share on takes being spewed.)

BTW you're already seeing something similar with the Chinese nationalist tweeting about the NBA. "Oh, so when a GM says something bad about China's government and country it's free speech and needs to be protected, but Donald Sterling says that he doesn't like black culture and he needs to be banned for life." It's hilarious how this mindset is being weaponized.
I think the point w/ Kerr is that he goes out of his way in a very proud manner to rant about gun control, Trump is racist, etc. That’s fine & is his right but don’t insult the public’s intelligence by playing dumb about China. There may not be consensus in America about gun control or Trump but I bet you can get a large majority of Americans to agree that China is a consistent violator of human rights for generations and there’s little hope that will change.

Is everyone a hypocrite at some point? Sure. But not everyone gets on national television to use their platform to go off subject about something they want to weigh in on. It’s one thing to grab the “trump is racist” low hanging fruit...but he looks like a coward now when he goes all Helen Keller when asked about an obvious topic that he knew would be coming.

As far as the players...meh...they’ll all pretty predictable when it comes to social issues so I’m not surprised on their silence. But Kerr & Popovich come off as bitches.

Jemele Hill had a good take on this topic IMO on Jake Tapper’s show last night. I’m not tech savvy enough to post the video but it’s out there for all to see. She agrees it’s a fair point to point to all the American companies doing the same thing...but again, they're not shooting their mouth off on “feel good” topics that are still devisive so the issue w/ the NBA is more nuanced.

Last edited by Irishize; 10-09-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Irishize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #759
calvegas04
Starter

Cash: 5,449,594,259,339.52
Bank: 0.00
Total Bankroll: 5,449,594,259,339.52
Donate
calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!calvegas04 should be giving advice to Kelly!
Los Angeles Angels Los Angeles Lakers Notre Dame USA

Two fans holding Free Hong Kong signs were kicked out of the 76ers game IN PHILLY
Old 10-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #760
IrishLax
Playing with fire...

Cash: 23,052.71
Bank: 803,063,277,994,709,483,520.00
Total Bankroll: 803,063,277,994,709,483,520.00
Donate
IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishLax should be giving advice to Kelly!
Washington Nationals Washington Redskins Washington Capitals Notre Dame

IrishLax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:09 PM   #761
ulukinatme
Holtz/Triumph in 2016!

Cash: 276,758.70
Bank: 7,510,420,170,124,619,776.00
Total Bankroll: 7,510,420,170,124,896,256.00
Donate
ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!ulukinatme should be giving advice to Kelly!
Notre Dame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLax View Post

Time to start an NBA boycott. Remember when we used to stand for freedom in this country?
ulukinatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #762
Irish#1
Living Your Dream!

Cash: 4,001,762,082,669,958.00
Bank: 30,187,717,689,904,688.00
Total Bankroll: 34,189,479,772,574,644.00
Donate
Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!Irish#1 should be giving advice to Kelly!
New York Yankees Indiana Pacers Indianapolis Colts Notre Dame

The NBA dipped their toe into politics when they had the fiasco over the All Star game and Carolina with the LGBT protests and now they want to tip toe.

We all know it's about the money. The NBA has an opportunity here to place themselves above all other pro sports and take a stand on humanitarian rights, but they won't. Can you imagine the great publicity they would get? How much is that worth? Imagine the public pressure China would feel from the rest of the world. The NBA needs to pull out of China and let them squirm.

LeBron, Kerr, Popovich, how come you're being quiet?
Irish#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:29 AM   #763
IrishSteelhead
All Flair, No Substance

Cash: 33,659.86
Bank: 9,204,556.10
Total Bankroll: 9,238,215.97
Donate
IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!IrishSteelhead should be giving advice to Kelly!
Chicago White Sox Chicago Bulls Chicago Bears Chicago Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish#1 View Post

LeBron, Kerr, Popovich, how come you're being quiet?

Pop KIND OF lauded Silver for backing Morey, but turned it into an opportunity to bash Trump instead lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk